collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: If Hasbro would bring back all G1 Ponies...  (Read 5773 times)

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
Re: If Hasbro would bring back all G1 Ponies...
« Reply #60 on: June 21, 2016, 05:10:27 PM »
If I was the one in charge of doing this, I would probably look at going with the U.K. names and variations.  The U.K. Princesses with their dragon attendants are so much better than the U.S. versions.  The Adventure Boys were better named than the Big Brothers.  Even Sweetie is a better name than Sweet Stuff.  Even the side characters of the U.K. comic need more recognition (Wantall is a much better bad guy than the Witches of the Volcano of Gloom).

I would also release them as toys.  They're just as much for kids looking for "new" ponies as collectors looking for "old" ponies.  I would adjust the general mold to be more pony-like, but I wouldn't make it exactly like the originals.  There are some ponies I think should be in different poses (Like Wind Whistler and Surprise switch poses).

And I would like to see the media bring back something recognizable but new.  Flesh out the notable characters more as well as the relationships and sense of community.  Play up connections to Norse Mythology like FiM does with Greek Mythology.

Really, I would want to release the G1 ponies again because I want to walk into a toy store and see a child looking at a Wind Whistler and wanting her because she's a beautiful pony and maybe kids who feel like they don't fit in quite right relate to her social struggles on TV.

If the collectors are happy, fine.  However, kids and play come first.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 02:48:22 AM by Al-1701 »
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline BlushingBlue

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 21, 2016, 07:05:05 PM »
Since this is just pie-in-the-sky what-if'ing, I prefer to approach this sort of topic optimistically. :) We all know Hasbro can't/won't get it perfect in the real world, but it's fun to imagine.

So, I personally would be all for a G1 style remake, with the caveat that they be new ponies, and not just rehashes of already existing designs. I wouldn't want a reproduction Glory or Moondancer, or even Mimic, because that's boring to me. Re-releasing ponies is how you get Core 7/Mane 6 madness! :P But it would be amazing to buy a brand new sparkly Twinkle Eye or plush So Soft. Or those glorious celestial ponies! :inlove: The "missing link" swaps seem pretty popular, so I don't think I'm alone in that feeling. I think buying a truly new G1 style pony would be the closest I'd come to experiencing this mysterious nostalgia that some people have for ponies.

And granted, it's probably not actually possible, but if Hasbro could make ponies with the style and quality of G1s, I would happily pay collector prices for them. $25 for an actual tenth Big Brother? Bring it on! :P I was doubly disappointed by the 25th anniversary remakes because not only were they same-old ponies, but the price (and hence, quality) were obviously aimed at "child's disposable toy" level, not "collector's item" level. As a bonus, Hasbro doesn't have to worry about media and merchandise tie-ins with collectors pieces, so no cartoons to mangle!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 21, 2016, 07:12:16 PM »

When I came online years ago, Red Roses wasn't really rated. Sea Ponies were ignored. Most regular ponies sold for reasonable prices. Time has meant flea markets are less prolific, but we still hear stories of people finding rare ponies and buying lots from original collectors.

back in my day I had to walk up hill both ways in the snow to buy ponies...now these kids just click and button and get them delivered right to they're door...

Curse you progress!!!

Hi Taff!! ;)

OH WAIT...I used to have ponies delivered right to my door by hasbro...(grins) nevermind. Although I had to mail them points and send them a check and wait like...4-6 freaking weeks to get the pony.

again, kids these days are so spoiled (hehe) :lol:

We' adults are good being spoiled. Fifteen miles uphill barefoot and the snow has its downsides.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline marblecheshire

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 21, 2016, 07:26:42 PM »
I personally have no problems with them bringing the originals back. I prefer the G1s to the FiM line and love finding retro styles in stores. I would buy up all the different sea ponies in a heart beat. I think it would actually drive the market up with people wanting to own as many as possible and in new condition. For me it would not lessen the value of the original ponies at all. Obviously serious collectors would stick to the vintage ponies and eBay would be a nightmare trying to determine which are originals and rereleases.

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 21, 2016, 11:39:40 PM »

This reminds me of whenever something from the past gets a remake people go "wahhhh my childhood is ruined!" and tbh that's rather silly and over dramatic. It's not like the remake can go into the past and overwrite the original ones or erase your memories.

Tbh a better reason is if they were all rereleased they would be competing with the current G4s. Because of that I don't think that more than just a few sets would be a good idea. Also in the 80s Hasbro wasn't very concerned about being green so the packaging was bigger which meant it wasted  more space in transportation and on store shelves as well as not being the ideal way to display a collector's item. I'd rather see a neat display box that can easily be folded down.

I think that's a personal decision and depends on the individual. I don't collect "objects", I collect nostalgia. The core of my collecting is the history of MLP, the variations, the differences and the story of the pony line in the UK. That is what I collect. Backcards. Information. Details. All my ponies are working ponies in the sense they are part of information provision.  I genuinely spend more time tracking down backcards that I don't yet have an example of than I do individual ponies these days. And many UK backcards are more difficult to find than the Greek Nirvanas that go for silly money. But that's what I collect. I am looking for that history.

So to say it's silly when it is what I collect is really rather offensive and entirely unnecessary. Just because it isn't something you can relate to, doesn't make it an invalid point of view.

I can't really comment on what Jem the movie did to people's childhoods, as I wasn't a collector of Jem as a child. And I don't collect Jem "history", so it's not quite the same thing to me. I dislike the movie but I also ignored it and moved on. MLP is different, though.

Besides, as I said before, the idea of rereleasing G1 would probably follow Hasbro's mould of uniform sales. And I do not want the ponies of my childhood renamed and repackaged to fit the US model. No offence to the US, but that's not my childhood.

If there stopped being mysteries and clues and things to piece together in the UK history of MLP, I'd probably lose interest. And that would be sad. So, for me, something like this would destroy the whole concept of MLP for me.

I don't think that's overdramatic. It just depends if you collect ponies for the reason of having ponies, or if you collect them as history. And I am the latter. :)

The thing that I think is strange is the difficulty in separating something and accepting it as part of the past. G1 was a long time ago now. G2, 3 4 has happened. We've learned, so has Hasbro. We've changed, so has Hasbro. The market has, the world has, everything has. Yet people are still stuck in this mythical idea that, if only G1 came back, everything MLP would be perfect.

To me that's silly. My Little Pony is what it is to us because it wasn't designed to be a collectable. It was a toy, we played with it, we introduced it to the next generation, we made it what it is. We don't need that to come back. I don't understand why its a bad thing to let the past be the past. Yeah, there are ponies I'll never get and things that probably no longer even exist any more. Huge swathes of items from the UK line, packaging, MIP items, etc - they have never yet been found, and may never be. Far fewer UK packaged items survive compared to US ones.But that is also part of history. You can't keep every memory. Only the precious ones.

I think that not being able to accept something as past is much stranger than being fond of that past and wanting to preserve it.

But I'm a historian. So I may be biased.

The other element in this is whether or not the idea of bringing them back as a whole line of toys from start to finish is really intended as a great thing for MLP, or whether it is just an expression of frustration because those ponies are expensive now, or hard to find.

But the people who did that to the market...that's us. We created those prices. Look at all the price checks. Look at all the people seeking certain ponies because they are sought after and rare. We generated this cycle as collectors. When I came online years ago, Red Roses wasn't really rated. Sea Ponies were ignored. Most regular ponies sold for reasonable prices. Time has meant flea markets are less prolific, but we still hear stories of people finding rare ponies and buying lots from original collectors.

So when we find those lots and sell those ponies, like Mimic or Red Roses, for higher prices, we're creating the issue of value ourselves.

So bringing back the whole line of MLP and demolishing the 1980s as it was in order to fill those collection gaps is really what I find overdramatic. If we don't like the prices as a collecting community, that's some complete other issue to tackle among ourselves. We don't need 13 years of identical G1 ponies to restock shelves over the world in order that people can fill gaps in their collection and leave the rest to shelfsit.

It's like killing an ant with a bulldozer...

I mean it's doubtful it would ever happen but if it did why not just ignore them? If they aren't the same anyways what difference does it make? Why can't you just collect and enjoy your UK originals? Not everyone collects MLP for the same reason. I didn't even grow up with G1 but I have learned appreciate it.

I do agree it's not a great idea to do more than maybe a few lines here and there tho. It wouldn't be as special if it was so many ponies. Also not every past MLP release was great. There were a few lines that make one wonder what they were smoking at Hasbro.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 12:07:14 AM by Wardah »
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline shadowlark

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 22, 2016, 12:06:02 AM »
I wouldn't want them to bring back the original ponies but I would love for them to release new sets of new ponies in the G1 style. There's so many ideas they could do - I love the idea of celestial themed ponies. Or a set of 12 like the birth flower ponies but with signs of the zodiac. Or if they were really ambitious they could make a pony for every country of the world (so many ponies!! I'd buy them all!) with maybe the country's flag on one side and something representative of the country on the other, like a bald eagle for the US or a beaver for Canada LOL I don't collect anything other than G1s unless I get a random G2/3/4 in a lot, so I'd love to see old style ponies with new themes.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #66 on: June 22, 2016, 01:28:29 AM »

I mean it's doubtful it would ever happen but if it did why not just ignore them? If they aren't the same anyways what difference does it make? Why can't you just collect and enjoy your UK originals? Not everyone collects MLP for the same reason. I didn't even grow up with G1 but I have learned appreciate it.

I do agree it's not a great idea to do more than maybe a few lines here and there tho. It wouldn't be as special if it was so many ponies. Also not every past MLP release was great. There were a few lines that make one wonder what they were smoking at Hasbro.

I think I just explained why its not about ignoring them, and so I'm not going to repeat myself on that count. But if you want it in succinct terms, because if everything is available, there is no mystery. It's like putting in cheat codes in a game. It may seem great at first, but ultimately it ruins the challenge and takes the point out of the game.

I already find it incredibly sad how many UK people have abandoned the names and such of their childhoods to conform to the American naming convention. It's their choice, it's not mine - but its already hard enough to preserve something that's really piecemeal and overshadowed by the US line. It would be the same ponies, but US names and US cards, and that's my objection. Being swallowed up by the generic conformity of modern Hasbro's attitude to packaging, naming and distribution. I grew up with Strawberry Fair, not Sugarberry. And it would really upset me to see her on shelves here as Sugarberry. I am still annoyed by modern UK paraphernalia that uses the name Princess Sparkle.

What I really object to is the idea that it's silly or selfish to want to preserve the irreplaceable nostalgia of childhood but it's not at all silly or selfish to want everything reproduced just so individuals can fill gaps in their specific collections. Admittedly not everyone is posting in that vein, but as I said before, is it really valid to have the whole rerelease of G1 just for the purpose of filling those rare gaps? I think that if this was going to be considered as a hypothetical possibility, it shouldn't be for individuals to get ponies they don't want to pay collector prices for.

I especially think it's wrong to try and undermine or comment on the validity of that point of view if you didn't grow up with G1.  Everyone who did has their own thoughts, but if you didn't grow up with it, how can you really comment on that element?

I'm an old school collector. A re-release would not make them G1. They would still be a new generation. And copies.

I really feel that there's no point in filling your collection with fakes and copies of things. And this would be the same to me as that. It's just my personal point of view and I think that's as valid as anyone else's.

I'd rather have gaps. And I'd rather leave G1 in the past. If you're not willing to go the extra mile to collect the old stuff, maybe its the wrong generation to collect. I don't have tons of money, but I don't see the point in a collection that's easy and where everything is remade to collector convenience.

All for new G1 style ponies, even new members of old sets. Against rereleases of old ponies unless they are in different moulds or somehow updated and changed.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline daffodil101

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 22, 2016, 01:42:40 AM »
This is a really hard one.  I rather dislike the repros that they made a few years ago, being 'sort of' but very obviously reproductions.  If they were exact, though?  Really hard.

I would definitely want them to be marked '2018' or whatever on the hoofs.  To me it would be important to differentiate.

I think it would be awesome for kids today to have the experience of opening up ponies at birthdays and Christmas.  I reckon if kids saw a G1 next to a G4 at a toystore a lot of them would choose the G1s.  They are just timeless in design in a way other gens aren't (to me at least).  Sort of like ho Sylvanian families are making a comeback.  It's so sweet to watch a little girl open and be delighted by beautiful old-style toys.

I think it totally depends on your perspective - collector or little kid!  I love the idea of restoring old ponies to be played with, but nothing can replicate the experience of opening that magical packaging.  Then again, to me ponies are sort of sacred, and the idea of making them again... I feel conflicted!

I'd be up for a few ideas-- maybe releasing a set as Petite ponies, or those Celestial ponies that never got to production.  But I expect the quality wouldn't be the same.  Toys just aren't made like they used to be- it's all about cheap production now, not the magic like it was back then.

Also-- I agree maybe the ideas for new ponies were starting to dry up by the end of the line.  Even the names of subsequent gens are somehow different.  Does anyone know what I mean?  Ultimately I think it's best to leave it be.

Offline WaterRaven

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
    • Detective Docherty
« Reply #68 on: June 22, 2016, 02:16:02 AM »
I would be somewhere in the middle. Buying brand new ones and keeping some of the old ones. I'd love some nice, shiny new ponies though  :lovey:

Offline Twizel

• Switchblade Kitten
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • This crown gives me a feeling of power! POWER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 22, 2016, 04:06:50 AM »
I would probably buy whichever ones I could find, and not really bother to distinguish. I love the originals, but so many of them are in bait condition due to plastic breakdown. I'd also love the change to get them new. For my favorite sets, though, like the sparkle ponies - 80s originals all the way!

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 22, 2016, 07:27:57 AM »

I think I just explained why its not about ignoring them, and so I'm not going to repeat myself on that count. But if you want it in succinct terms, because if everything is available, there is no mystery. It's like putting in cheat codes in a game. It may seem great at first, but ultimately it ruins the challenge and takes the point out of the game.

I already find it incredibly sad how many UK people have abandoned the names and such of their childhoods to conform to the American naming convention. It's their choice, it's not mine - but its already hard enough to preserve something that's really piecemeal and overshadowed by the US line. It would be the same ponies, but US names and US cards, and that's my objection. Being swallowed up by the generic conformity of modern Hasbro's attitude to packaging, naming and distribution. I grew up with Strawberry Fair, not Sugarberry. And it would really upset me to see her on shelves here as Sugarberry. I am still annoyed by modern UK paraphernalia that uses the name Princess Sparkle.

What I really object to is the idea that it's silly or selfish to want to preserve the irreplaceable nostalgia of childhood but it's not at all silly or selfish to want everything reproduced just so individuals can fill gaps in their specific collections. Admittedly not everyone is posting in that vein, but as I said before, is it really valid to have the whole rerelease of G1 just for the purpose of filling those rare gaps? I think that if this was going to be considered as a hypothetical possibility, it shouldn't be for individuals to get ponies they don't want to pay collector prices for.

I especially think it's wrong to try and undermine or comment on the validity of that point of view if you didn't grow up with G1.  Everyone who did has their own thoughts, but if you didn't grow up with it, how can you really comment on that element?

I'm an old school collector. A re-release would not make them G1. They would still be a new generation. And copies.

I really feel that there's no point in filling your collection with fakes and copies of things. And this would be the same to me as that. It's just my personal point of view and I think that's as valid as anyone else's.

I'd rather have gaps. And I'd rather leave G1 in the past. If you're not willing to go the extra mile to collect the old stuff, maybe its the wrong generation to collect. I don't have tons of money, but I don't see the point in a collection that's easy and where everything is remade to collector convenience.

All for new G1 style ponies, even new members of old sets. Against rereleases of old ponies unless they are in different moulds or somehow updated and changed.

You know what I do have a nostalgic connection to? G1 LPS. And tbh I would be quite happy if some of them got rereleased. I wouldn't want everything to get a rerelease because some things like the cartoon sets were not popular even when they released and sets like the SeaWorld ones would be a tad controversial now. Same thing hold true for ponies since I don't think anyone really wants a rerelease of the eyelash Princesses or the Ballerinas for example. Then again the G1 ponies I'd love to see get a rerelease the most are the Perfume Puffs since unless you open a MIB which is a big nono, their hair is gross. Even if it has been brushed out it isn't quite the same and even brushed yarn rehairs, while the closest that can be managed are not quite the same. A few repros of some more popular ponies in nice single packaging would be a much better idea. Something like what Bridge Direct is doing with SSC.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 07:29:43 AM by Wardah »
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline SummerSkye

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+68)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 22, 2016, 08:17:57 AM »
Ok this thread is a bit TLDR   :lol:

I'm going to keep my comment short haha. Exact repros - no.  I'd love if we could get more of the mini ones like the Glory and Firefly that came with the little books. I would be all over that.

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 22, 2016, 08:58:06 AM »
If they were to bring back gen 1 I say bring the ones we never had in the first place.

Offline dragonfly

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 22, 2016, 10:09:06 AM »
Nah, part of the novelty for me is that they're childhood friends. I bought the two collector's pose re-release sets when they came out a few years back, but they've been sitting in my closet. I'll sell them on eBay. No sentimental value to me, they're just ponies I bought.

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #74 on: June 22, 2016, 04:08:36 PM »
Then again the G1 ponies I'd love to see get a rerelease the most are the Perfume Puffs since unless you open a MIB which is a big nono, their hair is gross.

I removed all of mine from MIB and they're a big poofy unbrushable frizballs, it's just they're nature, even new.

I was never totally partial to the poofs. Plus, I always wished Red Roses actually had Red hair instead of light pink.

I actually like the one's people customize, they seem more managable than what hasbro created back in the day. Or at least I bought a G4 at last years fair that someone customized and I like her puffypoof hair a lot better than the original G1's.
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal