collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Thinking about going Pescatarian, anyone here on this 'diet'?  (Read 3262 times)

Offline wystearya

• Trade Count: (+67)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Thinking about going Pescatarian, anyone here on this 'diet'?
« on: January 29, 2016, 04:27:48 PM »
I know it's not really a diet, as it's a lifestyle, but I didn't know how else to word the topic.   :blush:

Lately I have been feeling bad and gaining weight.  I *know* it's been because of what I have been eating.  I have allowed my fiance's bad eating habits to overcome my healthy ones.  So, the past week I have focused more on veggies and cutting back on bad carbs. (I see you bag of Doritos..!) 

But, I am thinking I would like to do more.  I have cut back on meat and I am enjoying it so far.  Ideally, I am thinking I want to cut out red meat 100% and slowly cut out chicken.  I do eat a lot of chicken now though, but I know it's not really all that healthy.  I prefer the thighs to the breast, so it's fatty.

I love seafood, so I can definitely see Pescatarian working for me.  But I am wanting to know if anyone here has tried it or is currently Pescaratian. 

This is going to be hard, but I think it is something I at least want to try out.  It has to be healthier than what I have been doing, and if I feel better it would be great!

Thanks for any stories or advice!  (Or recipes!)
~Wystearya

Offline ghouldilocks

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • The Rainbow Stable
Re: Thinking about going Pescatarian, anyone here on this 'diet'?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 06:03:54 PM »
I don't really have any advice as far as being pescatarian...I don't eat red meat, but it's not for health or political reasons, I just have never cared for it. Just be sure you definitely get a lot of other protein sources in your diet, though, if you plan to cut out everything but seafood where meat is concerned!

I am a lover of seafood, though, and just wanted to suggest you check out the Monterey Bay Aquarium's Seafood Watch program, if you haven't already - it's important (to me, anyway, lol) to consider only eating seafood that has been responsibly sourced. You can download their free app, but they have printable guides as well, and you can see what places near you are partners in the program:  https://www.seafoodwatch.org

Really, I feel like seafood is totally capable of being just as unhealthy as any other food, it's just a matter of smart portioning and how things are cooked (just look at fish & chips, fried shrimp, fried calamari, Long John Silver, etc. lol). But if this is something you want to try out, good luck! Key Ingredient is a cool website, it's basically Pinterest but only for food, so you could probably find loads of recipes there for ideas!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

ISO: ITALIAN PRETTY PARLOR

(formerly known as ClawleenMeowlen)

Offline wystearya

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2016, 06:14:15 PM »
Thank you for the seafood watch link!  I am looking at it now.  :)

I do know anything can be unhealthy, though I cannot have fried foods as they are most often breaded and I can't have gluten anymore.  So, that forces me to make healthier options when eating out.  ;)  But, I do feel like if I stick with fruits, veggies, and seafood it could work for me.  Cut back on higher 'bad fat' meats and cholesterol.    I have to watch my cholesterol too, I always test borderline high, and it runs in my family. 

Thanks for the recipe site too!  I will be sure to check it out also!

Offline Seachanger

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 07:45:46 PM »
Me :yippee: I've been pescatarian for close to twenty years. Really I'm mostly vegetarian but I'll occasionally eat fish. I have high cholesterol running in my family too. I eat a lot of legumes and quinoa and I've found tons of good recipes on Pinterest. My go to for fish is McCormick salmon grill spice. It works on pretty much any fish. I just shake it on and put the fish on my George Foreman grill. When it's done I top it with some pico de gallo and pair it with a side salad or some quinoa.
Thanks devonshireRed for the avi!

Offline Honeycomb

• Looking for BB brushes and bandannas!
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+137)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Wanted: MIB FT Baby Tic Tac Toe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2016, 09:14:30 PM »
I stopped eating meat 16 years ago, and I have always disliked milk and eggs, but I wasn't able to stop eating fish, and especially seafood. For me it's the perfect choice, because being purely vegetarian makes it really hard to eat at restaurants or family gatherings, so if you tell people that fish is ok, they aren't so scared of inviting you. My experience.
I don't eat fish that often, but seafood yes, maybe once a week. I mainly live on tofu, vegetables and rice, and it's working well for me. Blood check results have always been good.
I think making this choice will be beneficient to your health, especially the cholesterol.
Good luck!

Offline wystearya

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking about going Pescatarian, anyone here on this \'diet\'?
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2016, 05:52:07 AM »
Me :yippee: I've been pescatarian for close to twenty years. Really I'm mostly vegetarian but I'll occasionally eat fish. I have high cholesterol running in my family too. I eat a lot of legumes and quinoa and I've found tons of good recipes on Pinterest. My go to for fish is McCormick salmon grill spice. It works on pretty much any fish. I just shake it on and put the fish on my George Foreman grill. When it's done I top it with some pico de gallo and pair it with a side salad or some quinoa.

I will try that spice!   I love trying new flavors!

Post Merge: January 30, 2016, 05:53:08 AM

I stopped eating meat 16 years ago, and I have always disliked milk and eggs, but I wasn't able to stop eating fish, and especially seafood. For me it's the perfect choice, because being purely vegetarian makes it really hard to eat at restaurants or family gatherings, so if you tell people that fish is ok, they aren't so scared of inviting you. My experience.
I don't eat fish that often, but seafood yes, maybe once a week. I mainly live on tofu, vegetables and rice, and it's working well for me. Blood check results have always been good.
I think making this choice will be beneficient to your health, especially the cholesterol.
Good luck!

Right, I don't think I could personally go without some kind of meat and I agree that seafood will make eating out easier.

And I do hope it helps the cholesterol, that would be awesome!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm actually getting excited about giving this a try.  I've looked into some vegetarian recipes as well as tips for pescatarians and which fish and seafood to eat.   The foods all look great!  I will be going to the store later today and stocking up on some fresh veggies and more fish.   I can't wait!    ^.^

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2016, 06:55:24 AM »
Not me. I really dislike fish. Well eating them anyway. I adore them as pets.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2016, 10:43:09 AM »
I have a friend who's a pescatarian.  My only input is that there are, in fact, marshmallows made of "fish gelatin" instead of mammal gelatin.  I found them when I invited him and some other friends over for smores.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2016, 10:47:30 AM »
Honestly, id advise against it.

I cant eat protein other then chicken due to medical reasons.

Im getting pummeled in by my dietitian because my body is now taking a major beating due to a lack of protein and iron..to the point where supplements aren't doing much.

I don't know about seafood (THAT is a personal choice..not only do I swear im allergic, I haven't had anything seafood since I was 5) but I am warning you..you might be stepping into some hot water.  Be careful.

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline Chrissytree

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+266)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Weebly Pony Sales
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2016, 03:47:35 PM »
I've been Pescetarian for 25 years but I'm an unhealthy eating one so that's still possible to do :P  I guess its really down to you to eat healthily with or without meat.
If you're going serious with no animal products then it becomes more difficult but the basic "no meat" approach is easy and you can replace meat with products such as soya, tofu or Quorn and of course fish :)

Offline Honeycomb

• Looking for BB brushes and bandannas!
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+137)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Wanted: MIB FT Baby Tic Tac Toe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2016, 04:09:29 PM »
I'd suggest having blood work done before you start the changes, and again after a few months, then you will see if it's good for your body. Best of luck!

Offline lunar_scythe

• factory error Blue Belle
  • Gold Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+84)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2016, 04:44:56 PM »
Just be careful of the amount of mercury in certain fish, and be aware that here in the US, there's a lot of issues with one type of fish being sold as another.  It's been happening in restaurants and in grocery stores, so unless you can get it from a local seller, that may be an issue.

I've only recently been willing to eat *any* fish; too many years of cheap fish sticks as a kid, I think, so it's not a lifestyle for me! :P
My Army of Bluebelles (New pic coming sooner or later)

Offline wystearya

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2016, 06:31:16 AM »
Yes, sadly I am aware of the mercury risks.  Which is why I would have to try some of the smaller fish, sardines and herring were recommended on some websites I have looked at.

I am glad you pointed out the iron issue though.  My Mom told me she always tests low for iron, and while I personally have yet to do so, this could be  a real concern for me.  I will be sure to talk to my doctor about all this.

Thank you all!

Offline joce

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2016, 01:21:44 PM »
 Any diet is worth a try. See how you feel and how you react. Have you talked to a dietitician?

I have been on soooo many diets. I never lost more than five or ten lbs. was always told it's strictly on calories. Take in less you'll lose. Nope. I don't eat a lot but can gain easilly. Have pcos and think that has given me a lot of issues( high prolactin issues to since young which were never explained,no tumor).

Finally decided to try low carb after two coworkers lost and kept off over 100bs. I've dropped 60 and cholesterol is down. It's not bad at all. Definately something I can keep up. One of my coworkers transitioned back to breads and is doing good. She is strictly counting calories now.

Makes sense to me with pcos because my blood sugar would drop and I would be starving and want to binge. Be shakey. It was awful. But when you do eat then you get more of a spike and because of the pcos you take those carbs in and store them differently. And even natural fruit is a carb. Finally at the point I can eat raspberries again which is nice lol! I basically live out meat, fish and cheese. Broccoli and cauliflower. Did 20 carbs a day first two ish weeks and now I don't even count. Maybe 50-70 a day. If you crave sweets adkins makes chocolates. I don't call it adkins I follow but close and their shakes and snacks are good.

Some people can just do simple things like stopping pop/diet pop. My husband downs the stuff.

Good luck with whatever you do try! It's always tough at first but soon becomes habit!!
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.
-Roger Caras

Offline tikibirds

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2016, 02:41:28 AM »
Eh, the easiest diet for me was the "Lets move to china and see how this goes" diet..
Umm..what is this?
It's like meat...
Yeah, meat of what?  :shocked:
Anyways, I don't think it would work for me. All the fish I have seen here have their heads and fins still attached when served. I like shellfish but I can't eat things with eyes still attached. Most people here seem to live off of noodles (ramen noodles for breakfast? nope). I like rice better with egg and some kind of tofu that comes out of a glass jar and is salty.

Follow me in Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/midnight_fox_fire/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal