collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Silent Hill Fans, Advice Needed On The Game Series  (Read 1364 times)

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
Silent Hill Fans, Advice Needed On The Game Series
« on: December 18, 2015, 01:17:16 PM »
OK so I know the games have been out for a while.  I had the movie for a bit but ended up selling it to F.Y.E. a while back.  I think sometime about 2008 or 2009 I was really considering getting into the games but never did.  Although I did enjoy the movie I was told it was basically crap compared to the games.  They said the only good part about the movie was the music.  I didn't like the second movie though.

Anyway, I ordered the original Silent Hill for my PS2 and should get it tomorrow.  I'm very excited but I'm also thinking ahead and wanted to start getting the other games too but I also feel like I should wait and see if I like the first game before I get the other games.

I heard about the HD collection for PS3 that has the second and third game.  I have the HD collection for Tomb Raider and Metal Gear Solid and they're great.  But, lots of reviews say the HD collection has tons of glitches and bugs, such as the game freezing in the middle of cutscenes, etc.

So, I thought about getting the Playstation console versions---I read mostly good reviews on amazon for the second game, but there were some bad reviews, which made me question whether or not I should get the other games.

I was surprised that the cheapest Silent Hill I could find on amazon was $25, after that it went up to $30 and $50, etc.  These were from third party sellers, amazon doesn't have it directly.

So, to those who have played the games do you think it's worth it for me to get the others for Playstation or should I wait?  :wonder:

Thanks in advance for answers. :)

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
Re: Silent Hill Fans, Advice Needed On The Game Series
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2015, 07:12:09 PM »
The first game is great, one of my personal favorites. However, it's a classic survival horror from back-in-the-day and as such very slow paced. The second (my fav of the series and one of my favs games of all time) is very different. So, first thing, if you like the original - play 2 and 3. If you don't like the original, play 2 and 3  :lol:

I have the PS1 and PS2 versions of the games so I can't comment on the HD collections, but I've never had issues with my copies.

Silent Hill 2, again is very different from the first. It has a different story, a completely different, in terms of personality and ability protagonist, and it has more action - but not as much as modern survival horrors. It's plenty scary. I absolutely recommend it. The 3rd is also very, very good. It continues after the first and has, IMO, some of the creepiest things in it.

After that, eh. I've played 4: The Room, and while it has some seriously creepy things in it, the story and protagonist are just... ugh. Not good. I haven't bothered with any after that, so can't comment.

You should definitely try 1,2 and 3 though. And I really have to push this - The first game is very, very slow. It's subtle and quiet and Harry, the guy you play as, is kind of inept (on purpose!) and you will die, a lot. And you will get stuck, a lot. But try to stick with it and not rely on a walkthrough too much. Pretend it is 1997 and be one with the game :P It's worth it.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Barnacle is my first mate!
    • View Profile
    • Video Games as Literature
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 09:39:24 PM »
I have the HD collection and haven't played it yet, and I hadn't heard about the bugs. :( If I give it a try anytime soon I'll let you know how it works out. I think if you're a fan of horror games you should definitely play this series since it's considered one of the top classics of the genre. Aaaand this reminds me that my local game store has the first game for sale and I need to buy it when I get my next paycheck (I really hope it'll still be there!).

Also remember that the original game on PS1 can be played on any PS3. I sometimes forget that the PS3 can still play PS1 games! :D

Offline Aerora

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2015, 12:10:53 AM »
FWIW, the HD collection also has a redub - you can choose between the two for SH2, but 3's only got the new version. (They're kind of weird, IMO - a lot of very recognizable voices. Troy Baker as James Sunderland is an incredibly weird choice.) I have seen a lot of talk about the HD release basically being one big mess, though - less fog but no attempts to clean up what's now visible and worse-looking, bugs, freezes, etc. The company that handled it didn't have much of any experience with this kind of thing.

Maybe try ebay, if Amazon's prices are weird? I've had some decent luck with PS1/2 games there.

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2015, 08:29:51 AM »
I haven't played them, but I have this thing for completion so I'd probably go ahead and get it.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2015, 11:46:50 AM »
I have the HD collection and haven't played it yet, and I hadn't heard about the bugs. :( If I give it a try anytime soon I'll let you know how it works out. I think if you're a fan of horror games you should definitely play this series since it's considered one of the top classics of the genre. Aaaand this reminds me that my local game store has the first game for sale and I need to buy it when I get my next paycheck (I really hope it'll still be there!).

Also remember that the original game on PS1 can be played on any PS3. I sometimes forget that the PS3 can still play PS1 games! :D

My PS3 isn't backwards compatible, I got one of the earlier ones, but thanks anyway for the suggestion. ;)

Post Merge: December 19, 2015, 11:50:10 AM

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.  I may get the originals so that way I don't risk bugs from the HD collection.  I checked The Toy Vault for the games first but they only had Shattered Glass and I'm nots sure what number that is in the series.  Someone told me it's a reboot of the first one.  I also want to get Silent Hill Origin because I heard it's a prequel to the first one.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 11:50:10 AM by Majesty »

Offline Sora

• Pokémon Master
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2015, 01:45:08 PM »
To be honest with you, I purchased Downpour for my mother as her first Silent Hill game (after she had watched the movies, she became intrigued). We later purchased the HD Collection, and, honestly, if you haven't played the originals, there are only a few bugs/changes you'll probably come across - SH3 had some funky shadow graphics, for instance). We didn't experience many problems with the game at all. But yeah, the fog is drastically different (and I only know that because I watched a comparison vid later).

Still, by the sounds of it, definitely get the originals if you can. But at least for me, the HD isn't as bug-infested as people make it out to be. That, or we were extremely lucky whilst playing.

Aqua Heart custom by Kitkumi!

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2015, 02:00:18 PM »
To be honest with you, I purchased Downpour for my mother as her first Silent Hill game (after she had watched the movies, she became intrigued). We later purchased the HD Collection, and, honestly, if you haven't played the originals, there are only a few bugs/changes you'll probably come across - SH3 had some funky shadow graphics, for instance). We didn't experience many problems with the game at all. But yeah, the fog is drastically different (and I only know that because I watched a comparison vid later).

Still, by the sounds of it, definitely get the originals if you can. But at least for me, the HD isn't as bug-infested as people make it out to be. That, or we were extremely lucky whilst playing.
As someone who already bought the HD collection, that's good to hear.

Offline prancingstag

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2015, 06:36:16 PM »
Some notes for each main-line game :)

Spoiler
SH 1, 2 and 3 are absolute classics. Despite the clunkiness and confusion that can permeate all older games (especially pre-PS2 titles) they are definitely worth a run through for pretty much any game and/or horror lover.

4: The Room is a little different in gameplay/story/characterisation, it has a unique feel, I really love it, it didn't impress some people. I think it did the claustrophobia and character's confusion really well.

Origins is the first game made outside of Japan (note the lack of numbered sequels from this point) and where some say the series fell off the map with a slight increase focus on combat and less on the mystery, subtlety and psychology of the town. The plot is set years before the first game, and expands plot elements from there, so if you liked 1, you'll probably enjoy it.

Homecoming can come off as very goofy, it was released after the first movie and suffers a little from having Action Man as the protag with a bit of a loosely put together story and some conflicting elements of this depiction of cults of SH versus the earlier games. IMO most monsters are pretty poorly done and shoved in more for shock effect on the player, than their connection to the emotional and mental elements of the plot. The bosses are pretty good.

Shattered Memories is kind of a retelling or separate universe exploration of the plot of the first game, it's pretty solid. It has a bit more of a focus on psychology and the in-game elements change depending on how you play and what kind of a character you create through your actions, very interesting mechanics.

Downpour, although a step up from Homecoming, is again featuring broody Action Man with a rather loose plot. There is a lot of potential in Downpour and some great moments, really good tension and some awesome monsters, but the split endings kind of messed up the in-game plot a bit and may frustrate you depending on which one you get. "Your choices matter" was a strong theme and some of the endings just didn't take that into account.

If you were madly in love with the look, feel and sound of the original games, at the time, the HD collection was like god descending from heaven... but when he actually got here, he just slapped you in the face as a blessing and snitched fifty bucks for the collection plate. :P That's the best analogy I can give from seeing fan reactions. It was just different in lots of subtle and not-so-subtle ways that many people didn't like, and because hype was through the roof, the backlash was also heightened. Minor bugs became major talking points as a result. For the casual or first timer, the HD collection is completely fine, despite some cleanup issues (some of the fog is gone and the textures that were hidden underneath, which may have looked interesting and mysterious before, can now look goofy and remarkably low quality, especially the water. There are also some changed sounds and music in various rooms, and I think one section is bugged with no sound, and for long-time fans that ruined the atmosphere of the moment).

PT (playable teaser) and Silent Hills (Silent Hill5) are currently dead and buried, but I thought I'd mention them anyway. PT is absolutely incredible, I think there's no way to get it now unless you already had it when it came out, maybe if you have horror buff friends ask if they have it installed on their devices? Otherwise there are a million youtube walkthroughs and Let's Plays to get some of the experience. PT hit the world by storm and I think everyone was over the moon when Hideo Kojima, Guillermo Del Toro and Norman Reedus announced their plans for the series. It was the ultimate dream team with the perfect trailer. There's been a lot of kerfuffle over the futures of Metal Gear and Silent Hill since Kojima has left Konami to form his own company, and SH5 as it was has been cancelled and PT pulled from the online stores. If you can get your hands on PT, do it, it's a must for any fan of the series and something like it may never come again. Konami says it's open to collaborate with Del Toro and Reedus in the future. It won't be the same but something may happen there.

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2015, 12:41:41 PM »
I saw a comparison video for the HD collection and the original of one of the games but it looked like the fog was darker.  Someone I work with is trying to convince me to get the HD collection, because you're basically paying for two games for one price.  I'm getting the games on amazon and they have all the games but I want to make sure I get the better version, not graphics wise but bugs and major differences between the different versions.

I haven't played any of the games, even when they first came out.  I've only seen both movies and the second one sucked by the way.  It seems to me like I should stick with the originals based especially on what prancingstag said.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 12:45:10 PM by Majesty »

Offline Cassie85

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2015, 04:19:42 PM »
The series is amazing. The first game is great, as is 2 and 3. The Room is also good, but different. Origins wasn't bad. Homecoming and Downpour I would skip on.
As for the HD collection, I have it and havent had any issues with it. I'd say its worth a buy.
3ds 4613-8386-9357
AC Town Galifrey

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2015, 04:31:23 PM »
The series is amazing. The first game is great, as is 2 and 3. The Room is also good, but different. Origins wasn't bad. Homecoming and Downpour I would skip on.
As for the HD collection, I have it and havent had any issues with it. I'd say its worth a buy.

Thanks for the info.  But, have you played both the original versions of two and three and the HD versions?  I just wanted to know if you prefer the original to the HD version or visa versa.

Post Merge: December 22, 2015, 05:58:32 PM

As an update I just watched a highly detailed and descriptive side-by-side comparison of the HD collection versus the original of Silent Hill 2 and 3--with a little bit of nitpicking on the side.

I can honestly say I'd rather have the originals.  Sadly, they are pricey.  I picked out two that are nearly $30 each and I tried to at least buy from a third party seller who is fulfilled through amazon but I couldn't get one for Silent Hill 3 that was in reasonable price.  I won't get these now but maybe next week if I can.  I'm still waiting on Silent Hill to come to me.  -_- >_<

I appreciate everyone's help.  :ohyeah:
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 05:59:41 PM by Majesty »

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2015, 09:39:06 PM »
Don't forget: $30 is still only half the price of a brand new game. If I want a game enough and I have the money I can usually justify to myself spending up to $60 (the price of a new game). It sounds ridiculously expensive, but... inflation is what it is. :)

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2015, 02:43:15 AM »
Don't forget: $30 is still only half the price of a brand new game. If I want a game enough and I have the money I can usually justify to myself spending up to $60 (the price of a new game). It sounds ridiculously expensive, but... inflation is what it is. :)

True, but I think PS2 games weren't $60 each when they first game out, but you're right.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal