collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Do you think the Celestial ponies would have had a gimmick?  (Read 2289 times)

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Do you think the Celestial ponies would have had a gimmick?
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2016, 01:31:23 PM »
I think their antennae would have been GITD, and maybe parts of their symbols, over marbled bodies.  Maybe pearly like the Hair Do ponies, but IN the plastic, and swirled. 

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2016, 01:54:05 PM »
Given the era, and when they were supposed to come out- and the fact that Hasbro had the Moondreamers line that also had a "celestial" theme-

I would say that they probably had glow in the dark features.  Probably their antlers and maybe swirled into their bodies.

Kinda like the Moondreamer steeds.

Offline BlushingBlue

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2016, 03:10:35 PM »
Ah, the Fairy Brights... so mysterious... I have thought about them probably too much!

I personally imagine they would've taken a page from the Moondreamers' book and been both metallic and glow in the dark.

I think their white/pink swirly stripes would have glowed, but I don't think they would be embedded in the plastic. Making a vinyl pony that is evenly and distinctly marbled and not blotchy seems like it would be incredibly difficult to manage in a rotomold scenario. They could've been designed to be cast in a different way than usual, but I think the likelier explanation is paint. The pattern does seem really complex to be a mask stencil, even more than the Flower Fantasy ponies, but making a pearl/glow marble paint dip would be even more inefficient and expensive. (Maybe being stuck between impossible and expensive is why they nixed it?) Three of the four ponies' symbols seem like they might be glow in the dark (the neon colored stars, rocket, and moon) but the blue and white planets kind of break the pattern. Not that it would be impossible to do in gitd paint, just... why? Ditto for their eye colors.

Their hair almost definitely would've been glow in the dark. The Moondreamers were already using the aqua and pink gitd colors for Whimzee and Crystal Starr, respectively, and planning on magenta for Nightingale, and white gitd hair is almost trivially easy by comparison. And the glints certainly point to tinsel, hopefully metallic in a color to match their antennae. I don't think their antennae bobbles are gitd due to their colors, but I'm on the fence. I do think they're embedded like the Hairdo ponies' thingies, not removable accessories. (And they would've totally broken off like Flutter wings. :P)

The fact that there are four in the set and that they (probably) have a similar gimmick to the Moondreamers indicates that they would've been slated for production around 1989. Before that, ponies were overwhelmingly six to a set, and Hasbro switched to three to a set around 1991, which gives us a Year 8-9 window for the Fairy Brights. This also fits with the time around which Hasbro started using more intense colors for the backcard backgrounds, like that rich blue. I think they must have been designed before the Glow-n-Shows in Y9, because why have two sets with the same gimmick in the same year? Plus, the Moondreamers (in)famously had a 1988 line in pre-production that was scrapped at the last minute. If there were problems with the gitd hair/paint, then that could be what doomed the celestial ponies too. Then their concepts got reabsorbed into other ponies like the GnS, Flower Fantasy, Color Swirl, and Hairdo ponies later on. (And Hasbro shipped all the extra aqua gitd hair to Europe for princess mashups? idk)

Yeah, lotsa thoughts. :lookround:

Offline Princess_Luvlee

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2016, 03:33:22 PM »
I bet the antenna would go into holes on either side of the main betwixt their ears, like a fork with 2 prongs. And they'd be made of glow in the dark plastic.

Hasbro can DO glow in the dark toys *so* well. With the name, Fairy Brights, you just knew these were gonna glow way way better than the glow n show ever culd. (not that I don't love)

The ponies themselves would have been mostly translucent with metallic(or pearly) and glow in the dark swirls all throughout. Translucent plastic marbled with glow int he dark plastic and also metallic plastic.

The symbols would have had glow in the dark outlines painted on.

They would have had glow in the dark streaks in their hair, like Moon Dreamers, instead of tinsel. No more tinsel.

When they DIDN'T make this set I swore off ponies for a decade. I'd love to see someone cast a pony & do these justice.

Offline vampyrefay

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • Is it halloween yet?
    • View Profile
    • Canadian My Little Pony Collectors
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2016, 04:02:32 PM »
I always though they would be glow in the dark with translucent swirled plastic similar to the glow'n'show ponies, I love the little head boopers they have, I really with they made this line  :cry:
My icon is my ponysona Persephone pomegranate

Offline northstar3184

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2016, 04:51:37 PM »
When they DIDN'T make this set I swore off ponies for a decade. I'd love to see someone cast a pony & do these justice.

I'd really love to see someone draft up a petition to Hasbro. I know they've made some retro MLP toys already, but it'd be great to see them do a whole retro line and introduce these as part of that line. With enough people within the MLP community expressing interest maybe it can happen.

Offline HelloGoodbye

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2016, 05:07:37 PM »
I agree with the glow in the dark idea!!  That would have been so cool!  I also think it would have been better to have the antenna attached to their head directly.  It would be more fun and unique that way I think!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to Nence for my adoptable!

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2016, 05:23:52 PM »
I'm thinking they would have been a lot like the Hair-Do UK ponies...
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Clipper

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+122)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Clipper
    • View Profile
    • Clipper's Sail
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2016, 07:11:31 PM »
my favorite un-produced set! If anyone is attending pony fair this year, you might want to come to the meet and greet Thursday night. I'm not throwing much out there, but the special presentation may have something to do with these ;-)

Offline BlushingBlue

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2016, 09:31:18 PM »
my favorite un-produced set! If anyone is attending pony fair this year, you might want to come to the meet and greet Thursday night. I'm not throwing much out there, but the special presentation may have something to do with these ;-)

Whaaaaaat. If the secret history of the Fairy Brights is revealed at an exclusive pre-meet I will be salty af. Flames. On the side of my face.

Offline lunar_scythe

• factory error Blue Belle
  • Gold Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+84)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2016, 09:50:45 PM »
...now im wondering if the glow in the dark hair that the princess varients have was meant for these?
My Army of Bluebelles (New pic coming sooner or later)

Offline Lilja

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2016, 11:46:33 PM »
The fact that there are four in the set and that they (probably) have a similar gimmick to the Moondreamers indicates that they would've been slated for production around 1989. Before that, ponies were overwhelmingly six to a set, and Hasbro switched to three to a set around 1991, which gives us a Year 8-9 window for the Fairy Brights.

This is a good point! I think it's also noteworthy that the fairy brights are all earth ponies. In years 8-9 Hasbro still included unicorns and pegasi in the sets if they were made in the traditional molds. In year 10 they scrapped unicorns and pegasi altogether, with the exception of the paradise baby set.

So maybe these were not going to be made in the traditional molds?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 11:48:52 PM by SpikeTheDragon »

Offline Skeen

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2016, 08:04:28 AM »
Flames. On the side of my face.

::fangirls::

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2016, 01:33:28 PM »
The fact that there are four in the set and that they (probably) have a similar gimmick to the Moondreamers indicates that they would've been slated for production around 1989. Before that, ponies were overwhelmingly six to a set, and Hasbro switched to three to a set around 1991, which gives us a Year 8-9 window for the Fairy Brights.

This is a good point! I think it's also noteworthy that the fairy brights are all earth ponies. In years 8-9 Hasbro still included unicorns and pegasi in the sets if they were made in the traditional molds. In year 10 they scrapped unicorns and pegasi altogether, with the exception of the paradise baby set.

I think there was a lot of speculation they were going to be in the flutter molds...

Offline Skeen

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2016, 01:39:26 PM »

I think there was a lot of speculation they were going to be in the flutter molds...

I own a custom set in flutter molds but I always pictured them in the Bride pose Hasbro favored in later years. 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal