collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Hasbro Accused of Piracy Over MLP Font  (Read 7153 times)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: Hasbro Accused of Piracy Over MLP Font
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2016, 01:12:06 PM »
From an article on this "In addition, Font Brothers demand the destruction of all products and material which utilize the infringing font."
 :shocked:
Seems like overkill.

What are they going to do? Raid every collector's homes and seize all the G4 merch? If they show up at my house to take my ponies, they will be met by my dad's shotgun!

sailorstitch

They would probably just have any new products that haven't been packaged changed. If anything comes of this at all.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
Re: Hasbro Accused of Piracy Over MLP Font
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2016, 03:08:35 PM »
The statement that the owner of the rights to the font wants "all items destroyed" that use the font is just a usual thing said in such disputes (like a threat). In general, an issue like this is very likely to be resolved by a mutual agreement, where Hasbro will pay an amount XY and the rights holder will grant an extended license.
Licensing is a very complicated field, and mistakes happen all the time.

Source: I was a trained paralegal before I switched to the light side of the Force and stopped helping lawyers to make rich people richer.  :lol:

Yep.  Its all a bluff to get Hasbro frightened to want to pay to settle the issue.  No worries, MLP isn't doomed, and this won't cause G5 to happen :)

And yeah, lawsuits take an extremely long time to get started.  It could either be the fact of our slow legal system, or that they waited for the perfect time to strike to get the most money/best outcome from Hasbro.

Regardless, Hasbro will be signing a check. lol

LOL - all of this.

This will be settled out of court by Hasbro happily paying Font Bros a tidy settlement as well as a tie up with them for having the "MLP official font" and perhaps a change to licensee agreements.

This kind of thing happens all the time with big brands. Payment after use (and once the big brand knows if its worth it) is pretty common.

Funny story but honestly something that happens to marketing departments and marketing companies - borrowed fonts, borrowed images, borrowed branding, borrowed themse, etc etc. :)
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal