collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Lets Discuss Megan and Sundance!  (Read 8843 times)

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
Re: Lets Discuss Megan and Sundance!
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2016, 10:56:49 AM »
I'll update my UK list Taffeta! Thank you sooo much for going to the trouble to share all of this with us.

US megan and sundance.
I wonder if an original error kept being used as reference in many other accessory listings, and people using these references matching rainbow combs and sunnybunch brushes to their megan sets as they sold them, until it was thought these were the correct pieces. (same happened with the party gift pack brush- one illustrated on the box wasn't the shape) On DV megans shoes appear to be a more lavender shade. and in her accessory listing there was this. She listed hippity hops brush as purple too, although we know the name of a different shade more closely matches instead of straight purple.

DV accessory listing, so around forever many sites using as their reference.
Looks like a transcription error- notice molly got the accessories Ivy, I and many other collectors got with SS megan set. :P
"Megan and So Soft Sundance:
purple bird brush & original comb

Molly and Baby Sundance:
blue flower brush & original comb"

Sets whose accessories are hidden inside the packaging when viewed as MIB are the last to have correct ID's for contents or colour shades of brushes/ribbons etc. in my experience.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 10:59:27 AM by FantasticFirefly »

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2016, 11:02:59 AM »
Quote from: ashlyne
The image shoes shoes for Sundance. Also notice "Colours and contents may vary from theme illustrated" in the bottom right corner.

Yep, all of the packages I have says that. And yep, on the insert too. The interesting thing is that you see again a pattern of intercommunication between what was sold in the North American release and what was sold here. On the US card for the outfit, Sundance has no shoes. We see no shoes in the photos of the outfit in the catalogue or in the advert or even in Hasbro's image. But the US outfit has shoes and there are shoes on the box for the UK release, which may have been an image drawn from the US artwork (as seems to have happened on other occasions, eg 1984 Earth Ponies).

I am tempted to believe the comic, as early adverts are usually right and have proven so before in the face of scepticism...but the Argos catalogue image bothers that theory.

If DV is the source of the error it clears up another mystery.

DV was an awesome site back in its day, but accuracy of detail has never been its forte...
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 01:17:18 PM by Taffeta »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2016, 01:03:04 PM »
What an amazing find!  That backcard is beautiful!
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2016, 09:51:37 AM »
What's weird to me is that in the Country Jamboree back card, Sundance looks like she's in the CP pose like that strange one-off Sundance Ember1 got from the UK a while ago.  On the normal back card, she's shown in her normal pose and Honeycomb is vaguely in her own pose as well. 

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2016, 10:45:55 AM »
What's weird to me is that in the Country Jamboree back card, Sundance looks like she's in the CP pose like that strange one-off Sundance Ember1 got from the UK a while ago.  On the normal back card, she's shown in her normal pose and Honeycomb is vaguely in her own pose as well. 

Thus came up in the other discussion, but UK pony package art is not that often in the correct pose for the set. To put the Country Jamboree box into context, here's several other cards from the same release year/art style.
Only Gusty of the Movie Star ponies shows the correct pose.
http://www.etherella.com/scrapbook2/ww_cardback.jpg
At least half of these are not in the right pose for the Flutter set, some are in non existent poses...
http://www.etherella.com/scrapbook2/y2flutterbox.jpg
None of these are particularly accurate either (Mountain Boys). Some of them are female pony poses. (Image property of LadyG)
http://www.etherella.com/scrapbook2/mountainback.JPG
Also not pose accurate here (Newborn Twins)
http://www.etherella.com/scrapbook2/nibdibbox.jpg
Absolutely none are pose accurate here (Princesses)
http://www.etherella.com/scrapbook2/princesspearlboxbig.jpg
Unfortunately I don't have a scan of Tic Tac Toe's card but it's the same for the Twinkle Eyes. I think the poses are the same as here...so 2/6?
http://www.etherella.com/scrapbook2/teinsert.JPG

In the US inserts and cards and such, pose accuracy is pretty spot on still in 1987. This is never the case in the UK. There are not many cards in the UK that actually go with pose accuracy, even in earlier years. I think the Rainbow Ponies might, and perhaps some other 1984 art, but it's not common. It's more usual for them to draw a picture and use random stock poses than try to display the actual pose. So Sundance's pose on the box is completely irrelevant to her issue. As the adverts and such show, CJ Sundance was in the shy pose.

The image on the box is the same as the image on the 1987 insert, just reversed.

Also, Ember bought her Sundance from the wider EU somewhere, and in Euros. We don't use Euros in the UK, so it wasn't from here. We only have the seller's word for it that it originated here in the UK, because the seller Ember bought from was located somewhere on the continent. That seller claimed it came from a UK pony meet, but there were no UK pony meets at the time she claimed to have been here and obtained it, so I suspect the seller was mistaken in her recollection.

There is nothing in UK materials to suggest a CP Sundance ever happened here in any context, promotional or otherwise, and all Sundances sold here were made in Spain, anyway, which Ember's Sundance isn't.

I believe any HK Sundance prototype would have originated in the US line, not least because Hasbro US designed her and everyone else just copied.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 02:31:16 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2016, 01:38:21 PM »
Awesome! Nice find Taffeta :) I completely take that back. It must have been a much more limited release but the backcard is more than enough proof for me :)
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2016, 01:50:14 PM »
Awesome! Nice find Taffeta :) I completely take that back. It must have been a much more limited release but the backcard is more than enough proof for me :)
I think it probably was. I know you have the catalogues and stuff, and 1987 seems to have been a bit messed up. I genuinely thing it's related to what we didn't already have for the movie, and them trying to get that out in whatever form, so we got some odd things, like two Buttons and a Country Jamboree M&S...

(OT - whenever I type M&S I think of Marks & Spencer's M&S Food ads...>.>)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ember1

• Trade Count: (+81)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2016, 02:27:00 PM »
What a cute thread. I love all the photos.. Sundance is one of my favorites too.. Here is the proto cp sundance with megan and proto painting time :)
And sundance was bought on german eBay :) So who knows where she originated from but she does have many characteristics in common with painting time and other prototypes. There is a catalogue photo floating around somewhere of a cp sundance and megan apparently. I have been unable to track it down but I have heard it exists. Perhaps she is the prototype from that catalogue photo.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 02:30:29 PM by Ember1 »
Andre's Sunsparkler Hybrid Proto
"Love is the only truly immortal thing in this world, and if we can learn to love
unconditionally, than it is possible to break down the barriers of death itself."

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2016, 02:58:08 PM »
I'm absolutely amazed my card is so unique. It's been sitting in my collection for over 15 years, and it's the only UK Megan and Sundance card I have. I thought it was the standard release all these years. I had no idea it was the first piece of proof for a UK line controversy. It was just blind luck I sent Taffeta a link to my UK backcard collection when I did.

Who knew?

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2016, 03:12:06 PM »
I'm absolutely amazed my card is so unique. It's been sitting in my collection for over 15 years, and it's the only UK Megan and Sundance card I have. I thought it was the standard release all these years. I had no idea it was the first piece of proof for a UK line controversy. It was just blind luck I sent Taffeta a link to my UK backcard collection when I did.

Who knew?

Would you mind if I used the backcard picture on my pony blog, goddessofpeep?  It's gorgeous!  (Link to the blog is in my signature.)

Also, if you get the time, I would love to know what Megan & Sundance's backcard story is!
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2016, 04:02:52 PM »
If you squint, you can read the story (or at least, I can read the story o.O). Wind Whistler is beautifully movie-style in her vocab...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline goddessofpeep

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2016, 04:14:19 PM »
I have a much higher resolution version of the picture on my computer somewhere. I'll try to track it down soon, but it might take a few days. The card is currently buried in the closet, and due to a back injury I can't be lifting heavy bins right now. The high rez version should have a perfectly legible story though, so I'll get to that asap.

LadyMoondancer: feel free to my picture on your blog if you put proper credit with it when you post it:)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 02:52:14 AM by goddessofpeep »

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2016, 04:27:48 PM »
due to never seeing the catalog photograph or actual box or backcard, I had them written in as "(Mystery - Megan and Sundance re-issue (did it happen?? I think not)". I just never did trust prototypes or hasbro's art department alone.   I'm glad I'll be able to update it for that year in my UK checklist. and thankyou goddessofpeep for solving a pony mystery! You don't understand how geekily happy the information you and Taffeta provided made me. :)

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2016, 04:38:22 PM »
due to never seeing the catalog photograph

This is where I confess that I have had that Argos image for as long as most of the other Argos images on my site, but didn't put it up because a: my Megan and Sundance section needs sorting out and b: I wasn't that interested in Megan and Sundance, couldn't put every Argos image I have up, and didn't realise this one was at all important till I learned people didn't believe the release existed...

I am a bad ponyperson. xD. One thing I will do this summer, providing I pass my upgrade in May and don't have a mountain of rework, is fix the Megan and Sundance stuff on my site so it no longer looks like someone just shoved as many pictures on there as possible to save time >.>

(skulks away)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline goddessofpeep

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2016, 05:14:11 PM »
Apparently my computer is *slightly* better organized than I thought.  I was able to find the high resolution image quicker than I expected, and I got a good shot of the story for anyone who is interested:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal