collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Childhood Memories of Ponies  (Read 2719 times)

Offline Tracks

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
Childhood Memories of Ponies
« on: May 07, 2016, 12:16:46 PM »
As an adult I've been rebuilding my collection as my childhood collection was all sold when it was thought I was too old for them.

I remember having Tracks (Steamer) as a child and I use to put 2 or 3 ice cream cartons together with him in the front one so that it formed a train!

What sort of things did you do with your ponies as a child?

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Childhood Memories of Ponies
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2016, 12:26:16 PM »
*blink* is that my sister's pony in your avatar? (And yay for UK names, by the way xD)

...So yeah. Memories. My earliest pony memory is shoving Windy in a maroon easter egg box and tipping water over her. No idea why I did this. I was about three. Poor Windy. Another early childhood memory was making Masquerade fly (ie throwing her across the school playground...).

There was also pony chase. I guess you guys know kiss chase or some similar variation? We didn't do the kissing. We took unicorn ponies and we chased the boys and they ran away. They used to take our ponies and throw them on the school roof, so we had to defend our assets and prove we weren't just helpless girls who were gonna let that go. Fizzy was the best deterrent pony. Boys don't like being prodded with unicorn horns. Lesson for the future, that one.

I used to take ponies to school, too. Lots of school related memories. My close friends and I also did sleepovers where we'd trade a pony for the night. One friend had Tic Tac Toe and I had the baby, so we'd quite often arrange for them to visit each other. (I have that Tic Tac Toe now. Thankfully, as no other would be the proper 'mother' for my pony!)

I also remember my friend and I both had Milky Way at the same time - but mine was silver starred and hers white. It's because of that I know both were sold here in the UK new.

One weird thing I remember from when I was about eight was with the Brush and Grows. For some reason we were convinced it made their hair shinier if you put pencil shavings in it, and then brushed it. I guess the logic worked only because getting them out took a lot of brushing...somehow Braided Beauty and my friend's Bouquet survived this, but not sure how.

Oh yes. I remember going to that same friend's house and her mother taking us shopping and then to their country club (they were way fancier a family in that regard than I was xD first time I ever went to a place like that, and possibly the only time). We got to go to the swimming pool and my friend had just got Backstroke second hand. I had Ripple and Sunshower so I remember we took them swimming in the country club pool xd.

What else. Oh yes. Sister and I used to take ponies on journeys. Sometimes on holiday, often for walks around the forest. I made scarves and legwarmers for them when it was winter.

And on one occasion we tied laces and ribbons around Sand Digger and Mainsail and hung them out of my bedroom window to make their hair change colour.

It's sort of amazing our ponies aren't wrecked, considering...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Tracks

• Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2016, 12:29:05 PM »
*blink* is that my sister's pony in your avatar? (And yay for UK names, by the way xD)

I don't know, I just googled images of Tracks and this is ine that came up.

I do apologise if it is indeed your sisters and will take it down if you/she wish

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2016, 12:34:21 PM »
No, it's fine, I don't mind. It was just surprising. I was like, oh, that pony's familiar...

It was the image originally on my website for Tracks' ID page, but sister found his hat (or rather, I found his hat when sorting sister's ponies with her) and so I took an updated picture. It's still on the link frame though.
http://www.etherella.com/scrapbook2/1987_bigbrotherponies.htm

I don't think it's  an issue of you use it. The images are all up there on the net anyway, and it's not like you're using it for nefarious purposes xD.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2016, 12:40:09 PM »
I remember taking all my baby ponies outside and giving them a "shower" with the watering can.  :)

Also putting on a play where Baby Bouncy was the dragon (with the dragon suit), Baby Moondancer was the princess, and Baby Cuddles was the dashing prince.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

mskittylovesrobin

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2016, 12:57:47 PM »
I remember lining the mountain boys up on an empty shoe box made to look like a stage. And had the ponies be the audience and the boys "perform" like a boy band rotfl! I believe it was bee gee's you win again when it was on American top 40 with casey kasem in 1989 hahahahahaha happy days!

Offline NigheanRuadh

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Pony rescuer!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2016, 03:25:52 PM »
I mostly remember you people with whom I played.  My sister is nine years older than I, so she wasn't often willing to play with me, but I loved it when she did.  She had ponies that I didn't and rarely let me even touch them, which made playing with them extra special.

I also took ponies to school and played with them at recess and while waiting for my mom to pick me up.  It was a private school, so the parents dropped off/picked up the children.  The children of parents who couldn't get them right after school would go out to the athletic field to wait.  I spent a couple hours a day out there, until my mom got off work, so I took various things to keep me occupied, and ponies were among them.  One of my classmates also had ponies, and sometimes we played together.

Most of my pony memories, though, come from playing with the girls (sisters) who lived down the street from me.  They had even more ponies and accessories than I did, and I spent hours playing with them.  (I am pretty sure they had Rapunzel in their herd.)  I was very sad when they moved away.

Offline Honeycomb

• Looking for BB brushes and bandannas!
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+137)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Wanted: MIB FT Baby Tic Tac Toe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2016, 05:45:15 PM »
I remember I played with the Sweet Celebration family at a Spanish beach. Wind, sea water, sun, sand. Perfect combination to preserve ponies well! I had a small inflatable boat and they sailed it on the water. Such fond memories!

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2016, 06:08:02 PM »
I used to act out plays with my ponies like full ones. I think it was a lot of fun. I love to do that again someday. :)

I just remembered I used to put my baby ponies in a 'pet basket' it was the big wicker kind. I would make that as a nursery. Since I never had the pony nursery as a kid. I wanted it SOOO bad but my parents wouldn't get it for me. I would put my baby ponies to bed in their cribs and tuck them in. I would usually play with them under my grandmas table or outside on the front lawn. I don't remember playing them alot with my childhood friends but my best friend would play ponies with me. I used to go to her house alot and she had Twilight. So yes I do have some good pony childhood memories.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 11:51:51 AM by SkyCakes »

Offline Poster

• Colorswirl Pony
  • Beeeee fliiiiies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2016, 08:28:21 PM »
I actually don't have a whole lot of pony memories; as a kid I wasn't as into them as I was into dolls and dinosaurs. I do remember getting a small yellow pony with wings--probably Rosedust or Little Flitter, and I'm suspecting the former because I know I didn't have her for very long at all, and I vaguely recall her having broken. But she was fun while she lasted. I remember being handed her, box and all, in my grandparents' driveway one evening, and making her "fly" around the yard and in the house.

I did get pretty enamored of the Petite Ponies when those came out; I had a few sets and wanted them all, but never got around to it. Those are the only other ponies I'm absolutely sure I had as a kid.

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2016, 09:03:52 PM »
I actually don't have a whole lot of pony memories; as a kid I wasn't as into them as I was into dolls and dinosaurs. I do remember getting a small yellow pony with wings--probably Rosedust or Little Flitter, and I'm suspecting the former because I know I didn't have her for very long at all, and I vaguely recall her having broken. But she was fun while she lasted. I remember being handed her, box and all, in my grandparents' driveway one evening, and making her "fly" around the yard and in the house.

I did get pretty enamored of the Petite Ponies when those came out; I had a few sets and wanted them all, but never got around to it. Those are the only other ponies I'm absolutely sure I had as a kid.

I don't remember being much into ponies either; I was more of a Barbie kid.  :)

That said, I do remember receiving Wind Whistler.  I thought she was beautiful and I loved her colors.

I don't remember getting Raincurl but I do remember owning her and trying to figure out how to play with her.  She was too small to interact with my Barbies and I didn't own any other ponies at the time, so she just sort of sat around and got her hair braided a lot (I also learned how to braid hair on her.)

Also have a vague memory of playing ponies (and Barbies) with my best friend in second grade.  Wish I could recall whom she owned.  :)
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline northstar3184

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2016, 10:50:43 PM »
My ponies went on life-threatening adventures that involved homicidal monsters. Usually most of the ponies died, leaving a couple survivors. Many such adventures were less child-friendly reenactments of MLP episodes with graver outcomes: Ponies who lost their shadows to Arabus died, as did those who were turned to stone by Crunch the Rock Dog.

I also loved playing with them in the bathtub. Morning Glory, Moonstone and Sweet Stuff had many bathtime adventures.

Offline Tracks

• Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2016, 12:49:19 AM »
No, it's fine, I don't mind. It was just surprising. I was like, oh, that pony's familiar...

It was the image originally on my website for Tracks' ID page, but sister found his hat (or rather, I found his hat when sorting sister's ponies with her) and so I took an updated picture. It's still on the link frame though.
http://www.etherella.com/scrapbook2/1987_bigbrotherponies.htm

I don't think it's  an issue of you use it. The images are all up there on the net anyway, and it's not like you're using it for nefarious purposes xD.

Thank you  :)

Post Merge: May 08, 2016, 12:51:36 AM

I've just remembered a few more things.  A pony used to come everywhere with me (Not always the same pony) they went to church, went to services at the Cathedral, our for meals with us, you name it!

There are a few photos at my parents house of me outside with an assortment of ponies during warm weather and I'd got the bath from the Lullaby Nursery and was giving them all a bath in that!  Happy Days!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 12:51:36 AM by Tracks »

Offline HelloGoodbye

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2016, 07:10:05 AM »
I was little during the G3 years (I was in first or second grade when G3 got started), and I remember bringing Rainbow Dash to school with me.  When one of the teacher's aids in my class saw her she got so excited because she didn't realize that My Little Ponies had come back.  She played with G1 in the 80s when she was a kid so it was fun for her to see that they were back.

I also remember winning Island Delight as a prize in a costume class at a horse show held around Halloween.  My old horse was behaving terribly, so it had been an awful show.  I was SO CLOSE to scratching him from the costume class because I just wasn't in the mood to go get embarrassed in the ring and nearly fall off again, but I decided to do it because I had worked really hard on our costumes.  For whatever reason, he decided to get his act together and behave himself, and we wound up getting fifth overall in a class of 30+ horses, and my prize was Island Delight.  It made me so glad that I decided to ride in the class anyway, and she's still a favorite in my collection to this day. 

Thanks to Nence for my adoptable!

Rainbow berry1978

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2016, 07:31:41 AM »
I just sold most of my collection  :satisfied:
But I have saved those I have memories from when I was a little girl  :blush:
Spicaly the one I got from my Grand dad  :cry:
Most ponies gives me memories every day, some smell like old days.
Red Roses have a spicial smell, so she brings memories  :P
Also my 2 first ponies, Glory and Bubbles gives memories  :lovey:
Some give bad memories and some good memories  ^.^
But still love them all  :biggrin:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal