collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: If Hasbro would bring back all G1 Ponies...  (Read 5778 times)

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
Re: If Hasbro would bring back all G1 Ponies...
« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2016, 06:05:38 AM »
Gets all the new ponies...house explodes.... neighborhood kids bust out pool nets as toys magically rain from the sky...Michael bay moment confirmed...

I think of all the Surprise's I could buy! "throws money at Hasbro!" I also would like have a shot at getting more accessories that I couldn't find otherwise.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2016, 06:39:55 AM »
Wouldn't buy most of them, but definitely the ones I wanted. Including those that were formerly international exclusives. The Mountain Boys, Nightlight and Raindrop, Cascade, the Seaside Babies, the Rollerskate Ponies, the Cookery ponie, Hopscotch and Baby, Non BBEs. Europe has the best ponies!

Post Merge: June 21, 2016, 06:40:33 AM

Gets all the new ponies...house explodes.... neighborhood kids bust out pool nets as toys magically rain from the sky...Michael bay moment confirmed...

I think of all the Surprise's I could buy! "throws money at Hasbro!" I also would like have a shot at getting more accessories that I couldn't find otherwise.

Hasbro suit steps out of office, gets hit in the face with money.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 07:49:52 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #47 on: June 21, 2016, 06:41:48 AM »
Nooo.. why it would be fun to see them in original packings in stores again it would completly destroy the feel of it. Wouldn't it also devalue the vintage ones? If they bring back a couple of few, like the anniversary ones, perhaps. But for all of them, no. I do not want them back.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2016, 07:07:04 AM »
Nooo.. why it would be fun to see them in original packings in stores again it would completly destroy the feel of it. Wouldn't it also devalue the vintage ones? If they bring back a couple of few, like the anniversary ones, perhaps. But for all of them, no. I do not want them back.

Your worried about the devaluation of a hunk of degradable 5 dollar plastic?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 07:50:27 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Twilight Pink

• TwinkieMomo
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Green Day
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 21, 2016, 07:36:26 AM »
I would buy all the boy ponies (excluding the colts) and call it a day.
Oh no!
avi by kittywhiskers :kyo: .

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #50 on: June 21, 2016, 07:42:21 AM »
Hasbro suit steps out of office, gets hit in the face with money.

:lmao:

Offline Chelsea7

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2016, 07:50:40 AM »
I think I would only really buy pony replacements for those in my collection that are victims of severe hair and body fading, such as PP Dainty Dahlia. I want my ponies to be as authentic as possible, and I wouldn't want some replacements that could be lesser in quality and would fade/fall apart within a couple of years.

However, I would really be interested in the boys. The Mountain Boys are outrageously expensive, but I prefer them to the US Boys that were released (not a sports-fan).
My Tumblr

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 21, 2016, 08:47:37 AM »
Sorta related but are the repro ones they made during G3 okay for custom bait?
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #53 on: June 21, 2016, 09:11:47 AM »

I guess it depends what you're looking for.  They have a different body material (harder and cheaper) than real G1s, and their mold is slightly "off" from real Collector ponies; their eyes are small and they look kind of depressed.  They fall on their noses even more than real Collector ponies, but that might not happen if you gave them a really thick tail. If you're okay with that then they would make fine custom baits.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline bluerose9978

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+450)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/oh5/bluerose9978/MLP
« Reply #54 on: June 21, 2016, 09:19:41 AM »
Honestly, I think I would only buy the ponies I don't already have. I like having the old ones for the nostalgia.

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 21, 2016, 12:31:10 PM »

I guess it depends what you're looking for.  They have a different body material (harder and cheaper) than real G1s, and their mold is slightly "off" from real Collector ponies; their eyes are small and they look kind of depressed.  They fall on their noses even more than real Collector ponies, but that might not happen if you gave them a really thick tail. If you're okay with that then they would make fine custom baits.

What about the ones from the Rainbow sets? Just in case I ever come across them at a yard sale or thrift store.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #56 on: June 21, 2016, 03:25:08 PM »
I don't see the point, and they already did a re-releasing with those anniversary/rainbow/original ponies release. And they were not exact...EXACT replicas.

If hasbro decided they're going to do G1's over I would think they might re-release the most popular and then make either whole new characters or make characters that are popular now.

If they're exactly like what we had back in the 80's then seriously why not make new ones.

But then again, the whole process of toy making ponies now is make the exact same 6 ponies over and over again and throw in one or two oddballs. Why waste your time on being creative when consumers are willing to buy the exact same pony over and over.  :lol:
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #57 on: June 21, 2016, 03:43:20 PM »

This reminds me of whenever something from the past gets a remake people go "wahhhh my childhood is ruined!" and tbh that's rather silly and over dramatic. It's not like the remake can go into the past and overwrite the original ones or erase your memories.

Tbh a better reason is if they were all rereleased they would be competing with the current G4s. Because of that I don't think that more than just a few sets would be a good idea. Also in the 80s Hasbro wasn't very concerned about being green so the packaging was bigger which meant it wasted  more space in transportation and on store shelves as well as not being the ideal way to display a collector's item. I'd rather see a neat display box that can easily be folded down.

I think that's a personal decision and depends on the individual. I don't collect "objects", I collect nostalgia. The core of my collecting is the history of MLP, the variations, the differences and the story of the pony line in the UK. That is what I collect. Backcards. Information. Details. All my ponies are working ponies in the sense they are part of information provision.  I genuinely spend more time tracking down backcards that I don't yet have an example of than I do individual ponies these days. And many UK backcards are more difficult to find than the Greek Nirvanas that go for silly money. But that's what I collect. I am looking for that history.

So to say it's silly when it is what I collect is really rather offensive and entirely unnecessary. Just because it isn't something you can relate to, doesn't make it an invalid point of view.

I can't really comment on what Jem the movie did to people's childhoods, as I wasn't a collector of Jem as a child. And I don't collect Jem "history", so it's not quite the same thing to me. I dislike the movie but I also ignored it and moved on. MLP is different, though.

Besides, as I said before, the idea of rereleasing G1 would probably follow Hasbro's mould of uniform sales. And I do not want the ponies of my childhood renamed and repackaged to fit the US model. No offence to the US, but that's not my childhood.

If there stopped being mysteries and clues and things to piece together in the UK history of MLP, I'd probably lose interest. And that would be sad. So, for me, something like this would destroy the whole concept of MLP for me.

I don't think that's overdramatic. It just depends if you collect ponies for the reason of having ponies, or if you collect them as history. And I am the latter. :)

The thing that I think is strange is the difficulty in separating something and accepting it as part of the past. G1 was a long time ago now. G2, 3 4 has happened. We've learned, so has Hasbro. We've changed, so has Hasbro. The market has, the world has, everything has. Yet people are still stuck in this mythical idea that, if only G1 came back, everything MLP would be perfect.

To me that's silly. My Little Pony is what it is to us because it wasn't designed to be a collectable. It was a toy, we played with it, we introduced it to the next generation, we made it what it is. We don't need that to come back. I don't understand why its a bad thing to let the past be the past. Yeah, there are ponies I'll never get and things that probably no longer even exist any more. Huge swathes of items from the UK line, packaging, MIP items, etc - they have never yet been found, and may never be. Far fewer UK packaged items survive compared to US ones.But that is also part of history. You can't keep every memory. Only the precious ones.

I think that not being able to accept something as past is much stranger than being fond of that past and wanting to preserve it.

But I'm a historian. So I may be biased.

The other element in this is whether or not the idea of bringing them back as a whole line of toys from start to finish is really intended as a great thing for MLP, or whether it is just an expression of frustration because those ponies are expensive now, or hard to find.

But the people who did that to the market...that's us. We created those prices. Look at all the price checks. Look at all the people seeking certain ponies because they are sought after and rare. We generated this cycle as collectors. When I came online years ago, Red Roses wasn't really rated. Sea Ponies were ignored. Most regular ponies sold for reasonable prices. Time has meant flea markets are less prolific, but we still hear stories of people finding rare ponies and buying lots from original collectors.

So when we find those lots and sell those ponies, like Mimic or Red Roses, for higher prices, we're creating the issue of value ourselves.

So bringing back the whole line of MLP and demolishing the 1980s as it was in order to fill those collection gaps is really what I find overdramatic. If we don't like the prices as a collecting community, that's some complete other issue to tackle among ourselves. We don't need 13 years of identical G1 ponies to restock shelves over the world in order that people can fill gaps in their collection and leave the rest to shelfsit.

It's like killing an ant with a bulldozer...
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 03:56:26 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #58 on: June 21, 2016, 04:14:17 PM »

When I came online years ago, Red Roses wasn't really rated. Sea Ponies were ignored. Most regular ponies sold for reasonable prices. Time has meant flea markets are less prolific, but we still hear stories of people finding rare ponies and buying lots from original collectors.

back in my day I had to walk up hill both ways in the snow to buy ponies...now these kids just click and button and get them delivered right to they're door...

Curse you progress!!!

Hi Taff!! ;)

OH WAIT...I used to have ponies delivered right to my door by hasbro...(grins) nevermind. Although I had to mail them points and send them a check and wait like...4-6 freaking weeks to get the pony.

again, kids these days are so spoiled (hehe) :lol:
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #59 on: June 21, 2016, 04:16:30 PM »

When I came online years ago, Red Roses wasn't really rated. Sea Ponies were ignored. Most regular ponies sold for reasonable prices. Time has meant flea markets are less prolific, but we still hear stories of people finding rare ponies and buying lots from original collectors.

back in my day I had to walk up hill both ways in the snow to buy ponies...now these kids just click and button and get them delivered right to they're door...

Ditto to that ;) Only more rain, less snow. And no buses.

*Gives cookies*
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal