collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: When isn't it worth it?  (Read 2838 times)

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: When isn't it worth it?
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2016, 06:35:03 PM »
Once in a while I put a couple ponies who aren't that sought after or are in so-so condition on eBay in small lots.  Usually lots of 4 because I can fit 4 ponies in a large bubble envelope.  I start the bidding at $4 and auction them off.  That's what I'd do if I had a lot of ponies like Yum Yum.  I figure they are either going to fill in the gaps in someone's collection or are getting bought by people who want ponies for their kids to play with.  It's possible some of them get customized, but if that's the case, well, it's out of my hands at that point.

Also, yeah, I would suggest advertising Yum Yum on the sales board.  I never look at the Trade board at all because I prefer to buy outright, and I just assume that's not an option with Trade posts so I don't bother looking at them.  I think a lot of people are like that.

Yeah, I basically don't look at the Trade forum if I'm looking to buy; most people are looking for specific items, not cash! :blush: I always feel bad PMing a "for trade" seller asking if they'll sell, it feels like it's imposing on them, even though logically it probably isn't.

My feeling is - your pony, your choice, obviously! Heck, if you own a MIP Rapunzel, it is your legal right to rip her open, hack off her hair, light her on fire! :P However, that doesn't mean that the collecting community will necessarily appreciate that, so if you do choose to do something like that, I wouldn't post about it, unless you wanna end up tarred and feathered. ;)

That said: I do my best to restore/clean any pony that comes into my hands, if it even seems slightly remote that they could be fixed. I am a huge pony fan, and that includes cleaning up and restoring them! However, I do also enjoy customizing ponies that are too far gone to be saved or restored. So how do I make that balance work? For me, personally, I don't customize to sell - I customize for myself. (But I do appreciate the people who create gorgeous-enough work that it will command a high price!) Do I want a bald headed/butted (LOL) pony sitting in my box, or do I want to give her a fresh new look? Who would I enjoy in my collection more, Bald Peachy or Blue Peachy? I make the judgment call on every pony in my baitbox, and sometimes they are too far gone, and sometimes I try to fix them up.

It's a tricky moral call, and I think every collector approaches it differently - which doesn't make anyone wrong, per se. Just different! :)

There is a reason I push trades so much tho. I want so many things that are sadly not available here. And for me trades are just a lot more fair. Because exchange rates aren't the only variable. Things tend to cost more outside the US. As an example, let's say I have a new G4 *insert brushable only found in the US* pony that is worth $5 to trade. In a store in the UK a *insert brushable pony only available outside US* would go for the equivalent of $10. But I could directly trade a brushable for a brushable. If I were to sell it for money I would only have half of what I needed to get the UK pony. Either way I'd still need to pay shipping since I'm looking for something outside the US. But maybe if I add some more common things that I'm looking for in my signature that would help?

Yeah I wouldn't mind doing a custom swap someday but otherwise I usually customize things just for myself. Except that alt Sweet 1600 Clawdeen. And the only reason I'm trying to get rid of her is that I decided I wasn't going to collect the Sweet 1600 set. Without the set I didn't want to keep Clawdeen anymore and so I try to find her a new home.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 06:36:49 PM by Wardah »
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2016, 01:09:57 PM »
I restore for fun and for science :P I am a picky collector so I dont keep restored ponies in my collection. If I have a pony that needs restoration than it does come down to a financial decision. Is it financially worth my while (time and effort and pennies) to fix that pony up...weighed against what I will get for her $ wise if I was selling straight out with her issues. More often than not unless I want to test a new theory, I will just sell the pony on. I always think it makes more sense that I get my base value and a new owner perfects the pony in the way they want rather than the way I prefer.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Sukey

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2016, 05:47:47 PM »
I only buy G1s and I won't restore a pony with a lot of mold spots, a lot of permanent marks or major bite marks/missing chunks.  If I don't  think I can help the pony- I won't buy it.  My restoring extent usually is cleaning the best I can with various products, defrizzing hair, and rehearing. I don't really trust myself to paint on eyes or symbols at all. I have never sunfaded, but that doesn't mean I would never try it.

I enjoy cleaning ponies more than any other toy line.  When I buy/find a pony, I can't wait to clean it and that is almost always immediately-  even if we go out of town to a toy show and come back late that night, I will usually clean them as soon as we get home. I like the challenge of a grubby pony!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

A Furrever Friends Site

*** Looking for a Glory tin- I have a Starshine tin for trade ***

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal