collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Gardening  (Read 3812 times)

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
Re: Gardening
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2016, 04:42:37 PM »
400 square feet....  too MUCH gardening!!!!

Our growing season is May-September though.... so I just finished raking the winter grass and leaves, flipping the four compost bins, doing a dump run, burning the Christmas tree, etc. 

Probably by next week we will be germinating seeds in trays with lights and plastic covers, but nothing can get planted until late April because we still get temperatures below zero right up until then... 
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline lordalexander74

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2016, 04:54:04 PM »
My dad's been farming since day 1. We have a strawberry patch, a couple rows of raspberries, some rhubarb, a handful of fruit trees (Pears are in bloom, but I'm betting everything's gonna get eaten by the annual Japanese Beetle swarms) and blueberries. Just planted some onions, cabbage,  broccoli, lettuce, peas, beets and carrots. Gonna plant some squash and cucumbers eventually. I live on the cumberland plateau in TN, cucumbers grow like the plague here.

Anyone get their seeds from this company?
http://www.rareseeds.com/store/

Got some really good stuff, my favorite vegetable I got from them are Mexican Sour Gherkins. They're tiny grape-sized cucumbers with a hint of lemon to their flavor.

Also got a handful of baby chickens, for fresh eggs later on. Those little orange fuzzballs are so cute.

Spoiler
Thanks to Lunacat for the lovely art

Offline Tak

• Lost in the clouds Unicorn
  • No Transactions
  • Trade Count: (+72)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2016, 05:48:21 PM »
My mom raises meat chickens as well as keeping layers. She's raising some turkeys this year, too. It is utterly astonishing how much better her chickens taste than anything at the stores. We trade. :) also, thanks to my dog, no trouble with birds getting my sprouts this year. He doesn't let them near the yard.

Offline archidraca

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Boy ponies, gotta catchem all! ^w^
    • View Profile
    • Ponies A'More - ponies, love, & more!
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2016, 08:36:48 PM »
I've put in a new planter and have started some of my newest veggies from seeds started indoors. I got a grow lamp and a timer and have had sensational results.  :biggrin: 

Spoiler
Had to get some starts from the store as well.  ^^;

I'm also going to try and grow a fruiting peach tree. I hope the weather turns warmer soon so I don't have to worry about my figs dying back again...  :(
Creatively cute and proud of it!  Have a very good day, [you]!  ^.^

I'm making custom cute pony plushies and have set up an Etsy store called Ponies A'More! Ponies + More + LOVE! :heart: :inlove: :heart:
Finally got my SALES thread up and update it as I can.  :satisfied:
Lastly, posting my Wishlist here!  :biggrin:

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2016, 08:02:30 AM »
My parents (who I live with) will start a garden this summer. They mainly plant tomatoes, green peppers, and cucumbers maybe.

They thought about radishes too. They are so delicious in salad.

I love nothing more than homegrown tomatoes on a turkey sandwich. So good. Oh dang, now I'm hungry. XD
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

Offline Aflame

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2016, 01:08:42 AM »
just planted some fuscher plants and sweet pea seeds hopefully they will come up soon !

Offline Ribbs

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • My music
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2016, 09:21:57 AM »
My house has a huge garden, where we're growing and selling a multitude of veggies and herbs. Right now I've got radishes coming out of my ears! Once my strawberries ripen I'll have more than I'll know what to do with.

Offline Tak

• No Transactions
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2016, 05:34:09 PM »
All the green beans, peapods, beets, lettuce, carrots, cucumber, and zucchini are doing amazing! Mid eighties is rather odd this time of year.

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Barnacle is my first mate!
    • View Profile
    • Video Games as Literature
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2016, 07:36:35 PM »
Well, looks like I probably won't be planting any veggies this spring, since while I was in the hospital my mom surprised me and planted flowers in all of my planters! It was very surprising but not unpleasant. :)

Offline Thunderwing

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+171)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/springwater_valley/home.html
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2016, 07:45:54 PM »
We got our vegetable garden started this weekend. I've no idea how many pounds, but loads of fresh rabbit and guinea pig poop went into it (a winter's worth of six large rabbits, plus 23 guinea pigs). :P  Dug that all in by hand. Then put up a trellis support for the peas, planted two rows of peas (one sweet green, one sugar snap). Then fenced the entire garden with chicken wire to keep the chickens out. They eat my vegetables. Then I started 100 each of two varieties of tomatoes (a couple of each for me, the rest to sell at the roadside). Those have had a few nice days of sun to get started... and now we're expecting frost again. At least the snow for Monday got cancelled. :P 

Also dug up and split one of my rhubarb, potted them all up to sell at the roadside too. Rabbit poop makes rhubarb grow like ... insane. In three years, it outgrew the spot I put it in. It went from a tiny little one leaf clump to about two feet across (at the crown, leaves not included).

My mom raises meat chickens as well as keeping layers.

We're raising our first batch of meat chickens this year too!  They just turned a week old. Bit of a learning curve to them, they are so different from layer and decorative chicks. I'm also hatching our some replacement layers for our current birds, and some mille fleur banties to sell as pets.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 07:49:50 PM by Thunderwing »

Offline ponyqueen

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "My, Earth really is full of things." -King of All
    • View Profile
    • Etsy
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2016, 05:20:17 AM »
A few lettuce seeds sown, and lots of tulips coming up! Our magnolia is blooming for the first time since we planted it 6 or 7 years ago!

In a week I'll be revving up my flower sales. Flowers = pony money!

:heart: Did I forget to leave feedback? Please pm me! :heart:

Offline Tak

• No Transactions
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2016, 07:59:39 AM »
My baby lilac is blooming for the first time. The smell is intoxicating. My clematis has some 30 buds ready to bloom, too. I'd love to see pictures if anyone is willing to post some.

Offline ponyqueen

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "My, Earth really is full of things." -King of All
    • View Profile
    • Etsy
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2016, 08:20:26 AM »
THIS THREAD NEEDS PICTURES! (really what thread doesn't??) ::runs out to take fresh flower pics::

Post Merge: April 21, 2016, 08:42:09 AM

« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 08:42:09 AM by ponyqueen »

:heart: Did I forget to leave feedback? Please pm me! :heart:

Princess Lala

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2016, 01:24:42 PM »
Well, I got my Japanese maple! Husband got it for me as a pressie for Earth Day, which we thought was today xD :heart: We planted it in a giant pot because yeah apartment. It looks beautiful on our back porch!

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Barnacle is my first mate!
    • View Profile
    • Video Games as Literature
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2016, 01:43:16 PM »
I live in an apartment so I usually plant some veggies really close together in large pots out on my patio. This year my mom took over my garden and planted all flowers! Which is fine with me -- I don't usually get many veggies I can eat out of what I plant, anyway. Here are some pictures of some of my new flowers:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal