collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: strange boxed pony on ebay, do you know it?  (Read 2732 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: strange boxed pony on ebay, do you know it?
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2016, 05:50:35 PM »
Hrm. I did not know about that place O.o. Makes it highly likely it was bought from there direct, though, since the seller is also located in London.

The logo on the box really does give it away though. THe thing is that by changing the length of the auction to 1 day, it makes it harder for bidders to retract bids or for people to get involved in reporting it. That element of it still bothers me, because it could be an innocent mistake otherwise, but why do you do that if that's what it is?

I showed the auction to a non-pony friend of mine and he didn't realise anything was up with it, although he's seen collection stuff of mine and so I could believe a non-collector picking it up and not realising - but shortening the auction rather than taking more photos of the back makes me wary.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 06:00:01 PM by Taffeta »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline ponyqueen

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "My, Earth really is full of things." -King of All
    • View Profile
    • Etsy
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2016, 06:05:28 PM »
4 bids already, hope the correct info gets posted on the listing!

Post Merge: April 04, 2016, 06:11:50 PM

Here's a similar picture from that monkey website, for reference...

« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 06:11:50 PM by ponyqueen »

:heart: Did I forget to leave feedback? Please pm me! :heart:

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2016, 06:14:03 PM »

You beat me to it, I was about to post a Cotton Candy image xD. And given their retail pricing is £22 (around $30) for the collector CF ponies, and given the bid on the auction at the moment, they're almost the same, so right now it doesn't look like any profit is being made. (And both stupidly overpriced given the ponies concerned!)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 06:18:24 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2016, 06:27:08 PM »

They should know better, where's the plastic around the hair?  :wonder: Cute idea though.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 06:30:13 PM by mlp4me »

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2016, 06:51:52 PM »

You beat me to it, I was about to post a Cotton Candy image xD. And given their retail pricing is £22 (around $30) for the collector CF ponies, and given the bid on the auction at the moment, they're almost the same, so right now it doesn't look like any profit is being made. (And both stupidly overpriced given the ponies concerned!)

With common pieces, These places tend to cater less to collectors, and more toward normal people who impulse buy something for nostalga's sake. I overprice my super commons in some venues. too "low" and I get cleaned out and a lot of unhappy people who miss out. It's for nostalgia buyers. these are people who don't want to buy off ebay, be a MLP collector. or pick the same grubby pony for $3 at another table that isn't washed and groomed. they want to replace a childhood piece for memories sake. they want it clean and dressed up and happily pay $20-$30 for that. :)

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2016, 07:04:19 PM »

They probably overpaid and once they realized they did they are trying to sell it on without losing any money.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2016, 07:32:26 PM »
The boxes are cute, though.
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline princessluna11706

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2016, 08:44:20 PM »
With common pieces, These places tend to cater less to collectors, and more toward normal people who impulse buy something for nostalga's sake. I overprice my super commons in some venues. too "low" and I get cleaned out and a lot of unhappy people who miss out. It's for nostalgia buyers. these are people who don't want to buy off ebay, be a MLP collector. or pick the same grubby pony for $3 at another table that isn't washed and groomed. they want to replace a childhood piece for memories sake. they want it clean and dressed up and happily pay $20-$30 for that. :)
I completely agree with this.  Even so, I still find the seller's actions very shady :/

The original Princess Luna.

I'm on Instagram! http://instagram.com/kitarei1 :)

mskittylovesrobin

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2016, 09:06:26 PM »
Ahhhh good info! Atleast now we know it isn't an original box. The seller knows this or maybe that's how they got it. They should have just said rather than "rush" the auction when I asked lol. Still no response and with a few hours left I guess they won't. But atleast we know now it's a protective box and who monkeys are who obviously love motu lmao! X
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 10:16:08 PM by mskittylovesrobin »

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2016, 11:08:05 PM »
I completely agree with this.  Even so, I still find the seller's actions very shady :/

The ebay seller is SHADY! they are eluding it to being an original package, and as Taffeta said, there is a lot of lore over UK line as it is. I could easily see a new collector bidding high thinking they're getting something hasbro special. :(  I shared this thread, the listing (once I had permission) so new people in the pony FB group are warned and there are also collectors reporting it to ebay there.

I don't think the toy store they got the pony from is shady. they just priced for their venue, customer base and market. some of these places the commons are too much for collectors to justify, but rarer pieces are often decent deals. :D I wish I could visit this toy shop- these shops are fun to visit period.

mskittylovesrobin

« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2016, 11:09:56 PM »

The ebay seller is SHADY! they are eluding it to being an original package, and as Taffeta said, there is a lot of lore over UK line as it is. I could easily see a new collector bidding high thinking they're getting something hasbro special. :(  I shared this thread, the listing (once I had permission) so new people in the pony FB group are warned and there are also collectors reporting it to ebay there.

I don't think the toy store they got the pony from is shady. they just priced for their venue, customer base and market. some of these places the commons are too much for collectors to justify, but rarer pieces are often decent deals. :D I wish I could visit this toy shop- these shops are fun to visit period.

Oh yea the shop looks cool lol and to be fair they do state that they custom packages as gifts. So yes I agree! I am not against the shop. But I find their logo amusing and to be honest i hadn't spotted their logo we wouldn't have known it was custom made X
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 11:11:29 PM by mskittylovesrobin »

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2016, 07:25:37 AM »
The use of the "old" G1 logo and the "newer" G1 logo is a dead giveaway that it isn't the original packaging.  Hope the bidders realize that's not really the original box.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2016, 09:37:11 AM »
I emailed the store and asked them if they had any G1 ponies MIP, bearing in mind the boxed ones on the site. The person who replied was friendly, said no, but gave me a link for somewhere else I might try (which was nice of them).

It doesn't sound like the site is selling these as MIP original items, which means it's down to the ebay seller.

My only concern is the ebay ID here. I won't post it here, but the ebay ID and the name of the person who emailed me from the store are quite similar. That could be a total coincidence, though. Especially since I think this store does trade on ebay under the store name, I'm almost sure I've seen it or maybe bought from it before sometime. So more than likely that is just a coincidence.

I am tempted to visit their market stall if it's still there in Camden Market, tbh, though the store in Watford is a bit further out.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 09:39:59 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

mskittylovesrobin

« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2016, 09:40:22 AM »
I emailed the store and asked them if they had any G1 ponies MIP, bearing in mind the boxed ones on the site. The person who replied was friendly, said no, but gave me a link for somewhere else I might try (which was nice of them).

It doesn't sound like the site is selling these as MIP original items, which means it's down to the ebay seller.

My only concern is the ebay ID here. I won't post it here, but the ebay ID and the name of the person who emailed me from the store are quite similar. That could be a total coincidence, though.

Yes you're right! I just just this minute got an email reply from the store saying they can custom make boxes for toys and gave me an FB page to find MOC and MIB items. The name of the person itself is same as the seller. But as you say it's hard to say as may be coincidental because if they're open about making the boxes when I made the enquiry. Will keep my eyes open to see if any more like this gets posted by this seller ;)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 09:44:24 AM by mskittylovesrobin »

Offline Mermaid

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2016, 11:27:50 AM »
The boxes are cute, though.

They are adorable!
Thanks to calico star for my avatar!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal