collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Horse People: Suggestions on good side pulls/bitless bridles?  (Read 395 times)

Offline Katika

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Hey everyone :)

My senior Arab, Star, has worn his second premolars to almost nothing and as such has been having an increasingly difficult time comfortably carrying his bit. He's the sort of horse that's only happy if he has a job, but with his mouth's changes, his job is making him uncomfortable.

He's too sensitive for most hackamores I've come across (though I'm not opposed to the right one, if there's one to suggest) and my mostly-English background has me a little uncomfortable using a bosal (I often find myself seeking contact, regardless of headgear), which has led me to the side pull option. He's got a super petite head, even for an Arab and shopping for tack online always frustrates me a bit because I'm scared of wasting money on something that ends up not being what I want.

Any suggestions? I'm open to most anything, and we've been getting by with hacks in his halter, but I'd like something that can give a little clearer communication so I can feel more comfortable straying from the arena and immediate property lines :) Thanks everyone!

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
Re: Horse People: Suggestions on good side pulls/bitless bridles?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 03:06:52 PM »
Bits and hooves are two things I've always struggled with when working with horses. There are just so many elements. Does your horse stay at a stable or at home? If he is at a stable is there a trainer you can speak with? I only ask because my horses I live in a farm and don't have access to bits unless I buy them. When I barrel raced and went to different clinics or saw different trainers they kept a variety of bits to try and it was just sort of clean and then working through them finding which was the best fit for my horse at the time. He was an ex race horse and had a sensitive mouth, but had other needs too. It allowed me to test different bits but not buy one till I actually tested and found one that worked for him. I'm not sure that's an option for you but do wish you the best of luck.
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline Katika

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 05:37:45 PM »
My horses live at home with me :) It's not so much a sensitive mouth thing with him as it is a he's missing the teeth that are at the back end of his bars thing, so a bit won't stay in the proper place because there's nothing to hold it there.

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2016, 07:24:44 AM »
Ibhave no advice but I'd love to see pics of your horse! He sounds gorgeous!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal