collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Do you style "authentically"?  (Read 2483 times)

Emerald

• Trade Count: (0)
Do you style "authentically"?
« on: December 15, 2015, 11:16:31 AM »
I've been curling the manes and tails of every pony I have with a longer mane, even if they aren't "supposed" to have curls. I just prefer the look and I don't plan on ever selling, anyway, so it works for me.

I was wondering if anyone else did this, or if I'm committing a cardinal pony sin and will be cast out of the community. ;)

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
Re: Do you style "authentically"?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 11:45:09 AM »
OUT!

Just kidding.  Do what you want.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Yukiru

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 11:46:35 AM »
If you're cardinal sinning, then I might as well be excommunicated too, since I just style my ponies in whatever way is easiest, which for most gens is curls :silly: Though, if I'm able to, I like to get them close to factory default, or at least a manageable default since we all know what factory hair looks like (im talking to you G3 >>), if that makes sense.

Emerald

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 11:49:31 AM »
I only collect G1, but I definitely think G3s look better curly! CURL ALL THE PONIES!

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 12:10:53 PM »
What is authentic?
Ponies have "brushable" hair so that the owner CAN style it how they choose. Then again, I had the perm shop as a kid...*shrug*
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Nefalia

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
    • @ponycrisp on Instagram
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2015, 12:21:01 PM »
I manically spiral curl the Candy Cane Ponies. Other than that, meh. :)

Offline xeevee

• Trade Count: (+159)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://x-eevee.deviantart.com
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2015, 12:33:31 PM »
I suck at curling hair.  I do attempt to get straw curls back into ponies that are supposed to have them, however loose they end up being.  But otherwise it's just however it falls most easily.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 01:28:40 PM by xeevee »

Offline ghouldilocks

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • The Rainbow Stable
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2015, 01:07:58 PM »
What is authentic?
Ponies have "brushable" hair so that the owner CAN style it how they choose. Then again, I had the perm shop as a kid...*shrug*

She means the factory style for the pony's hair - like if the pony had factory ringlets, or if the pony's hair was straight, etc., do you try to stay true to that style when you are fixing up your ponies, or do you just do whatever you please to them.

Obviously, as toys, children would do whatever they please, but as adult collectors, many people prefer to get their hair as close to factory styled as possible for display. I hope that cleared up her question for you.

ISO: ITALIAN PRETTY PARLOR

(formerly known as ClawleenMeowlen)

Emerald

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2015, 01:13:49 PM »
What is authentic?

She means the factory style for the pony's hair - like if the pony had factory ringlets, or if the pony's hair was straight, etc., do you try to stay true to that style when you are fixing up your ponies, or do you just do whatever you please to them.

Obviously, as toys, children would do whatever they please, but as adult collectors, many people prefer to get their hair as close to factory styled as possible for display. I hope that cleared up her question for you.

Thanks for that, ClawleenMeowlen. I thought all of this was implied, but I guess not.

Offline kitkatvintage

• Trade Count: (+353)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • KitKatVintage - My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2015, 01:15:58 PM »
I'm a factory style person, but it really is up to personal preference. ;)

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2015, 01:22:50 PM »
What is authentic?

Thanks for that, ClawleenMeowlen. I thought all of this was implied, but I guess not.

Didn't realize that.

But to me, that's not styling and leaving as-is. Or returning to default if hair isn't already.

And as an adult, I style how I please, just as I did as a kid-- including crimps,curls,braids,etc-- you name it.  (usually its simple around the neck/hoof-- for a gentle curl). but as I mentioned, my answer was a reflection of I've always seen ponies as free to do what you want-- since I had a perm shop.

I collect g4s, and their hair doesn't look great "as-is"... So they have to be styled. And they look cute with ringlets or crimped hair.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 01:24:47 PM by banditpony »

Emerald

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2015, 01:30:43 PM »
I totally agree with the "style how you want" philosophy! I am team CURL ALL THE PONIES, after all!  ;) I do respect collectors who want to keep their ponies looking the way they are "meant" to look, be it based on promotional photos when they were first released or some other official version of that pony's particular look. I just don't want to do that for my personal ponies.

ETA: I meant G1s, honestly. I don't even consider other gens to be MLP because I am a horrible evil purist who refuses to accept anything beyond the first generation. (Cue evil witch cackle.)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 01:32:32 PM by Emerald »

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2015, 01:37:10 PM »
I totally agree with the "style how you want" philosophy! I am team CURL ALL THE PONIES, after all!  ;) I do respect collectors who want to keep their ponies looking the way they are "meant" to look, be it based on promotional photos when they were first released or some other official version of that pony's particular look. I just don't want to do that for my personal ponies.

ETA: I meant G1s, honestly. I don't even consider other gens to be MLP because I am a horrible evil purist who refuses to accept anything beyond the first generation. (Cue evil witch cackle.)

Ah man. That makes me wonder if any pony had promotional art/pictures that were not like the final product. (Similar to ponies who had a different body.... Like, bunny hop)

;) PS I think ponies look great in curls.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2015, 01:42:55 PM »
I curl all the ponies too. Even the boys. They don't have to be tight curls, but I find it makes the hair look shiny and new :D

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2015, 03:26:42 PM »
Toys are meant to be played with, and My Little Ponies were designed to have manes that could be styled. I say do what makes you happy! :)
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal