collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Those wallets that are supposed to protect your credit cards.....  (Read 1224 times)

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Those wallets that are supposed to protect your credit cards.....
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2016, 08:56:03 PM »
As has been mentioned, the anti-RFID wallets only block the tap-to-pay function type of theft, which doesn't seem terribly likely in your scenario.  It's more common in major high traffic areas where it's easy to get close to people's wallets, and card skimmers and crooked clerks are still far more likely information breaches.  It's possible even the doctor's office computers have been targeted - most older businesses don't tend to be as careful about securing their electronic files against theft as they should be.  Or it could be an inside job, hard to say. 

Do you know what the scammers used your mom's card to buy?  Maybe it'd be possible to talk to the credit card company and set up some kind of extra security, particularly if your mom only uses it at certain stores or businesses.  I know I've had to talk to a VISA person when making an unusually large purchase before.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline sailorstitch

• Trade Count: (+94)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Instagram @sailorstitch
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2016, 07:42:58 AM »
As has been mentioned, the anti-RFID wallets only block the tap-to-pay function type of theft, which doesn't seem terribly likely in your scenario.  It's more common in major high traffic areas where it's easy to get close to people's wallets, and card skimmers and crooked clerks are still far more likely information breaches.  It's possible even the doctor's office computers have been targeted - most older businesses don't tend to be as careful about securing their electronic files against theft as they should be.  Or it could be an inside job, hard to say. 

Do you know what the scammers used your mom's card to buy?  Maybe it'd be possible to talk to the credit card company and set up some kind of extra security, particularly if your mom only uses it at certain stores or businesses.  I know I've had to talk to a VISA person when making an unusually large purchase before.

First time they bought pizza in FL (and they didn't share with me!) then tried to transfer money through Pay Pal to CA.

Second time the paid for a couple dozen Lyfy Rides and a few stops at Google King, all in CA.

sailorstitch

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2016, 01:44:32 PM »
Hm, well that potentially gives you an out - I'd talk to your CC representative and see if they'll be willing to put an extra level of confirmation on any out-of-state / online purchase.  Might help with peace of mind, if nothing else?
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2016, 04:26:38 PM »
Yuck! That's not good. As others have said, the problem in her case seems like it might be elsewhere, but as far as I know the wallets work for the previously mentioned cases.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline sailorstitch

• Trade Count: (+94)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Instagram @sailorstitch
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2016, 07:27:17 PM »
Thanks guys! As far as I can tell my mom's card doesn't even have the tap to pay feature. I just didn't want her wasting her money on one of those wallets if it wasn't going to help any.

Hm, well that potentially gives you an out - I'd talk to your CC representative and see if they'll be willing to put an extra level of confirmation on any out-of-state / online purchase.  Might help with peace of mind, if nothing else?

I'll talk to my mom about that.

sailorstitch

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal