collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: White Pony Royal cape?  (Read 4047 times)

Offline Haruna

• Ninja Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Many thanks to Nence for my beautiful avatar!
    • View Profile
Re: White Pony Royal cape?
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2016, 12:52:34 PM »
Here's pics of the one I have. It reeeeeeks of vinegar. It is not original to me. But I don't think that particular smell is from storage, none of the ponies or other items I got with it smelled like that.

Whoa, now I'm really tempted to experiment with a baity Pony Royal cape! Do you remember if yours came from the UK at all? I'm wondering if those capes are more prone to losing their color when something happens to them (whether just play or washing or . . . vinegar!). Mine doesn't smell like vinegar, but that's really interesting that yours apparently got that way because of vinegar!

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2016, 12:53:58 PM »
Here's pics of the one I have. It reeeeeeks of vinegar. It is not original to me. But I don't think that particular smell is from storage, none of the ponies or other items I got with it smelled like that.

Whoa, now I'm really tempted to experiment with a baity Pony Royal cape! Do you remember if yours came from the UK at all? I'm wondering if those capes are more prone to losing their color when something happens to them (whether just play or washing or . . . vinegar!). Mine doesn't smell like vinegar, but that's really interesting that yours apparently got that way because of vinegar!
This cape was a local purchase. There were no other UK ponies or parts with it. Original to previous owner.

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2016, 02:29:53 PM »
I have seen a couple of these over the years :) I do think they are stunning in white. However as others have mentioned they are a result of aging. The dye used for the satin is not the most colour fast and unfortunately it really does not take much for it to go this way. Congrats on a lovely new addition :)
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Nonnavlis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • ~Tiny Space Princess~
    • View Profile
    • My Instagram
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2016, 11:24:06 PM »
These are so beautiful! :happy: I'm so tempted to make a replica of one now, aha.

I just wanted to add that I know a lot of people will use a vinegar soak to set red/pink dye (which is usually the most prone to bleeding) into fabric before washing it so it won't bleed onto other clothing or white trimmings, etc. It's possible that's what some mother may have tried to do with your cape, mlp4me, and it didn't go so well! My own mother does this all the time (I do as well), and it usually works great, but I've never tried it on silk/satin. It would certainly explain the vinegar smell!

Offline Emfen

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Scented Moonlight Pony
    • View Profile
    • MLW Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2016, 09:38:13 AM »
I would say no, I observed a local auction of a severly faded cape that was pale pink which raised questions of it being a variant. It seems this fabric is very prone to fading. :(
~✿~| No longer actively collecting. |~✿~

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal