collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Recommended Episodes for a first time G1 Viewer?  (Read 7737 times)

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
Re: Recommended Episodes for a first time G1 Viewer?
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2016, 04:02:31 PM »
Make sure you see the uncut versions of Rescue at Midnight Castle and Escape from Catrina! :) The edited-for-time/DVD cuts of those cut out some of the songs.

She has a solo song section in Baby it's Cold Outside ;) A rousing song to brighten the hearts of the troops. :) I always think of it as her song, even though that annoying Megan takes it over I believe.

Nope, Galaxy sings "We're Not Gonna Freeze" entirely by herself. (I think that's one of the only G1 songs to be sung solely by one character, actually)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2016, 05:37:50 PM »
Make sure you see the uncut versions of Rescue at Midnight Castle and Escape from Catrina! :) The edited-for-time/DVD cuts of those cut out some of the songs.

She has a solo song section in Baby it's Cold Outside ;) A rousing song to brighten the hearts of the troops. :) I always think of it as her song, even though that annoying Megan takes it over I believe.

Nope, Galaxy sings "We're Not Gonna Freeze" entirely by herself. (I think that's one of the only G1 songs to be sung solely by one character, actually)

Does she? Hrm. My first instinct was that she did, but then I thought Megan sang some of it. Maybe I'm just predisposed to expect that because Megan butts into so many songs.

I like "I'm not gonna freeze", though. It has spark xD.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline northstar3184

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2016, 07:21:55 PM »
Thank you everyone for the recommendations!
This gives me a good list to start on, I look forward to watching~

It'll be interesting to see ponies from my collection with a voice

@northstar3184- I'm definitely checking out animated Galaxy, she's my favorite TE and honestly I think my favorite pony in my collection!

I could put money on this thread before I even clicked it to have mass recommends for Rescue at Midnight Castle. I think it remains the classic. But I also think that there's fun stuff in a lot of the episodes. How expensive is the DVD box set of all episodes these days? ;)

I got the complete series off Ebay for $21.00 earlier this month. Now I just need the movie.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2016, 07:24:08 PM »
Thank you everyone for the recommendations!
This gives me a good list to start on, I look forward to watching~

It'll be interesting to see ponies from my collection with a voice

@northstar3184- I'm definitely checking out animated Galaxy, she's my favorite TE and honestly I think my favorite pony in my collection!

I could put money on this thread before I even clicked it to have mass recommends for Rescue at Midnight Castle. I think it remains the classic. But I also think that there's fun stuff in a lot of the episodes. How expensive is the DVD box set of all episodes these days? ;)

20-30 bucks
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Sweet_Stuff

• C.Storm Certified Pony Genie
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2016, 07:49:04 PM »
Great info. I haven't watched but one episode so far. I barely remember watching Rescue at Midnight Castle as a kid. :lol:
:)

lostpony

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2016, 12:54:18 AM »
I have only seen RAMC in its episode-cut form, and I did watch it first and so far I am only less than halfway through the rest of the episodes, watching them in order...The End of Flutter Valley was a bit ponderous at 10 redundant episodes to get through first but it was fun to know where the intro footage came from (ramc) and I love the  way Applejack opens her mouth in shock just before getting tackled by Firefly's bad landing!

Does anyone (I would say anypony but we are talking G1 in this thread) know where to get the unedited Rescue and Midnight Castle?  I couldn't find it on DVD or anywhere else I know to look.  Help!

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2016, 03:13:17 AM »
The unedited version is floating around the internet somewhere.  I have a copy on my computer that was released a couple years ago for its 30th anniversary.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Sparkle Pony

• F.O.E. Pony
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • I'm not scrawny, I'm svelte!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2016, 06:18:25 AM »
Ah, my favorite are:

Rescue at Midnight Castle
The Return of Tambelon
Crunch the Rockdog

Have fun!

Offline QueenStarglow

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • The Glow 'N Show Queen
    • View Profile
    • The Glow 'N Show Stables
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2016, 06:23:21 AM »
I argee with everyone else! Start with Rescue at Midnight Castle and Escape from Catrina!

I tend to like the darker, scarier episodes like Somnambula and Return of Tambelon. Definitely watch Quest of the Princess Ponies and The Golden Horseshoes!

My Little Pony Blog: http://glownshowpony.tumblr.com | The Glow 'N Show Stables: http://glownshowpony.weebly.com
GnS Stables Sale thread G1-G4: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,378506.0.html
MLP:FiM Gameloft friend code: f52c0

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2016, 06:31:07 AM »
I have only seen RAMC in its episode-cut form, and I did watch it first and so far I am only less than halfway through the rest of the episodes, watching them in order...The End of Flutter Valley was a bit ponderous at 10 redundant episodes to get through first but it was fun to know where the intro footage came from (ramc) and I love the  way Applejack opens her mouth in shock just before getting tackled by Firefly's bad landing!

Does anyone (I would say anypony but we are talking G1 in this thread) know where to get the unedited Rescue and Midnight Castle?  I couldn't find it on DVD or anywhere else I know to look.  Help!

Sadly the uncut version was never released on DVD.  Whenever I want to watch it, I have to pull out my trusty old VHS tape.

But here it is on YouTube.
This is only the first of 3 parts.  You can search for it under "my little pony pilot uncut"

http://youtu.be/kknbjwYWwaU
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 06:34:55 AM by Sunset »

Offline SnorkMaiden

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2016, 06:46:29 AM »
I'm surprised no one had mentioned "The Revolt of Paradise Estate" yet. Such a charming episode, one of my favourites as a child. The end is so touching!  ;) :lovey:

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2016, 06:59:13 AM »
Oh! I did forget that. I love Revolt of Paradise Estate. Yes, listen to Snork Maiden, she knows what she's talking about.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 08:15:50 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Chelsea7

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2016, 07:28:06 AM »
So I checked out a ton of the episodes and loved them!
Especially Galaxy's solo~

I still have a few I need to knock off, but overall the series is very charming.

Some of the 80s animation errors are hilarious XD
My Tumblr

lostpony

« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2016, 10:45:10 PM »
Thanks so much Sunset for the link to uncut ramc!  :frolic:

I didn't see anyone mention one of my favorites so far, "The Glass Princess" where the pig princess is shockingly powerful after she steals the pony magic.  I especially like the scene where the ponies are put through a conveyor-belt carwash-style ponywash and how shocked the poor ponies look while the Raptorians are brushing their hair and putting terrible makeup on them: so ironic as this is what happens to our little ponies in real life!  And their manes grow back in seconds, unlike our real life ponies, too bad!

Offline Mermaid

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2016, 12:20:29 AM »
My favorites  are:
The magic coins
Somnambula
Return of tambelon
Ghost of paradise estates
Fugitive flowers
Woe is me
Quest of the princess ponies
Crunch the rock dog
Baby it's cold outside
Revolt of paradise estates