collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: I adopted a ferret! Lots and lots of pictures!  (Read 805 times)

Offline Rainbowrific Renia

• A Pony Lost in the Stars
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Crazy ferret lady!
    • View Profile
I adopted a ferret! Lots and lots of pictures!
« on: June 01, 2016, 09:57:34 AM »
So I'm sure anyone who knows the story of my last two ferrets is probably tired of hearing it. Long story short, both of my (very young) ferrets passed away within two weeks of each other. Latte left us a few days after Christmas, and Furret left us shortly after the new year began. Those two were my whole life- outside of my husband, my profile picture here is of the two of them (Furret on the left, Latte on the right), and I seriously loved them so much.

So, skip ahead to April. I "liked" a ferret rescue page on Facebook, and the shelter is in the Pittsburgh area, just a half an hour away from me. The woman who runs it posts that she and her husband are going on vacation mid-May and need some knowledgeable volunteers to watch after the ferrets she has in her care. There are a BUNCH of ferrets, and she spent a ton of time grouping them together to go to various homes for the week and a half that she'd be away. After discussing it with my husband, we decided it'd be a good time for us to get back into the swing of things with ferret care. I message the woman to let her know that we're interested, and she got back to me with this picture:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

"I was thinking of letting you watch Maximus." She started, "He needs some TLC to finish recovering from severe flea bites." His previous owners didn't feed him the correct types of food, and he was abandoned, later found just walking down the street, covered in fleas and near death. I was crying when she told me all of this, but seeing that picture made me smile so much. He's such a cutie!

We went to pick him up and the woman informed us that he was off of the meds he had been on for his anemia! It was great news, since that was a sign that he was getting better, and we didn't have to worry about making sure he took his medicine. We were also told that he wasn't very playful, and that his back legs were too weak for climbing activities. He also isn't a fan of other ferrets, and we think it's probably because he can't really keep up with your typically ferret. She wasn't sure of his age, but estimated that he's about 4, and may be developing Adrenal Gland Disease (which isn't deadly if it's treated. Our ferret Furret had the disease and was fine up until he ended up having unrelated problems).

Anyway, we had him for the duration of the week and a half and fell in love! He actually loved playing with us and running around our bedroom. He especially seemed to like our cage set up, which is just the cage being in our walk-in closet, which is between our bedroom and master bathroom. We can shut the bedroom and bathroom doors, so that he only has access to our bedroom and the closet. There's a scratching post in the closet as well, and various toys in our room for him to play with. He ended up sleeping so much because he'd just wear himself out playing! He's litter trained, so we have litter pans set up in our room and in his cage and he knows to use them (huuuuuuge plus, because our other two ferrets pooed and peed where ever they felt like it). He also really liked my pony room, so I snapped a few pictures of him during his time in there (as well as his new favorite hiding places) and posted them to the ferret rescue page.

After he had been with us for a week, I messaged the ferret rescue lady and told her that we were interested in adopting Maximus. She was thrilled at the idea and said we'd talk it over when she got back from vacation.

So, as obvious from the title of this topic, we were able to adopt him! He's such a wonderful addition to our family and he loves everyone. We had a cookout at our house on Monday, so he got to meet our family and friends, and he was so playful with everyone. We've met a vet appointment for him so that, if there are any problems, we can work on them so he can live a happy life with us. Our plan was to adopt a ferret in the near future, but we didn't think it'd be this soon. We just knew there was no way we couldn't adopt Maximus, he's the sweetest.

Here are a few more pictures:
Spoiler
He likes cuddling with me (our other ferrets didn't), but he especially likes sleeping in the "crinkle sack", which makes crinkly noises every time he moves, but hey... whatever floats his boat...

Instagram / Want List

Offline shelvesofwhimsy

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Shelvesofwhimsy
    • View Profile
    • Toy Collector & Miniature Maker
Re: I adopted a ferret! Lots and lots of pictures!
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 10:09:43 AM »
He is the sweetest!! I am so so so happy to hear that he's found a permanent home with you :D
I'm happy you have a new carpet shark in the family  :lol:
He sounds like he'll be a handful!

Offline pickwick_pirate

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 10:20:16 AM »
What a cutie, I am so pleased that you have a new ferret baby to love. I know how devesated you were by losing your other two and the whole ordeal did sound awful :(
He seems like a wonderful boy.

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 10:30:25 AM »
Congrats on your new sweet baby! He is adorable.
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline True

• Eartha Uncorn
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Unicorn of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Truly Customs
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 12:17:23 PM »
aw what a cutie! Iv always wanted a ferret! But just couldnt afford it I guess, also my cat would probably make it very uncomfortable. but I love seeing other peoples photos!
:heart: My Sales Thread :heart:
Toola Roola Avatar by Pikashoes!

Offline HorsingAround

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2016, 06:50:52 PM »
He's adorable! And, he clearly likes ponies so he's definitely a keeper!!  :biggrin: lol
Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Gandhi

Offline Honeycomb

• Looking for BB brushes and bandannas!
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+137)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Wanted: MIB FT Baby Tic Tac Toe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2016, 08:07:51 PM »
That's just wonderful news! I remember how devastated you were after you lost your two babies, I'm so happy to see that your hearts are open again to give your love to another ferret! He sure looks happy to be with you!
So cute!!!!

Bommels

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2016, 12:51:01 AM »
Oh, he's so cuuuute ^_^ I'm so happy to see you're giving him a loving home, I think that was exactly what he needed :)

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2016, 09:40:25 AM »
Adorable!  Im glad you were able to give him a loving home :)

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2016, 09:53:58 AM »
He is so ridiculously cute!  Ferrets are hilarious (if a teensie slightly bit destructive) animals-  A friend of mine had ferrets, they would hide the craziest stuff under the sofa (up in the netting where you couldn't find it!)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2016, 10:01:56 AM »
What a cutiepie! It sounds like you guys came into each others lives at just the right time. Congrats to all of you. :grouphug:
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2016, 03:52:50 PM »
I am so glad for him and you!  He's going to have such a loving family!  Thanks for rescuing this cutie!
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2016, 04:45:08 AM »
Very cute! Congrats!

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Koudoawaia

• Storm Dragon
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dragon with the heart of a guinea pig
    • View Profile
    • FA Gallery
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2016, 10:02:37 AM »
It sounds like he settled in with you really quickly and he's adorable. Really happy that you have him^^

Many thanks to FairieFalls for my sig image and many thanks to Shaiyeh for my avatar :art:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal