collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: The Good Dinosaur "shouldn't be watched by anyone under the age of 15"  (Read 13618 times)

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: The Good Dinosaur "shouldn't be watched by anyone under the age of 15"
« Reply #75 on: December 29, 2015, 08:34:07 AM »
Well, I remember some Amazon reviews of MLP from 2009 or so that said MLP (G1) is not appropriate for kids because it scared the reviewer's kid, so I think some parents just don't seem to get that their child's reaction is not necessarily universal and different kids/families can handle different things.

Offline BethMcBeth

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • www.BethMcBeth.com
« Reply #76 on: December 29, 2015, 12:20:39 PM »
Wow, there will always be those kind of parents. I think the Good Dinosaur is a great movie. I think it touched on some very important facts of life and death. Showing that no matter what one can grow up strong and survive. Actually if you think about it in those terms that just about covers all Disney and Disney related Movies Pixar or not. ;) 

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #77 on: December 29, 2015, 01:50:38 PM »
I remember that, Elisto!  People who had never shown their kids anything but G3 (which had pretty much no  conflict) were freaking out.

Actual review excerpts:

"The themes are intense and weird, the imagery very scary and really, these stories are NOTHING like the cute little ponies you see in the commercials, where the emphasis is on doing their hair and going to the Pony salon etc."

"I bought this movie for my 4 1/2 year old who loves My Little Ponies thinking it would be as sweet and innocent as the brand. It was scary, violent, and said things like "shut up" which is something I discourage my child from saying. The evil witches were the main characters of the show and the smooze/goo/whatever it was is really scary for my 4 1/2 year old. Even the ponies were whiny and disagreeable and not very loveable."

"I was so upset to see this is movie was not made by the My Little Pony brand. The story was scary and the ponies were in less than half the movie. The ponies had different names some not appropriate. Not for young children who love the kind, pleasant and perky ponies we see with the product line." 

(The product line meaning G3, which was the current product line at the time.)  I'd love to know which pony names were "inappropriate".  Lickety-Split, maybe?  Morning Glory?
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 29, 2015, 05:14:17 PM »
I remember that, Elisto!  People who had never shown their kids anything but G3 (which had pretty much no  conflict) were freaking out.

Actual review excerpts:

"The themes are intense and weird, the imagery very scary and really, these stories are NOTHING like the cute little ponies you see in the commercials, where the emphasis is on doing their hair and going to the Pony salon etc."

"I bought this movie for my 4 1/2 year old who loves My Little Ponies thinking it would be as sweet and innocent as the brand. It was scary, violent, and said things like "shut up" which is something I discourage my child from saying. The evil witches were the main characters of the show and the smooze/goo/whatever it was is really scary for my 4 1/2 year old. Even the ponies were whiny and disagreeable and not very loveable."

"I was so upset to see this is movie was not made by the My Little Pony brand. The story was scary and the ponies were in less than half the movie. The ponies had different names some not appropriate. Not for young children who love the kind, pleasant and perky ponies we see with the product line." 

(The product line meaning G3, which was the current product line at the time.)  I'd love to know which pony names were "inappropriate".  Lickety-Split, maybe?  Morning Glory?

I....wow...that review was just...wow... :pout:
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 29, 2015, 07:28:31 PM »
Actually they were from three different reviews . . . does that make it better or worse? lol

I think my favorite is the one complaining that they aren't spending all their time at the pony salon.   :lmao:

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 29, 2015, 10:06:25 PM »
Here's another one.

"Warning to parents: This DVD has new cover art and carries a release date of 2006 in the Amazon listing, which both lead you to believe that this is one of the new Paramount MLP releases. Be warned that THIS IS NOT THE CASE. This DVD is repackaged versions of two of the original 1980's Sunbow cartoons from the TV series. As a parent, this means that they pre-date the FCC programming standards for children. The content on this DVD is troubling if you care about positive modeling and concepts for your child."

Ponyfan

« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 10:15:46 PM by Ponyfan »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

S.o.a.r.

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #81 on: December 30, 2015, 12:25:10 AM »
Parents are funny btw.. this summer I came into an argument with a father who got angry when his five year old daughter would not be let in to Jurassic World (rated 11 here). I was the mean old (!!!!?) lady who destroyed her summer with not letting her see the dinosaurmovie.. and then there are parents who think an animated kids movie like this should be rated 15. Some times parents do make sense.. but not in cases like these.

Wait in your country they can't even see the movie with their parents? Wow that's pretty strict since the only movies kids can't get into with their parents here are X rated movies that have actual hardcore sexual content.
Here in Sweden, we have kind of strict laws regarding the age rating of movies shown at the cinema. We have;

• All Ages
• Age 7
• Age 11 (7-year-olds are allowed in with adult company)
• Age 15 (You must have turned 15 years old to be admitted despite adult company.)

And we don't have X-rated movies playing at any cinemas...

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #82 on: December 30, 2015, 09:45:41 AM »
Parents are funny btw.. this summer I came into an argument with a father who got angry when his five year old daughter would not be let in to Jurassic World (rated 11 here). I was the mean old (!!!!?) lady who destroyed her summer with not letting her see the dinosaurmovie.. and then there are parents who think an animated kids movie like this should be rated 15. Some times parents do make sense.. but not in cases like these.

Wait in your country they can't even see the movie with their parents? Wow that's pretty strict since the only movies kids can't get into with their parents here are X rated movies that have actual hardcore sexual content.
Here in Sweden, we have kind of strict laws regarding the age rating of movies shown at the cinema. We have;

• All Ages
• Age 7
• Age 15 (You must have turned 15 years old to be admitted despite adult company.)

Rating 7 allow you to be younger with adult company.
at 15 teens must be prepaired to be IDed, even if a parent is present and when you reserve or buy tickets online you must check a box agreeing to those terms before you can move forward.

S.o.a.r.

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #83 on: December 30, 2015, 09:48:45 AM »

• All Ages
• Age 7

at 15 teens must be prepaired to be IDed, even if a parent is present and when you reserve or buy tickets online you must check a box agreeing to those terms before you can move forward.
Right, forgot to mention that children younger than 7 years old can watch Y7 movies with an adult. But I got everything else right, right? :blush:

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: The Good Dinosaur \"shouldn\'t be watched by anyone under the age of 15\"
« Reply #84 on: December 30, 2015, 10:00:24 AM »
Actually they were from three different reviews . . . does that make it better or worse? lol

I think my favorite is the one complaining that they aren't spending all their time at the pony salon.   :lmao:

Ugh. Worse.

Post Merge: December 30, 2015, 10:01:44 AM

Here's another one.

"Warning to parents: This DVD has new cover art and carries a release date of 2006 in the Amazon listing, which both lead you to believe that this is one of the new Paramount MLP releases. Be warned that THIS IS NOT THE CASE. This DVD is repackaged versions of two of the original 1980's Sunbow cartoons from the TV series. As a parent, this means that they pre-date the FCC programming standards for children. The content on this DVD is troubling if you care about positive modeling and concepts for your child."

Ponyfan

I dothly despise Moral Oral types.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 10:01:57 AM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline zombienixon

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Pink Pony Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 30, 2015, 12:42:16 PM »

I don't think G3 got that superficial, except for maybe the Princess Promenade.

I can't imagine what they'd have to say about Rescue at Midnight Castle. Especially when they see something like this.

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #86 on: December 30, 2015, 01:43:23 PM »

• All Ages
• Age 7

Right, forgot to mention that children younger than 7 years old can watch Y7 movies with an adult. But I got everything else right, right? :blush:

Perfectly :)

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 30, 2015, 02:25:42 PM »
I can't imagine what they'd have to say about Rescue at Midnight Castle. Especially when they see something like this.

My favorite.  <3

I think some people seriously think that little girls' brains will melt if they see anything with conflict or action.  (Specifically little girls;  I've RARELY seen shows aimed at little boys that don't have ANY conflict.)  But when I was a little girl I loved action-y shows with danger and adventure.

I tried watching the Strawberry Shortcake show that came out at the same time MLP FIM did (the CGI one) and oh my god it was so boring.  Nothing important was ever at stake and the characters were so bland and too nicey-nice.

Offline zombienixon

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Pink Pony Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 30, 2015, 03:22:26 PM »

My favorite.  <3

I think some people seriously think that little girls' brains will melt if they see anything with conflict or action.  (Specifically little girls;  I've RARELY seen shows aimed at little boys that don't have ANY conflict.)  But when I was a little girl I loved action-y shows with danger and adventure.

I tried watching the Strawberry Shortcake show that came out at the same time MLP FIM did (the CGI one) and oh my god it was so boring.  Nothing important was ever at stake and the characters were so bland and too nicey-nice.

Is it just me, or does it seem to be that the watering down of girls' shows started after the 90s?  I can't really remember seeing many girls' cartoons as a kid, but the ones I do had action and villains (although technically, they were anime).  It's like people who watched 80s cartoons as kids remembered how messed up they could get and did a complete 180.

I did see the new Strawberry Shortcake once.  It reminded me of G3, but without any of the charm.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 01, 2016, 08:02:02 AM »

My favorite.  <3

I know right? People forget that girls love Thundercats, Transformers, Jem and She-Ra. They forget that girls love comic books and videogames and Sailor Moon and Anime. It's really not fair.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal