collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: strange boxed pony on ebay, do you know it?  (Read 2729 times)

Offline tootie_tails

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
strange boxed pony on ebay, do you know it?
« on: April 04, 2016, 10:30:16 AM »
There is a listing for a strange box with a G1 collector pose pony. Seller claims it's "still in package". I don't recognize it at all and the box looks kind of home made... Or I guess it might be some obscure edition I don't know of? The pony looks normal though.
Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
I know we can not post live auction links but is it ok to post a picture?
The box actually displays the pony very nicely so I'm tempted to bid. But if it's just a custom made box I think I'd rather try and make one myself.

[moving to the corral :) love pkw xxx]
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 12:33:42 PM by pinkkittywinks »
-

mskittylovesrobin

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: strange boxed pony on ebay, do you know it?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 10:49:57 AM »
I think I know the one you mean. U.K. Seller right? If it's the one... It was listed for 3 or more days to begin with this morning so I message and asked for pictures of the back and bottom of the box and the seller immediately changed the auction to end in 24 hours and did not reply me lol. X

Offline shelvesofwhimsy

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Shelvesofwhimsy
    • View Profile
    • Toy Collector & Miniature Maker
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 11:01:07 AM »
Pretty sure they made that box. Its pretty fishy haha

mskittylovesrobin

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 11:02:55 AM »
Pretty sure they made that box. Its pretty fishy haha

If you look closely there is a brand on the right that says "monkeys" or something with the Masters of the Universe fonts?  :blink:

Offline tootie_tails

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 11:53:09 AM »
I think I know the one you mean. U.K. Seller right? If it's the one... It was listed for 3 or more days to begin with this morning so I message and asked for pictures of the back and bottom of the box and the seller immediately changed the auction to end in 24 hours and did not reply me lol. X

Yes that's the one. It does seem fishy. I noticed it had a really short running time. I didn't notice the "monkey" brand until you said it. :blink:
I hope the seller is doing this in good faith. But not replying to you and instead making the run time shorter.. it doesn't look good.
-

mskittylovesrobin

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2016, 11:55:31 AM »

Yes that's the one. It does seem fishy. I noticed it had a really short running time. I didn't notice the "monkey" brand until you said it. :blink:
I hope the seller is doing this in good faith. But not replying to you and instead making the run time shorter.. it doesn't look good.

Yes to be honest I would not have judged the seller if it was a fakie being a collector of fakies lol but it was so funny when it was shortened to a day shortly after I messaged. Will let you know if they do reply me :)

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2016, 12:34:24 PM »
I believe the box is home made as well.

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2016, 01:03:59 PM »
The rainbow on the front of the box is anachronistic. If you look at the Y in pony, it doesn't have the curl tail. I'm pretty sure that dates from the 1990s
http://mylittlewiki.org/wiki/File:Mib-starflash.jpg
Whereas all early cards have the curl y which is on the back card.

I am not totally certain about the rainbow on the back as different ponies have often slightly different shades of rainbow depending on year, and I haven't got my cards to hand - but the one on the bottom is definitely too late for Butterscotch, who was sold with the Gymkhana here anyway.

Whether this seller picked her up like that or made it themselves I dunno, but it's definitely not authentic. That style of package exists here only in G3 and 4 anyway, and the name Butterscotch looks like it's computer printed font, as opposed to the blue font used on early cards from that time period...

Unfortunately, being that people still seem to believe anything odd must be a UK variant, people are bidding on it seriously....
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

mskittylovesrobin

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2016, 01:06:01 PM »
The rainbow on the front of the box is anachronistic. If you look at the Y in pony, it doesn't have the curl tail. I'm pretty sure that dates from the 1990s, whereas all early cards have the curl y which is on the back card, such as:
http://mylittlewiki.org/wiki/File:Mib-starflash.jpg

I am not totally certain about the rainbow on the back as different ponies have often slightly different shades of rainbow depending on year, and I haven't got my cards to hand - but the one on the bottom is definitely too late for Butterscotch, who was sold with the Gymkhana here anyway.

Whether this seller picked her up like that or made it themselves I dunno, but it's definitely not authentic. That style of package exists here only in G3 and 4 anyway, and the name Butterscotch looks like it's computer printed font, as opposed to the blue font used on early cards from that time period...

Yeah sounds about right.. Especially with MOTU fonted Monkeys branding  :lol:

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2016, 01:19:18 PM »
Maybe just report it to Ebay? I realise ebay is buyer beware but if someone is bidding seriously and doesn't realise, then it's not really a good thing. It's more likely to be an inexperienced bidder/s that get taken in by not realising these things.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

mskittylovesrobin

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2016, 01:23:14 PM »
Maybe just report it to Ebay? I realise ebay is buyer beware but if someone is bidding seriously and doesn't realise, then it's not really a good thing. It's more likely to be an inexperienced bidder/s that get taken in by not realising these things.

Yeah I know what you mean. It just didn't seem good when the seller shortened the auction time after I asked for more pix and then chose not to reply me. If we did do the report thing would Ebay actually do something? I d never done that before X

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2016, 01:26:12 PM »
Honestly, no idea. I haven't had to either.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

mskittylovesrobin

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2016, 01:28:27 PM »
Honestly, no idea. I haven't had to either.

I just tried to on the report item but there doesn't seem to be an option for pirated goods. I will try and see. Will let you know X

Update- I filed the report saying seller didn't reply when I asked for pix and reduced auction time and I also stated the brand on box is fake. Hope it helps the buyers anyway like you said xx
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 01:32:17 PM by mskittylovesrobin »

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2016, 05:42:00 PM »
https://www.facebook.com/monkeysemporium/

Found the shop! they likely made the box to protect the loose figures from dust, or damage from handling. plus it's cute. Zoom in on the logo you can clearly see "Monkey's" with "emporium" under it.

Offline rosierjay

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+152)
  • MOC Mimic
  • you can call me Rosier
    • View Profile
    • Customs and stuff i'm selling
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2016, 05:50:00 PM »
wow i feel bad about who ever does bid on that and thinks it's legit. hope it doesn't go too much higher.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal