collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Goldfish help please!  (Read 991 times)

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
Goldfish help please!
« on: April 19, 2016, 07:38:20 AM »
Anyone here keep goldfish? And I don't just mean you have a bowl with a goldfish in it, I mean someone who KNOWS goldfish, goldfish are his/her passion. I need help.

I want to get a goldfish tank. I want 2 telescope eyes or the like. Is the recommendation still 30 gal for the first and 10 gal for each additional? I remember that being the size for goldfish, but goldfish are all different sizes! So do these guys fall into that range? I know they tend to be smaller goldies, but still. I'm thinking I'll likely want to go for a 40 to 50 gal at least, is this accurate?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
    • View Profile
Re: Goldfish help please!
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 08:50:36 AM »
We keep pond goldfish but nothing for indoors

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline nemubones

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • With every mistake We must surely be learning -GH
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 09:37:06 AM »
40-50 seems like a nice start for these little guys, with goldfish you tend to go with the 20 + gallon tanks so your fish can live a happy life. It also depends on what type your getting because like you said their are different types with size ranges. The general rule of thumb with goldfish is as you suspected to have 20+ gallons for the first and ten for every additional. It never hurts to go higher on the gallon part since your fish will thank you for the vast space to grow in. Just remember with Telescopes to just stick with other Telescope goldfish because of their poor vision and slow swim speed. Their handicap makes it hard for them to compete for food with other goldfish. You should also be wary about sharp aquarium decor with these little guys since them can damage their protruding eyes on them.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 10:25:25 AM by nemubones »

Offline tikibirds

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 06:01:07 AM »

Minimum Tank Size: 10 gal (38 L) - Ten gallons is the absolute minimum required to house this fish. It has high oxygen requirements, and produces a lot of waste. It will have very stunted growth if it is kept in a smaller aquarium.
    Suitable for Nano Tank: Sometimes - A Nano tank is fine as long as it is 10 gallons or more.
    Substrate Type: Any - A medium-sized gravel works best.
    Lighting Needs: Moderate - normal lighting
    Temperature: 65.0 to 72.0° F (18.3 to 22.2° C)
    Breeding Temperature: - In the wild, goldfish spawn in the spring when water temperatures reach about 68° F (20° C).
    Range ph: 6.0-8.0
    Hardness Range: 5 - 19 dGH
    Brackish: Sometimes - The salinity for C. auratus must be kept below 10%, a specific gravity of less than 1.002.
    Water Movement: Moderate
    Water Region: All - These fish will swim in all areas of the aquarium.

Personally I like bettas and plecos/bottom dwellers but I had also had a goldfish (that I won at the county fair..of course they were giving out comets and not fancy goldfish  >_<
Anyways, I think for the smaller goldies like the black moore and the telescope, the minimum I would do is 20 gallons for one but they are supposedly sociable creatures and if you want 2 or more then I would look for a 40-55 gallon tank. The reason I dont like goldies is that they produce a lot of waster and require bigger water changes them my precious bettas. Plus they needs fairly large size tanks and a 55 gallon tank would weight quite a bit.

Follow me in Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/midnight_fox_fire/

Offline nemubones

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • With every mistake We must surely be learning -GH
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 10:29:14 AM »

Minimum Tank Size: 10 gal (38 L) - Ten gallons is the absolute minimum required to house this fish. It has high oxygen requirements, and produces a lot of waste. It will have very stunted growth if it is kept in a smaller aquarium.
    Suitable for Nano Tank: Sometimes - A Nano tank is fine as long as it is 10 gallons or more.
    Substrate Type: Any - A medium-sized gravel works best.
    Lighting Needs: Moderate - normal lighting
    Temperature: 65.0 to 72.0° F (18.3 to 22.2° C)
    Breeding Temperature: - In the wild, goldfish spawn in the spring when water temperatures reach about 68° F (20° C).
    Range ph: 6.0-8.0
    Hardness Range: 5 - 19 dGH
    Brackish: Sometimes - The salinity for C. auratus must be kept below 10%, a specific gravity of less than 1.002.
    Water Movement: Moderate
    Water Region: All - These fish will swim in all areas of the aquarium.

Personally I like bettas and plecos/bottom dwellers but I had also had a goldfish (that I won at the county fair..of course they were giving out comets and not fancy goldfish  >_<
Anyways, I think for the smaller goldies like the black moore and the telescope, the minimum I would do is 20 gallons for one but they are supposedly sociable creatures and if you want 2 or more then I would look for a 40-55 gallon tank. The reason I dont like goldies is that they produce a lot of waster and require bigger water changes them my precious bettas. Plus they needs fairly large size tanks and a 55 gallon tank would weight quite a bit.
I love bettas! What kind of bettas do you have, Tiki? I used to have crowntails years ago and I recently got a Half Moon.

Offline kaoskat

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2016, 02:21:37 PM »
Thanks guys!

LOL tiki, the betta slot is always constantly filled here. They are my favorites, but I love goldies, too. I haven't had them because of the required tank size, but I am aware they are messy. I don't mind.

Current fishy resident, Canción:

kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Kanchii

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2016, 02:28:39 PM »
I worked in an awesome fish store for five years and learned a ton.

First question, by periscope eyes, do you mean celestial eyes, the ones where they always look straight up and can't see where they're going? (very sad life, I'd recommend a different type of fan tailed goldfish, but thats just me)

As for size of tank, you can keep two even full grown fan tail goldfish in a 30 gallon, but the bigger the better! Nice thing about goldfish is they don't need a heater, unless it gets cold in your house, but they do appreciate the warmer water of one and will grow faster. They do however need great filtration as goldfish are really really filthy and are poop masters, lol. Another thing most people don't know about fan tailed goldfish, is they should ONLY be fed SINKING goldfish PELLETS. The reason so many people lose their goldfish to that strange sideways float that they are prone to, is bc fan tailed goldfish's round bodies cannot pass some of the air that they suck up when they constantly eat off the surface of the water. Thus, it's best to teach them to eat from the floor, and to supplement with fresh aquatic plants, which they love. Most people also over feed them which leads to death. They should get just a few pellets each day, and then all the goldfish grass they can eat in their tank.

Offline kaoskat

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2016, 02:34:00 PM »
First question, by periscope eyes, do you mean celestial eyes, the ones where they always look straight up and can't see where they're going? (very sad life, I'd recommend a different type of fan tailed goldfish, but thats just me)

No, I mean telescope eyes. The black variety of telescope eyes are called "black moors", if that helps. Not celestial eyes. Those are different.

Offline Aliyahbetd

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2016, 02:44:52 PM »
Yay, goldfish are great! I think a 40 breeder or 55 would work nicely for a few fancies  :)

Before I moved I kept mine in a 80 gallon stock tank as an indoor "pond". It was cheap but I never got around to turning it into a proper pond area so it wasn't very attractive.

One thing to keep in mind is fish tanks are around 10 pounds per gallon, so make sure it's in a sturdy spot and on a stand that can take the weight! even my 10g nano tank was able to break a table lol.
Wishlist:
My Kingdom for Cranberry Muffins! :lovey:...
http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,379105.0.html

Kanchii

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2016, 02:45:17 PM »

No, I mean telescope eyes. The black variety of telescope eyes are called "black moors", if that helps. Not celestial eyes. Those are different.

Oh phew. I guess they are called something different over here. Black Moors are great! So cute

Offline kaoskat

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2016, 02:52:03 PM »
I'm planning to buy one with a stand. I'm not risking putting a tank that size on anything I don't know can take its weight. We went to look at some tanks yesterday and found a 55 and a 75, both with stands, that I loved, but I'm not sure that I can make space for either of them right now. My goldfish plans may have to wait a little while longer, but at least now I know the space I'll need to have available before trying. I do actually know a lot about goldfish and their care, I am prepared, but I am dreadful with numbers so those are the first things I forget and I wanted to be certain of tank size with this specific species.

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Barnacle is my first mate!
    • View Profile
    • Video Games as Literature
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2016, 12:12:22 PM »
I used to work in the fish section of a pet store and I knew EVERYTHING about fish -- all the species, breeds, etc. (this was an exotic store and we had a lot of rare animals like octopi, too). That was years ago, though, and I've forgotten a lot of my fish knowledge as I don't keep fish as pets, myself. It looks like most of the suggestions I would have given have already been mentioned by others on here. Obviously the biggest issue with goldfish is their waste production, so a good filter is your best friend. As for tank size, I think the 55 gallon tank would be a good choice for a few fancy goldfish. I hope you're able to find a spot to place the tank so you can get your new goldfish babies! :)

Offline tikibirds

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2016, 08:29:18 AM »
Before I ran off to China, I had several fishtanks with bettas. I had a 10 gallon that I divided in half so it could house two males. I also had a five gallon that had one male and a 20 gallon. All but one passed away before I left. According to my mother, he is still alive but I am afraid of the tank condition. Its a red veiltail.
My favorite was a male that I named Sluggles. He was in walmart in Fairbanks, Alaska and in really bad shape. I didnt think he could be saved but my boyfriend insisted I buy him.

after about 2 weeks

visitors can't see pics , please
register or login

I just bough a fishtank for here and someone decided to give me comet goldfish for it  >_<
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 12:59:22 AM by tikibirds »

Follow me in Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/midnight_fox_fire/

Offline kaoskat

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2016, 04:24:06 PM »
And I'm guessing your new tank is not 30 gallons..... Some people never seem to understand pets are not good gifts unless the person is prepared to take them and wants them (ie: is an adult and requests said pet).

Offline Mirnyj

• Siamese PurrPony
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • A house is not a home without a siamese cat
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in finnish)
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2016, 10:21:48 AM »
A Finnish aquarium "guru" who has been writing aquarium books since the 80's actually recommends 430 liters for a small school (and they are schooling fish so you should definitely have more than two) of goldfish. And I don't think he is that wrong, I have a 200 liter (1 meter long) tank and I could not imagine putting fish that can grow to be a foot long in there.

instagram ~ facebook ~ online store

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal