collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Parents - Useful baby gifts?  (Read 2919 times)

Offline CoonhoundBetty

• Skeen's Minion
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • SAHM/Wife of an artist/word nerd
    • View Profile
Re: Parents - Useful baby gifts?
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2016, 12:59:02 PM »
I got my sister a Boppy pillow when she was having her baby and she said its her most used gift. At first it helped her to breastfeed and even dad can use it to bottle feed. And now she sits baby in it to prop her up or give her tummy time!
YES! A Boppy!

Offline Aadra310

• Trade Count: (+80)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
    • Etsy Shop
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2016, 01:51:16 PM »
As a parent who just had a baby I will echo everyone else... diapers and burp clothes.  Probably the next best thing is a baby care kit that has all the common meds including gripe water (for hiccups), gas meds, baby pain relief, etc.  SUPER handy to already have and not try and go to the store those first few weeks.

Wipes are fairly inexpensive but I would skip them unless specifically requested.  Newborns have super sensitive skin and the preservatives in wipes (even the gentle scent-free ones) can cause diaper rash.  I switched to baby washcloths and diaper rash disappeared!  So, good tip for new parents!

Offline Tak

• Lost in the clouds Unicorn
  • No Transactions
  • Trade Count: (+72)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2016, 02:46:11 PM »
Ooo... and a front carrier or sling. So nice to have them near yet able to use both hands.

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2016, 02:54:27 PM »
I don't have kids but I've always been told diapers  :lol:
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline Tak

• No Transactions
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2016, 03:01:07 PM »
Ok. I have to say it. Cloth diapers are awesome. Especially if the family runs towards allergies. They're a bit more work, but a one time expense.

Also, I agree some sort of diaper is number one.

Offline True

• Eartha Uncorn
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Unicorn of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Truly Customs
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2016, 03:18:09 PM »
My son is 12 now so xD Its been a while since Iv had to think about this sorta thing, but i totally agree with everyone saying Diapers! It might sound like a boring gift but holy cow, is it a life safer! Especially DO NOT buy them in a small size, becuase they grow out of them fast, buy them in any of the bigger sizes, and they will really help out lol.

I also say things like those little onesie tshirt packs. idk about everyone else, but I used to put these on my son under his outfits, that way, when he got bored of being held, we could strip his nice clothes off and he could play in those without fear of ruining a nice outfit!

If you happen to know Momma's prefered baby wash and lotions, maybe pick up some of that for them! I remember really loving one specific brand that was sensitive enough for my sons skin, but it was too expensive for me to buy most of the time!

If they aren't breastfeeding, and you know exactly what sort of formula they are using, that's also a really good one! I physically could not breastfeed so I had to rely on formula, and that stuff gets expensive over time!

Boppys are life changers, even if you're not breastfeeding, but Its also tricky, they are typically so popular that chances are someone else might already get them one, of course they can always return it. just something to think about. :3
I typically don't buy "big/furniture" things like chairs, swings, bouncy seats etc.. as I'm not sure who else might get that for them xD

Id actually be careful about buying bottles, It seems most people have a prefered brand/style of bottle, I got a TON of bottles at my babyshower, that I just never used, and they sat around taking up space.
I also agree with the clothes xD The only time I buy clothes for a baby is when its one of my sisters kids, because Im more in touch with them haha. But I got so many clothes for my son that I forgot about a lot of them and he ended up never wearing them because he outgrew them so fast! The funniest thing I got, My son was born on december 1st, so my grandparents (bless them) got him a santa suit, but it was SO BIG. xD They suggested that he could wear it the next year, but by then it was too small. lol
:heart: My Sales Thread :heart:
Toola Roola Avatar by Pikashoes!

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2016, 04:54:38 PM »
Gift certificates to restaurants who DELIVER!  You just delivered a friggin' baby, someone can BRING you some food!  :)

Diapers!  In some size like 2!  Before you know it, that bottom will not fit in the newborn sizes anymore! 

Baby socks.  You will lose them, they will go missing in laundry, they are so gosh-darn-stinkin-cute.... 
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline kasin

• Trade Count: (+42)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
    • Studio BMFC
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2016, 05:31:38 PM »
receiving blankets, or better the big cotton swaddlers, this is what I get anyone having a baby, they aren't cheap, but make a pretty gift.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002USE0Q0/ref=s9_top_hd_bw_bKUnnv_g75_i3?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-4&pf_rd_r=107R1AJ32GESMFKG60GR&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=b7ffdf4a-a6e9-5044-aca5-02b2701ef2c5&pf_rd_i=302868011

diapers and basic clothes in much bigger sizes, new parents get a lot of stuff in tiny sizes, but kids grow fast and its so nice to just have something to hold you over or to try when your thinking the baby is getting close to the next size up. plus, you can put a kid in a outfit or diaper that is too big in a pinch, but not a small one ;) Im talking 6months+

"nose frida", I didn't think Id use it until my kid got a cold around 6months and the suction bulbs just were not enough to get all the junk out of her nose, tried this thing and it worked! it will get a lot of laughs at a baby shower too because everyone thinks its gross....

http://www.amazon.com/NoseFrida-The-Snotsucker-Nasal-Aspirator/dp/B00171WXII

Mesh bags for the laundry so all those tiny sox and bits don't go missing!

http://www.amazon.com/Home-Essential-Laundry-Small-Medium/dp/B0084XKRMG

I would actually advise staying away from medications, cleaning and care products unless you know the family well because some families are very particular about these things (I was). I got a bunch of creams, soaps, lotions and potions and I ended up throwing most of it out, our family is very sensitive to chemicals, dyes, fragrances and even some natural ingredients like Lanolin (dryer sheets!), everything I use for my kid is from my kitchen and safe to eat, but people think I'm stuck up or crazy when they hear that. A lot of other moms think homeopathic products are worthless or even dangerous (my neighbor was appalled that I used oil for a ear ach) so in general its kind of a touchy area in my opinion.

All this baby talk makes me want another one.....

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2016, 08:49:22 PM »
Aardra and Kasin brought up a good point. I never buy scented stuff period gift wise, unless asked specifically for XZY brand and product or something. This is speaking as an adult, with horribly sensitive skin and bad chemical headaches. I will agree with your reasoning, as say don't get scented products/lotions/potions gift sets for a generic "maybe this will work" gift period. EVEN if the label claims "fragrance free" or "hypoallergenic" both mean pretty much nothing to someone with a faulty body. adult or baby. I thought I was mostly alone, but it's SHOCKING how many people have issues with fragrances and soaps, chemical headaches, skin reactions, horrible rashes, can trigger asthma attacks. Bath sets and candles I get as presents end up directly at the thrift shop. I just can't use them.

I would actually advise staying away from medications, cleaning and care products unless you know the family well because some families are very particular about these things (I was). I got a bunch of creams, soaps, lotions and potions and I ended up throwing most of it out, our family is very sensitive to chemicals, dyes, fragrances and even some natural ingredients like Lanolin (dryer sheets!), everything I use for my kid is from my kitchen and safe to eat, but people think I'm stuck up or crazy when they hear that. A lot of other moms think homeopathic products are worthless or even dangerous (my neighbor was appalled that I used oil for a ear ach) so in general its kind of a touchy area in my opinion.

All this baby talk makes me want another one.....

I "make" my own household cleaners- I get you. I don't brag about it, but people ask what I use "your floors have no film" or "smells so fresh" and the reaction when I tell them I make my own. stuck up or crazy is the perfect way to put it, so I stopped saying what I do, and just say "thanks". I have pets who are tiny and walk on those floors to worry about. Who groom their paws so residues of cleaning products and such do end up inside them that way I don't want them ingesting tiny amounts of pinesol/wetjet for years. plus (besides the scent) those two cleaners leave a film that makes a sound when you walk across it that gives me the shivers!!!! But I never say anything about what someone else uses in their house.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 08:51:51 PM by FantasticFirefly »

Offline Aflame

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2016, 04:30:47 AM »
we got my sis in law a baby hamper we made ourselves it included baby powder baby oil baby lotion nappy cream white baby grows teddy bear soft bath towel a bottle and a dummy :) we put it in a big basket and wrapped it in celophane :)

Offline SnorkMaiden

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2016, 05:53:16 AM »
If you're up for it, I think some of your time is the best present you can give. There are many varieties, depending on you, as well as on the family situation:

- Look after the baby for an hour, so the parents can do something else.

- Do laundry / go grocery shopping / do some cleaning, while the parents look after the baby.

- Take older siblings out for the afternoon...

Offline Tak

• No Transactions
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2016, 07:15:16 AM »
If you're up for it, I think some of your time is the best present you can give. There are many varieties, depending on you, as well as on the family situation:

- Look after the baby for an hour, so the parents can do something else.

- Do laundry / go grocery shopping / do some cleaning, while the parents look after the baby.

What I would have given for that kind of help. People only offered to watch the baby. She's my baby and I want to watch her. However, my roommates couldn't take their laundry out of the dryer or clean a dish. The first week I literally did all the dishes and made all the meals with one arm while holding my little girl in the other.

Bringing food and cleaning is probably the best gift ever. I never offered to watch the baby unless they were c-section. That bonding time is so amazing.

Offline kasin

• Trade Count: (+42)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
    • Studio BMFC
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2016, 07:37:38 AM »

oh thank you for bringing up siblings! if the family has other young kids its always appreciated to do something for the sibling who might be feeling left out of the excitement. if its a baby shower get a little gift for the child, or if they already had the baby offering to take the older child for a special park trip or a movie or such would be fantastic!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal