collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Pokemon for Newbies?  (Read 4352 times)

Offline CoonhoundBetty

• Skeen's Minion
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • SAHM/Wife of an artist/word nerd
    • View Profile
Pokemon for Newbies?
« on: March 23, 2016, 01:06:40 PM »
My 6yo DD has recently (like, the last 6 months) taken a HUGE interest in Pokemon. Ponies, yes, easy interest to share with my daughter, but Pokemon is a completely different ballgame! I want to be able to share this interest with her (and know what the heck she's talking about!)--any sites or anything you can suggest for me to learn? I did buy her some Pokemon cards and a Poke Ball with Pikachu for her Easter basket. Help a mama out!

Her and her dad (who is in the same boat as I am re: Pokemon) have "Pokemon battles" with her stuffed animals before bed, and it's hilarious to listen to. She has a stuffed bunny called Twinkle Toes that we call Twinkle Toots (haha). DH was 'battling' with her, and yelled, "Twinkle Toots, Poison Toot Attack!" I started cracking up so hard.

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Barnacle is my first mate!
    • View Profile
    • Video Games as Literature
Re: Pokemon for Newbies?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 01:41:17 PM »
If she doesn't have a DS to play the Pokemon games (which are primarily where the Pokemon action is), she might be interested in playing the browser game VDex Project (click on the Pokemon in my signature to get to the website) -- it's a simulation of the game, and is kid-friendly, as far as I can tell. Also, the original TV show and the latest TV show are on Netflix, if you want to watch it for "research" purposes. :) Just search Netflix for "Pokemon".

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 02:03:10 PM »
The official website is pokemon.com.  The "pokedex" is the list of all the pokemon, if you'd like to familiarize yourself with the characters.  There are currently somewhere around 720 different pokemon. 

Watching the cartoon might be a good place to start.  There are several "generations" of the game/cartoon.  The Indigo League cartoons are the first generation and I think some of those are still on Netflix, so that might be a good place to start.  Then I think the cartoon order was Orange League, Johto, Pokemon Advance, Diamond and Pearl, Black and White and finally XY.  Pokemon XY is the most recent generation of games/cartoons.

There are also books and graphic novels available, check your library for them.

Personally, I prefer the video games to the card game but to each their own.  You can probably search YouTube for video of both card play and parts of the video game.  If you're going to get a game to play, I suggest either X or Y.  I started playing back in generation 2 with Pokemon Crystal and I only recently purchased Pokemon Y and I think it's my favorite so far. You do not need to play the previous generations to understand/appreciate/enjoy the newest one.

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 02:07:21 PM »
Hmm well.. I can't think of any specific sites other than maybe wikipedia for general knowledge. There's lots of pokemon sites but they're mainly filled with technical info for those who already have experience with the series.

What is it that you want to learn? Do you just want to know what's going on in general? Things that your daughter might enjoy pokemon related that would be good for her age? Things you could enjoy together?

If you have Netflix some of the TV series and a movie or two are available. I'd recommend watching the indigo series with her as that's the very first and kinda helps explain more. Pokemon is biggest in video games, then the tv series and films, and the collectible trading card game as well as collectibles in general.

Asking questions here would also be good because a lot of us know about pokemon! I'd also be happy to give you a personal crash course because I've grown up with the series and I know a lot!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Avatar was drawn by tumblr user Yomirs, sig by LordBlumiere and Sweetpop!  :heart:

Offline CoonhoundBetty

• Skeen's Minion
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2016, 02:15:56 PM »
If she doesn't have a DS to play the Pokemon games (which are primarily where the Pokemon action is), she might be interested in playing the browser game VDex Project (click on the Pokemon in my signature to get to the website) -- it's a simulation of the game, and is kid-friendly, as far as I can tell. Also, the original TV show and the latest TV show are on Netflix, if you want to watch it for "research" purposes. :) Just search Netflix for "Pokemon".

I think the one she's watching on Netflix right now is XY? It's helping me with pronunciation ;) I will definitely check out that game for her, thank you!!

Post Merge: March 23, 2016, 02:17:50 PM

The official website is pokemon.com.  The "pokedex" is the list of all the pokemon, if you'd like to familiarize yourself with the characters.  There are currently somewhere around 720 different pokemon. 

Watching the cartoon might be a good place to start.  There are several "generations" of the game/cartoon.  The Indigo League cartoons are the first generation and I think some of those are still on Netflix, so that might be a good place to start.  Then I think the cartoon order was Orange League, Johto, Pokemon Advance, Diamond and Pearl, Black and White and finally XY.  Pokemon XY is the most recent generation of games/cartoons.

There are also books and graphic novels available, check your library for them.

Personally, I prefer the video games to the card game but to each their own.  You can probably search YouTube for video of both card play and parts of the video game.  If you're going to get a game to play, I suggest either X or Y.  I started playing back in generation 2 with Pokemon Crystal and I only recently purchased Pokemon Y and I think it's my favorite so far. You do not need to play the previous generations to understand/appreciate/enjoy the newest one.

Holy cannoli, that's a LOT of Pokemon  :shocked: We did get her an 'adventure guide' book, which is helping Mom and Dad learn about the different regions. The Library!! Why didn't I think of the library? Thank you!

Post Merge: March 23, 2016, 02:23:41 PM

Hmm well.. I can't think of any specific sites other than maybe wikipedia for general knowledge. There's lots of pokemon sites but they're mainly filled with technical info for those who already have experience with the series.

What is it that you want to learn? Do you just want to know what's going on in general? Things that your daughter might enjoy pokemon related that would be good for her age? Things you could enjoy together?

That's a good question...All of it, really. She's young, so I don't want to go all crazy and buy hundreds of dollars worth of cards, or DS games...I'm definitely going to check out the game ringwraith10 mentioned since she's good on the computer. Ponies have been easy since she was 2 or so, but I don't know what to do with her with Pokemon. I guess SHE can teach me, right? ;)

Oh! How do I pronounce Hoenn? Is it HO-inn?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 02:23:41 PM by CoonhoundBetty »

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2016, 02:36:14 PM »

Holy cannoli, that's a LOT of Pokemon  :shocked: We did get her an 'adventure guide' book, which is helping Mom and Dad learn about the different regions. The Library!! Why didn't I think of the library? Thank you!

Yes, it's a lot and they're coming out with Pokemon Sun and Pokemon Moon sometime around Thanksgiving/Christmas, which will add even more (on average around 100 with each new generation).  And I always suggest the library because I work in one. :biggrin:  We even have the cartoon on DVD, so you might check with your library to see if they have them, or if you can do an "Interlibrary Loan" to get them, which is where they borrow them from another library somewhere in the world for you.  Not all libraries offer it and some charge a fee for it (usually to cover shipping costs) but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2016, 02:36:57 PM »
Here's a really good book for you to check out. If your library doesn't have it, they might be able to Interlibrary Loan it for you. :D And yes, Hoenn is pronounced Ho-inn. :)

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2016, 02:45:44 PM »

That's a good question...All of it, really. She's young, so I don't want to go all crazy and buy hundreds of dollars worth of cards, or DS games...I'm definitely going to check out the game ringwraith10 mentioned since she's good on the computer. Ponies have been easy since she was 2 or so, but I don't know what to do with her with Pokemon. I guess SHE can teach me, right? ;)

Oh! How do I pronounce Hoenn? Is it HO-inn?

That's how I pronounce it! That's also my favorite region  ;)
I don't know what kind of systems you have, but if there's any chance you have an N64 I think the pokemon stadium games are amazing. It gives you the opportunity to have 3D pokemon battle (but you're limited to the first two generations) among other things. You can probably get older games like Diamond, Pearl, or Platinum for a little cheaper, those are the 4th gen.  There's just over 720 pokemon currently and with the new games releasing later this year there will be more!

If you have a half-price or rental store around maybe try to find whatever Netflix doesn't have. I can't say what Hulu might have because I don't use it but if you do maybe look there as well. That would also be good place to find cheaper games. Pokemon is only on Nintendo systems but there's games for almost every console since the gameboy.

There are mobile games like pokemon shuffle (simple puzzle game) or the virtual reality Pokemon GO! releasing later this year that I know would be a lot of fun for her to play. I can't wait for it myself  :P

Hopefully you can find stuff at the library! I still have some of my pokemon guidebooks from when I was younger and lots of mangas still now. I'd say the guidebooks would be the best way to learn about the pokemon themselves.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 02:47:23 PM by Bekuno »
Avatar was drawn by tumblr user Yomirs, sig by LordBlumiere and Sweetpop!  :heart:

Offline sailorstitch

• Trade Count: (+94)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Instagram @sailorstitch
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2016, 03:17:15 PM »
I'm wonder trading as I type this!  :lol:

I agree that it would be best to start her out with the cartoon and movies. She's a bit young for the TCG. That requires a lot of reading and comprehension of what each card does. And there are thousands of cards!

Besides the main RPG video games, there's also dozens of side games. There's pinball, puzzle games, mystery dungeon, Poke Park, and even an art academy. If you have a N64, Hey You Pikachu was designed for the younger fans.

sailorstitch

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2016, 04:26:20 PM »

I agree that it would be best to start her out with the cartoon and movies. She's a bit young for the TCG. That requires a lot of reading and comprehension of what each card does. And there are thousands of cards!

Besides the main RPG video games, there's also dozens of side games. There's pinball, puzzle games, mystery dungeon, Poke Park, and even an art academy. If you have a N64, Hey You Pikachu was designed for the younger fans.

sailorstitch
Doesn't "Hey, You Pikachu" require a camera or something? Also, I don't think she's necessarily to young for the cards. I would have been able to handle the card game at that age -- it just depends on the kid. Pretty much any kid that's into Pokemon can appreciate the art on the cards and collecting the different Pokemon, though.

Offline CoonhoundBetty

• Skeen's Minion
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2016, 04:28:36 PM »
I think I'm going to return the TCG, she could probably "get" it, but she's having more fun with Pokemon Shuffle on my phone and pretend 'battles' with her stuffed animals. I do have a N64, but the controller is a bit much for her (you should see her try to play the Wii LOL), and I still have my Gameboy Advanced....I think DH's little brothers had Pokemon games, I'll have to bug them to look for me ;)

Is there a good place to get the little vinyl characters? Like, the size that fits in the Pokeball (2"?)? (I'm not opposed to bootleg; I ordered her a Pikachu with Charizard hoodie from overseas a little while ago)

Is there an app for the PokeDex? That would be so cool. Spring Break starts Friday, so I think we will be heading to the library in search of Pokemon literature ;) You guys are so helpful, thank you!

Post Merge: March 23, 2016, 04:30:12 PM

Doesn't "Hey, You Pikachu" require a camera or something? Also, I don't think she's necessarily to young for the cards. I would have been able to handle the card game at that age -- it just depends on the kid. Pretty much any kid that's into Pokemon can appreciate the art on the cards and collecting the different Pokemon, though.
My kid is a collector, it's ridiculous...I think she's part magpie.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 04:30:12 PM by CoonhoundBetty »

Yukiru

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2016, 05:10:12 PM »
What a great time to be a little pokemon trainer!  :lol: With the 20th anniversary, there's a lot of events going on at TRU, Target, Gamestop, etc. where there's shopping deals, free cards, etc. so those might be fun to hit up together. I also think the TCG would be fun when your daughter is a little older. I remember being her age with my little collection of cards and loving them simply because they were cool, all mine, and I had some rares that my brother and cousins wanted which made it them extra special :P

As far as an app goes, there's no official pokedex app as far as I know, but there is a free pokemon app called Camp Pokemon (or something like that) that's aimed at younger trainers. If your daughter sticks with pokemon, I would recommend either getting a second hand DS Lite or a 2DS. The DS Lite is great because it plays both regular DS games and GameBoy Advanced games. A 2DS is great because it's cheaper than a 3DS but you can still get all the apps and games that a 3DS would have, plus the nintendo e-store has a good handful of free pokemon games for download and the original Red, Blue, Yellow for like $10. Also check out and keep an eye out for Pokemon Go, which will be a free to download smartphone game where you can wander around the real world and find, catch, train, and battle Pokemon. If you've ever heard of the smartphone game Ingress, Pokemon Go is going to be made by the same company. :)

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2016, 06:18:40 PM »

sailorstitch

It requires a microphone. A good substitute, if any for a game like that, would be Pokemon Channel for the Gamecube. The N64 games were my gateway to pokemon before any of the regular games and I still play them more than the regular games honestly.

I personally never played the game with the cards as a kid, and when I did I made up my own rules because I didn't get it  :lol: I just enjoyed getting all the cards I could. Hell if I had the money I'd still be buying them now just because I can!

Small vinyls you can probably find in toy stores still?  I don't buy as much merch as I used to but I still have bunches from growing up. They'd be more pricey than ebay bootlegs yes, but that's up to you. Have you checked to see if any arena members have pokemon items for sale? I now I've seen some in the past.

Oh, since you mentioned the wii remot I assume you have a wii. There's two Pokepark Wii games that you may be able to find inexpensively. I don't know much about them, maybe check out a video on youtube to see if she'd like them?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 07:03:59 PM by Bekuno »

Offline Squirrelypaws

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2016, 08:40:07 PM »
I think everyone else has offered pretty good advice as far as educating yourself about Pokemon. :)

As far as the cards go, I agree that the actual GAME might be a little complicated for her age, but she could always make up her own rules. :P Or just collect them. If collecting is more her thing, there's also Topps cards, which are similar to baseball cards and would probably run a lot cheaper than the game cards. You'd likely need to shop online if you wanted to try the Topps cards, though; I don't think they've made them for quite some time.

Game-wise, you said you had a GameBoy Advance? In addition to any of the RPG-type games, she might like Mystery Dungeon; you play as a human who gets transformed into a Pokemon, which is pretty cool. The one for GBA is called either Red Rescue Team or Blue Rescue Team; I can't remember which is for GameBoy and which is for the DS. XD

And if she can get used to the N64 controller, a lot of the games for that are pretty cool. My personal favorite is Pokemon Snap, where you play as a photographer and take pictures of various Pokemon living on an island. The two Pokemon Stadium games are a lot of fun too, though they only include the two earliest generations of Pokemon; if she's got favorites in the newer generations, those Pokemon wouldn't be available to battle with.
**Formerly known as GryffindorHermione**
~*{Squirrely's Stuff For Sale}*~
Ponies ;; Dolls ;; Other Toys

Princess Lala

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2016, 03:08:03 AM »
I agree with Netflix, and Hulu had a few other seasons last time I saw! There's a set of 4 movies at Walmart for $5 right now- they are the older ones! At Walmart there is also a holograph Pokemon book updated with all the Pokemon from Kanto to Kalos in it! I remember as a little girl Pokemon books were my go-to reference. I used to draw pictures of Pokemon using those pictures in the book as guides! If you get her a 3DS in the future, XY are very good games and Sun/Moon comes out later this year! With cards its fun to just collect them! I didn't start playing to TCG in tournaments until I was 17, I just kept buying them because cards are pretty xD LOTS of good games out for Pokemon if you wanted to get her older games on older systems! Also a fun activity you guys can do together is look for the 20th anniversary merch at TRU! Sometime in April they are giving out free cards at TRU for "Pokemon day"! Check it out! :3 Also thrifting for Pokemon toys is still a fun thing to do even after 20 years! My siblings did that all the time when we were together as kids, I'm sure mother-daughter it would be fun too!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 03:11:48 AM by Princess Lala »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal