collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How much stuffing does a Jumbo G3 plush need?  (Read 669 times)

Offline Sea_Breeze

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
How much stuffing does a Jumbo G3 plush need?
« on: April 25, 2016, 02:04:56 AM »
So I have a wisteria I'm currently Re stuffing she's sucked 2kg of stuffing already just working out if I need another 1kg or would 500g be sufficient? Stuffing isn't overly cheap here so I don't want to over compensate if I can help it. Hopefully someone has had some experience restuffing :)
Too many of us are not living our dreams because we are living our fears - anonymous

appleponygal

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: How much stuffing does a Jumbo G3 plush need?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 06:09:04 AM »
I make toys sometimes and I'm not expert But it depends how full the pony is already. Also with stuffing it depends if you like your toys stuffed loosely or firm.Would be very hard to estimate without pictures. But maybe somebody who has stuffed the pony you mention would be able to offer more advice. :)

Offline Aurora

• Wingless Flutter Pony
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 10:21:05 AM »
I actually am stuffing one this week! According to the directions, it says ten pounds of stuffing. So far I've put two bags of stuffing (I'm not sure of the weight, I buy it by the bag at wal-mart!) into her, and her legs are full enough. I'm pretty sure she's going to take ten bags of stuffing by the time I'm done. That will be about $35 worth of stuffing! Wowzer!

I'll take a look at the weight of the stuffing tonight and get back to you tomorrow. I can say that if you are in doubt, put more in rather than less. I've always been unhappy with my plushes if I scrimp on the stuffing, and with a little bit of time and punching, they settle more than I expect.

(Is the Wysteria the same size as the giant Frilly Frocks? She's the only giant plush I've seen in person, so she's the only one I can compare to.)
Thanks so much to Calico_Star for her beautiful work on my Avatar!
**want list**  **for sale**

Offline prancingstag

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 09:56:27 PM »
The giant ponies that I own are all in the 5kg (11 lb) range, I've never unstuffed one but I assume you can subtract a little bit of that as the weight of the skin and the leg supports. So maybe 4kg of stuffing?

Offline Aurora

• Wingless Flutter Pony
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 10:30:48 AM »
I checked, and the stuffing bags I buy are one pound. So my guess of ten bags seems about right! I'll let you know for sure next week, after I've gone stuffing shopping and finished her up!  If you know before me, feel free to tell me!

Offline rosesare

• Trade Count: (+298)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 06:27:14 AM »
Not very helpful other than to say A LOT! Bags and bags.  Although when they are originally stuffed there is cardboard tubes in the legs to help them hold their shape.  Sort of like two V's are formed by taping the ends of and stuffed down the front and back.  In some of the giant plushies I've made I haven't had cardboard tubes strong enough handy so I went and bought cheap plastic piping from the hardware store. IMO that ended up being way stronger anyway.  That might save you a little bit of stuffing at least. 

Offline nhal039

• Trade Count: (+171)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 12:05:55 AM »
I weighted mine they are 5 kgs so i would say way more stuffing!

Offline Aurora

• Wingless Flutter Pony
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2016, 01:12:36 PM »
Not very helpful other than to say A LOT! Bags and bags.  Although when they are originally stuffed there is cardboard tubes in the legs to help them hold their shape.  Sort of like two V's are formed by taping the ends of and stuffed down the front and back.  In some of the giant plushies I've made I haven't had cardboard tubes strong enough handy so I went and bought cheap plastic piping from the hardware store. IMO that ended up being way stronger anyway.  That might save you a little bit of stuffing at least. 

A little off-topic, but how big are those tubes? I have some hard cardboard tubes from work, but they might be too big.

Offline Sea_Breeze

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2016, 03:40:07 AM »
Thanks for the replies... I think another 1 kg HOPEFULLY will do..

As for those tubes, I thought they were the same but one was slightly longer and I got them back to front... SO frustrating unstuffing then restuffing... with fluff all around
Too many of us are not living our dreams because we are living our fears - anonymous

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal