collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Flea market prices for ponies gone crazy?  (Read 3240 times)

Offline CustomsRfun

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Wanted: MOC Surprise and MIB baby Surprise
    • View Profile
Re: Flea market prices for ponies gone crazy?
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2016, 03:37:06 AM »
We got up at 6AM today to go to 3 different flea markets. All there was were 3 G (i don't collect them) and a Bluebelle with so much sharpie on her symbol i had to deduct whoshe was by coloring/mane combination...
So i came back home half frozen and empty handed.

But yeah i noticed that prices qre sky rocketing as well.. last time i found a G1 (mangy, half covered in glitter and with a chewed ear), the girl wanted 5 euros for it.... No way...
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 10:12:12 AM by CustomsRfun »
Open for Customs Commissions :)

LOOKING FOR:
MOC Surprise and MIB baby Surprise

Offline Skelletonimp

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • www.typicaltish.webs.com
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2016, 03:58:46 AM »
I totally agree.
I just got home from a fleamarket too, also only G3 ponies. There was one seller who had two ponies, she asked €1 per pony (which is too expensive in my opinion for very common ponies).
Another seller was selling a whole bunch of regular G3 ponies, and she even asked €3 per pony.
But it really depends on the sellers. I've also found some HTF G1 ponies lately, like French Windy, and I believe I only payed €0,25 for her.

Offline CustomsRfun

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2016, 10:14:36 AM »
I just really hate when people try to sell you a pony that is in a terrible condition (the can you can only bait, with no tail, pockmarks, chewed on limbs) and ask like 5/8 euros for it...

And when you object about it's condition they answer "but it's a collectible, you know? It's worth money!"
Not in this state, no...

LOOKING FOR:

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2016, 10:34:48 AM »
I don't really think so.

There have always been the crazy vendors that jack the prices up because "that's what it goes for on ebay" or "it's a collectors item".

And the vendors who just want to get rid of their stuff for cheap.

But you get that across the board, not just with ponies. I've seen people print out ebay listings (not completed listings, mind you) or put collector books with pricing on it... :) Just kinda makes me laugh. Like ok, if I wanna pay that much I'll buy it on ebay. Or wanting to say "You KNOW... that doesn't mean it sells for that much". Or "Why don't you just sell it on ebay, then?

But in my area, to get good deals... you pretty much have to go there first thing. Because otherwise the people who flip will snatch them up... sometimes flipping them at the same place, same day.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

StyleOfTheTimes

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2016, 11:44:14 AM »
It's such a shame that people try and rip others off. It's not just mlp that sellers overprice. I collect moon dreamers, star castles and 90s Barbies and on eBay the sellers have pound signs in their eyes. Things that should be a few pounds are hiked up to a ridiculous price. Same at car boot sales. Really takes the fun out of collecting some times :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline SnorkMaiden

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2016, 12:21:58 PM »
Around here, ponies at cat boot sales still tend to be reasonably priced, unless they're from professional sellers. There's one seller I come across regularly. Her prices are higher than what I'd normally pay, but I still check out her stall every time because I noticed she doesn't do any research on what she's selling. Every adult pony is priced at x amount of money, every baby at y, every accessory at z. Once or twice, I've been able to find something rare.

Prices are usually a lot higher in charity shops. I've seen fakies from the pound store with three or four times their retail price. Thankfully, not all stores do that, but it's quite a few now.

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2016, 12:38:49 PM »
I don't really think so.

There have always been the crazy vendors that jack the prices up because "that's what it goes for on ebay" or "it's a collectors item".

But you get that across the board, not just with ponies. I've seen people print out ebay listings (not completed listings, mind you) or put collector books with pricing on it... :) Just kinda makes me laugh. Like ok, if I wanna pay that much I'll buy it on ebay. Or wanting to say "You KNOW... that doesn't mean it sells for that much". Or "Why don't you just sell it on ebay, then?

But in my area, to get good deals... you pretty much have to go there first thing. Because otherwise the people who flip will snatch them up... sometimes flipping them at the same place, same day.
Flea markets here are different I think than some areas. In the shops people rent a booth space and that space is open all the time and according to stall numbers you pay up front at the register and they keep tabs of which item came from where. The stall owners are never there and there is a low turnover of items so when it comes to toys I know the same three or four stalls that will have them in a store >_<
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2016, 01:08:30 PM »
I don't really think so.

Flea markets here are different I think than some areas. In the shops people rent a booth space and that space is open all the time and according to stall numbers you pay up front at the register and they keep tabs of which item came from where. The stall owners are never there and there is a low turnover of items so when it comes to toys I know the same three or four stalls that will have them in a store >_<

Ooh i see! That's like an antique mall. Here, those tend to also be more expensive with low turnover. I think there is less incentive to sell at a permanent spot cuz you don't have to haul the junk weekly, nor have to be present to sell.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline octocorn

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Don't dream it, be it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2016, 04:39:04 PM »
I bought I think around 17 ponies today for $3-4 each at the flea market, which I think is fair, they're gorgeous ponies! I haven't sorted through them yet to see who I have though.  However, at the same flea market this other seller has this tote of ponies that he's had for at least two years, and his are priced anywhere from $8-22, which he will not budge on, and he's repeatedly told me that "yeah, I have a guy that buys those for his wife, he bought a bunch last week, probably gonna come back for the rest." Riiiiiight.  From what I can tell, he's never sold a single one. 

Offline ponybanker

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2016, 05:12:09 PM »
my thrift stores all price ponies low, usually in bags for $2.99-$4.99 depending on how many per bag, flea market that comes once a month the most i paid for a pony was $3, most are $1. The normal "vintage toy booths" of course price to ebay standards but you know to avoid them anyways cause they never have anything worth looking twice at.

Offline Baby Crumpet

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • Never too many Tex's!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2016, 07:48:55 AM »
I haven't been to a flea market in a while, but last year or so I went into a church sale thing. There was a woman with a table full of toys, and a pony. It was a lovely shape G3 that I didn't have, so I was excited. She asked if I was a collector, and I said, "kind of," and my younger sister said "yes!" This woman charged me £7 for a G3, a G3.5 and some accessories. I was a little miffed but my dad was buying and it was too late to say 'no'. She was a great shape pony, but I can't help but kick myself. It isn't so bad for me locally, I can score a nice bundle of ponies for a few pounds in charity shops. One even keeps them back for me, which is really nice. In a way I can't wait for FIM to drop out and then perhaps the prices will even out. I guess though if anything is 'vintage' it's more than likely 'collectable'.

:glitter: Thank you to Nence and starrynights for my signature and Trinity for my avatar :glitter:
Wishlist

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2016, 08:14:17 AM »
Most of the time I find ponies from all gens for $1-4 each.  G1 a lot less frequently. 

But one time I did run across a stall that had a bunch of G3 and G4.  She had a gallon sized ziploc full of random G3 plus accesories and wanted $30 for them!  "They don't make them anymore".  Yeah, I had to walk away from that booth without buying anything.  It was all overpriced.

Synthetica

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2016, 07:43:00 PM »
I've noticed G1 prices climbing at flea markets in the past few years, as well.

The same woman that I regularly bought ponies off of at a local flea market went from $2-$3 per pony to $8-$12 per pony this past year. She doesn't even seem to have any rhyme or reason to how she prices them.

I still run into a few that have flat rates on ponies of around $3, but I'm seeing less and less ponies from random sellers and a lot more of them from people that deal in vintage toys exclusively.

And it kills me to leave them behind, because for at least 5 years, I didn't find a single pony in the wild. When I did start finding them again, I was snatching up anything I could get my hands on - now the prices are skyrocketing.

But I still can't seem to find them in thrift shops.  :P

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2016, 08:00:07 PM »
Geez. Ok I get that I can't expect people to dive into this sorta thing like My People™ (all y'all) do but come ON if you're going to sell something, at least know what kind of price is reasonable?

Nobody I know is going to pay over maybe $6 for a Peachy or Cotton Candy. I'm just sayin'. ☕
WishlistChecklistSalesPonysonaCommissions

Offline CustomsRfun

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2016, 03:11:53 AM »
I was looking at pics of a con i was planning to go to and a detail on a booth attracted my eyes..
On one of the "vintage toys" booth, in full sight, two fakies.
Priced each 12$ (!!!)

For *fakies*.

Those guys clearly had no idea on what they were selling.
"It looks like a MLP let's put a HUGE price tag on it"

LOOKING FOR:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal