collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Let's talk languages!  (Read 2498 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Let's talk languages!
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2015, 03:07:28 PM »
I feel the same way with mandarin tones. I can apparently say my flatmate's name correctly, but the tones are so tricky when all together in a sentence. Japanese is easier in this respect, although there are a lot of homophones and contextual implications, especially in classical. Though I love seeing how words came about...like the Japanese word for thunder and lightning, kaminari, was classically written as the roar (nari) of the gods (kami). My biggest issue with speaking, aside from my mind going blank in social encounters under pressure, is wanting to use classical grammar, cos it sounds funkyxD
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline ponycake

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2015, 03:10:40 PM »
I studied German in college and studied in Dresden for a semester. I've been out of it for a few years now but just a few days ago I took to reading German newspapers when work is slow to brush up and in an attempt to become fluent.

I used to know a great deal of Spanish, but after high school I never kept in touch with it at all and 9 years later I've completely forgotten most of it, haven't really had interest in refreshing my memory.

And I'm probably at the equivalent level of having taken one Japanese class (but I'm self taught), but haven't touched it in a while as I focus on only one at a time and German is taking over atm. I'll get back to it at some point.

Check out my art thread here

WTB: US MIB Birthday Pony

Offline HelloGoodbye

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2015, 05:42:52 PM »
I took Spanish in middle school and high school, but with a couple of notable exceptions (2 really great teachers) the instruction ranged from mediocre to bad so I really don't know as much as I should given how long I took it for.  I can get by in basic conversation when I need to, and I'm pretty solid on a lot of vocab, but I wish I knew more.  The fact that I haven't taken it since Junior year of high school and I'm now a Sophomore in college really isn't doing me any favors, either.  Some day I'd like to go back and teach myself because I do miss learning it. 

Right now I'm about to complete Japanese 101 in college and I love it.  My professor is amazing and even though the class is really fast paced I feel like I'm learning a ton.  I already enrolled in 102 for next semester and I cannot wait to get started.  I'm having so much fun and it has reminded me just how interesting learning a language is, especially with a really amazing professor.  I'm determined to practice a lot over winter break so I don't forget stuff, and maybe even start working on what I'm going to learn in 102!  It is so exciting every time I learn a new sentence structure because it feels like I'd really getting somewhere.  My friend is taking it too, so I'm going to see if we can practice together!

Thanks to Nence for my adoptable!

Offline ghouldilocks

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • The Rainbow Stable
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2015, 09:10:29 PM »
I adore languages! I studied French in high school and college for my foreign language requirement, but I'm definitely not fluent! I can read and write pretty well, though it's been ages since I've used it, so I always have to refresh myself on verb conjugation especially.

Would LOVE to learn it more fluently, and would also love to learn Polish and Scots and Irish Gaelic, as that would pretty much cover all the native languages of my ancestral makeup.  ^.^

I started to take Russian as my foreign language in college, but it was only offered as an intensive course (2 semesters worth of material in 1 semester, lol). I was also taking a couple of intensive lab courses that semester, so I ended up having to drop, and started French the following semester instead. I am glad I at least learned the Cyrillic alphabet, though, so I can sort of read Russian now, even if I don't know what most of the words mean. I think Balto-Slavic languages sound so cool and pretty, though, so I'd like to learn more of them.

I had downloaded a bunch of free language-learning apps on my iPad, but the thing went and bricked itself before I got around to trying any of them out. I'm hoping to get an Amazon Fire tablet in the near-ish future, and I hope their app store will have some language-learning ones that I can play around with.

In other language-related geekery, I actually collect translations of Le Petit Prince - so far, I have the original French as well as translations in English, German, Latin, and Russian.

ISO: ITALIAN PRETTY PARLOR

(formerly known as ClawleenMeowlen)

Offline Nefalia

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
    • @ponycrisp on Instagram
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2015, 11:28:01 PM »
I feel the same way with mandarin tones. I can apparently say my flatmate's name correctly, but the tones are so tricky when all together in a sentence. Japanese is easier in this respect, although there are a lot of homophones and contextual implications, especially in classical.

I feel exactly the same about mandarin tones. A friend of mine speaks mandarin and it always sounds lovely and intricate.

S.o.a.r.

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2015, 12:53:42 AM »
I studied English, German, French and Spanish in Elementary School but remember barely nothing of it. In High School, I wanted to study Japanese but it interferred with my English C course so I dropped it. English has always been my favorite language, but I would like to master a third language in the future but what...?

Princess Lala

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2015, 03:19:11 AM »
I'm relearning Svenska, my father's language. Yes, my father is ACTUALLY from Sweden so when I say I'm Scandinavian decent I mean it hardcore LOL! Before he passed on he was teaching me to write and speak the language. It's pretty easy and sounds WAY prettier than German. In fact its a shocker I do not know German! My biological mother actually lives in Laufen, Austria and speaks some weird dialect of German that my Grandma (who is native to Germany but moved to Indiana) makes fun of her for her accent LOL. When they argue its hilarious! xD I have cousins in Norway who speak like 5 northern European languages because they love to travel, they visit MN every year in America! I feel like I sound ugly when I speak English, I feel like an entirely different person when I speak in Swedish- I feel sexier like I was MEANT to be speaking that instead! I also want to learn Norwegian because my family has roots there as well! Norwegian is pretty!

So yeah, for me English primary with Svenska.

My husband on the other hand is IMPRESSIVE with learning languages!!! He is FLUENT in German, omg its sooooo sexy! :dribble: and he speaks Norwegian, Castillian Spanish, and is currently learning Japanese. His family speaks German and English though they are Welsh LOL! I'm trying to teach him Svenska atm!

EDIT: Aaaah Bowtie, I do the SAME thing with Disney movies but in Swedish! xP Helps me not forget plus it reminds me of being with my dad who was a total Disney nut! (Fun fact- he moved to Florida just because of WDW!) You should watch Mulan in Swedish! It's beeeoootiful!  :blush:

I'm reading through all the posts and WOW- so many people are interested in learning Svenska!? It warms my heart! I feel like I'm the only one in my area who knows it. Ringwraith, come over to my place- we can learn more Swedish together! You don't live *too* far away!  :deathhug:
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 04:42:45 AM by Princess Lala »

Offline tikibirds

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2015, 04:00:23 AM »
I can understand spanish enough that if I lived in central america, I would be able to get around fairly well.
 Instead I moved to China where I can't understand a damn thing. Part of my contract was that I would receive Mandarin lessons but that has yet to happen. All I can say is My name is Laura, I am American, English teacher and the numbers 1-10, plus thank you, you are welcome and good bye. My voice is pretty monotone which does not work so well with mandarin...
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 04:05:28 AM by tikibirds »

Follow me in Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/midnight_fox_fire/

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2015, 05:59:07 AM »
I tried to learn French using a free app on my smartphone and I was doing really good practicing it everyday until I got sick. I still use it sometimes but can only understand really basic words and phrases like She/he is eating an orange/apple. She has a red dress. Boy girl etc...

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline SnorkMaiden

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2015, 09:03:01 AM »
Ooohh, there are a lot of people here who learned German at some point. Nice! If anyone would like to practice, let me know. German's my native language.

English is the only foreign language I can confidently claim to be proficient in. I use it all the time, at work as well as with most of my friends. These days, I think and even dream in English more often than in German.

I learned Latin and French in school and Italian at uni, but I'm not great at any of them. I can understand a written text in Italian or French, and I can follow a conversation, but that's about it. Latin is very useful for understanding a multitude of languages, and I'm glad I learned it.

Offline zombienixon

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Pink Pony Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2015, 09:59:23 AM »
The only foreign language classes I took were two Spanish classes in high school, most of which has been forgotten.  I've learned a little bit of German, mostly through listening to music and reading about German history, but not nearly enough to even understand a conversation.  I've also taught myself how to read Russian, although I'm not the best at it since a good bit of Russian is hard to pronounce, and you end up confusing letters with their Latin equivalents. 

If there's any language I want to learn, it would be German.  It would be more useful to me than Spanish, especially considering all of the German companies around here (BMW, ZF, Bosch, etc.) and the amount of business we do with German companies.

Strangely enough, it's the Russian that's come in more handy at work, since a lot of times when we get an order from Russia the send us info we need (like the name of the End User) in Russian.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 10:02:39 AM by zombienixon »

Offline Miniature Sheep

• Crystal Dolphin Warrior
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Barry, you're so optimistic...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2015, 09:18:29 AM »
I've also taught myself how to read Russian, although I'm not the best at it since a good bit of Russian is hard to pronounce, and you end up confusing letters with their Latin equivalents.

Oh yes, that is very relatable. I tried to teach myself Russian a few years ago and was completely stumped by the Cyrillic alphabet (it may be beautiful to look at but dear goodness it is tough to learn!) That said, after that particular encounter, Polish spelling felt like a walk in the park by comparison! XD

Offline Moonbreeze

• Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • G2 nut
    • View Profile
    • My personal site
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2015, 10:09:54 AM »
English was my second language since kindergarten (which was in Singapore) so I speaking and reading was a piece of cake until I had to write :P

German, French and English are mandatory over here for almost every Dutchie (for at least three of for years in Middle School (?))  I took the six year long program for all three and leaned a bit of Spanish afterwards.

Don't know if this counts but I love the fictional languages of the Tolkien universe  :satisfied:

Norwegian or something like Welsh or Old Irish are something I would still like to learn

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2015, 10:10:49 AM »
I have taken classes in:
Spanish
German
French
Japanese
Arabic

Some self-teaching in Mandarin and Russian

If I had the time/money, I would brush up on my Russian, Japanese and Arabic.  But I am likely to be taking Spanish classes next year because there are a lot of Spanish speakers in the area.
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Jocelyn

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2015, 10:33:35 AM »
I am trying to teach myself Japanese, but it's very hard. I want to enroll in a Japanese language course at a college nearby, but I need to build up the courage to swallow that price, lol.  I'm half Japanese, and I want to visit the Japanese side of my family soon and be able to talk with them. My mom is helping me which is great, because I think it's a lot of fun for her...even if I am butchering it!

As a kid I knew the basic a, i, u, e, o, ka, ki, ku, ke, ko, etc...And some potty words, lol. And I thought that would somehow give me some sort of advantage. Noooope! That took me as far as page 7 in my beginner's practice book XD

I do know Spanish, though. It's definitely come in handy because my fiance's family are Puerto Rican. They keep my Spanish in shape!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 10:44:22 AM by Jocelyn »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal