collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Saw Thundercloud in a Child's Toy Box Today!!!  (Read 1195 times)

Offline icecreamgirl

• Trade Count: (+140)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
Saw Thundercloud in a Child's Toy Box Today!!!
« on: April 19, 2016, 02:26:25 PM »
Today I was visiting a family at home through my work when I spotted some G1 ponies in the little girl's toy basket! I was so surprised to see Thundercloud!
I asked her Mum about him and she said they were her childhood ponies and she had the whole set of Mountain boys upstairs and her little girl plays with them in bath!  :cry:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Thanks to lunar_scythe & kittywhiskers for my adoptables

Offline Jorgito93

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
Re: Saw Thundercloud in a Child's Toy Box Today!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 02:35:18 PM »
I understand that knowing rare ponies like them are being played with in those conditions is kinda hard when you are a collector, but before being rare ponies that collectors want, the mountain boys are toys after all.If a little girl is having fun with them i don't see any problems.But maybe you should stay in contact with the family if later in a couple of years the girl wants to get rid of her ponies.

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 02:40:09 PM »
Did you give her mother a heads-up about the value of those ponies? Its one thing if they're just being played with, but bath toys are often discarded once they get too moldy and gross.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2016, 02:46:39 PM »
They're toys. I think it's lovely that the kid is playing with them and getting love and enjoyment from them so long after their original owner grew up. Also, possibly they were dear to the mother and that's why she's shared them with the child. It seems unlikely that a mother who knows what you were talking about, knew she had the whole set and kept them for her daughter is going to toss them out without proper consideration.

All the ponies we collect now survived childhoods - ours or someone else's. It's not like this kid is the first to ever play with them in the bath.

I think it's fine like this. It doesn't matter what the ponies are. They were for the kids first.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2016, 02:53:39 PM »
Agreeing with others. Ponies are toys and to still be loved by a child is an amazing thing since most of them just end up at garage sales or on eBay to bring in a buck. It's nice a child is enjoying those older ponies. They were meant to be used and loved. ^.^
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2016, 03:00:42 PM »
That's hard to see as a collector, but I think it's sweet that the mother passed her childhood toys along to her kid.

I might warn her about the possibility of the ponies getting interior rust or mildew from being in the bath, though.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline okamigirl64

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • "I used to wonder what friendship could be."
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2016, 03:24:22 PM »
Situations like this always reminds me of Toy Story 2.  :lol: As a collector, you tend to see something as it's value in terms of either money or rarity. However, you just have to remember that they are in fact toys, and the value of seeing someone happily playing with an old toy is worth much more than the value on eBay.  ^.^

Offline Jorgito93

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2016, 03:28:31 PM »
Situations like this always reminds me of Toy Story 2.  :lol: As a collector, you tend to see something as it's value in terms of either money or rarity. However, you just have to remember that they are in fact toys, and the value of seeing someone happily playing with an old toy is worth much more than the value on eBay.  ^.^
Please no, don't make me want to listen to When She Loved Me again, i don't have anything to wipe my tears.
Your last sentence is so beautiful and true.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 03:31:46 PM by Jorgito93 »

Offline SunbeamV

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2016, 04:55:13 PM »
While I think it's great that old toys are still being loved and played with by kids since they're toys first and foremost, I think there's also valid reason to be concerned about it? 30+ year old toys don't match up to today's safety standards regarding chemicals and I'd be concerned about undesirable things leeching out of the ponies from age related breakdown or heavy play wear and tear and onto the skin of a smaller, more vulnerable human. :huh:

Offline daffodil101

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Saw Thundercloud in a Child\'s Toy Box Today!!!
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2016, 05:14:44 PM »
Eek, what a mixed feeling!  I felt like that when my sister said she was going to give her MIB Hip Hop pony to her little girl to open.  (Hasn't done it yet... there's still hope!)  It's sort of hard to see, but at the same time it's lovely that a little girl adores them.  And it's always possible to restore ponies.  The mum obviously knows what they are, so if she doesn't hang onto them it's likely they'll turn up on ebay one day.

Of course you never know-- the little girl might become a collector herself when she gets older, especially since they've been passed on through her family :) 

Post Merge: April 19, 2016, 05:15:43 PM

While I think it's great that old toys are still being loved and played with by kids since they're toys first and foremost, I think there's also valid reason to be concerned about it? 30+ year old toys don't match up to today's safety standards regarding chemicals and I'd be concerned about undesirable things leeching out of the ponies from age related breakdown or heavy play wear and tear and onto the skin of a smaller, more vulnerable human. :huh:

Wow, I've never thought about this.  Sort of a horrible thought!  Has anyone ever looked into this or done any testing/research?

Offline Big_Brother_Bufftusk

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2016, 05:16:09 PM »
Please no, don't make me want to listen to When She Loved Me again, i don't have anything to wipe my tears.
Your last sentence is so beautiful and true.

...Thinking of that scene totally shut the collector in me up *lol* yea, they're meant to be enjoyed, valuable or not.

Offline Tiggums6

• Valkyrie of the Victory
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2016, 08:03:04 PM »
when I was at my daughter's preschool a couple of weeks ago I noticed a mummy and baby Meadowsweet with the G3 ponies, so interesting seeing where ponies pop up.
Remember kids....don't drink and ebay...

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2016, 08:07:36 PM »
They're toys. I think it's lovely that the kid is playing with them and getting love and enjoyment from them so long after their original owner grew up. Also, possibly they were dear to the mother and that's why she's shared them with the child. It seems unlikely that a mother who knows what you were talking about, knew she had the whole set and kept them for her daughter is going to toss them out without proper consideration.

All the ponies we collect now survived childhoods - ours or someone else's. It's not like this kid is the first to ever play with them in the bath.

I think it's fine like this. It doesn't matter what the ponies are. They were for the kids first.

Took the words right outta my mouth. They are toys first and foremost, they are sturdy and a much beloved gift passed down from  a mom who was saving them for her own kids.

I passed down my childhood Littlefoot to my daughter, so that she could have adventures with him too.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Mermaid

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2016, 09:30:33 PM »
Oy! Mixed feelings too! While I understand that they are toys, it'd still make me go crazy! Haha! I would have left my number and been like "when she outgrows them please let me know if you'd like to sell!" :)
Thanks to calico star for my avatar!

Offline icecreamgirl

• Trade Count: (+140)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2016, 11:21:34 PM »
Oy! Mixed feelings too! While I understand that they are toys, it'd still make me go crazy! Haha! I would have left my number and been like "when she outgrows them please let me know if you'd like to sell!" :)

Yep that's kind of how I felt! I did tell her they would be worth some money and I know they struggle a bit financially, but she said as they were her childhood ponies she wouldn't want to sell - which I can totally relate to as I would never sell mine, they are worth more than any money to me. Then she went on to say that maybe when her little girl had outgrown them but they would probably only be fit for the bin by that point!
Thanks to lunar_scythe & kittywhiskers for my adoptables

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal