collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Took the plunge and watched some G1 specials  (Read 9091 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Took the plunge and watched some G1 specials
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2015, 01:15:58 PM »
I dunno, I think Porcina's reactions were spot on.  People are good at ignoring the suffering of others when it's an abstract idea and they don't have to see it directly.

I think the modern day analogy is that people will say anything to people online because they don't see that person's face or reaction, but they might not say it to their face, or if they did, seeing the reaction might make them see it differently. Vaguely off topic but I heard of one program somewhere where criminals were taught empathy with their victims and once they learned how it made the victim feel, they often became quite upset at what they'd done. Porcina just operates on a really complex level for a kid's cartoon. (I dislike US animated Shady though, so this ep isn't big for me).

I have a weird thing with MLP the movie. It played zero part in my childhood, but for some reason when I came online, it (along with Rescue at Midnight Castle) seemed to have some kind of cult status. So I watched it, but I really didn't like the plot. I think Morning Glory is adorable, but I have issues with the characterisation of most of the ponies vis a vis their comic representations, so yeah, I never got to love it. I DO love the smooze song though. I had a student last year who was into G4, and when smooze appeared in FIM, he went and looked up the original. We were talking about it and I said, nothing can stop the smooze, and he grinned at me triumphantly and said, "except the flutter ponies!" (I was so proud of him xD)

My childhood consisted of only the four episodes - Ice Cream Wars which I like to quote the silly accents in and which my mother dreads the name of, having watched it to death when I was six -  as I mentioned, Revolt of Paradise Estate (from which comes my love of Paradise), Sweet Stuff and the Treasure Hunt (which I liked except that the name Sweet Stuff really annoyed me, I kept telling my mother they got it wrong xD) and The Would Be Dragon Slayer. (Weird ep.)

All the others I saw later, so I have a different kind of feel for them. But I would say Somnambula is a great ep. The themes are brilliant, even if the Brother ponies' names jar with me and their accents/vocab is a bit cringy. I like the dark elements in some of the MLP eps.

There probably isn't an ep I *hate* but I find Woe Is Me boring.

My sister always loved Bright Lights best. When she was six or seven we found a VHS with three hours of pony eps on which she had, and she watched it a lot (I saw a lot of the other eps through this too), but Bright Lights was her favourite. (I guess her love of zombies and such kinda began then..with the shadowless ponies of whatever the town is called...)

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Sparkle Pony

• F.O.E. Pony
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • I'm not scrawny, I'm svelte!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2015, 03:42:53 PM »
I dunno, I think Porcina's reactions were spot on.  People are good at ignoring the suffering of others when it's an abstract idea and they don't have to see it directly.
Maybe when being a passive observer with no control over the situation.  Not when you're purposefully pushing the proverbial button to cause the suffering.  It didn't work in Digimon Adventure 02, and it didn't work here.
:shocked:
No, no Fiona.  This is a pony forum not a Digimon forum, keep it together.

On topic though, I do think that Porcina was done pretty well as a villain.  Once people are directly confronted with the consequences of their actions on real people, it suddenly can become a lot harder not to hesitate.  I enjoyed it, plus this episode has the surreal moment of watching ponies work in a sweatshop making clothes out of their own hair.  Oh, the 80s must have been crazy...

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2015, 04:32:28 PM »
Yes. Yes! YES! Y E S!!
Finally more people who are on this
autistic Wind Whistler train!!!

Seriously though I started this whole thing hating her? And I don't understand why...? Because she's literally the best. I think we need to pick a day each year to be Appreciate Wind Whistler Day.
WishlistChecklistSalesPonysonaCommissions

Offline sparkykandy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2015, 05:03:50 PM »
Never grew up with the G1 cartoon, but I do think that it's better than Friendship is Magic in various areas.  That being said and all, count me in the Wind Whistler is one of my favorite characters train.  I also like Heartthrob just because how romancey she is.

As for favorite episode, it's probably "Fugitive Flowers" for me.  I blame Optimus Crab.  :P
Admin of a Cheritz fan forum.

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2015, 05:25:43 PM »
Those crabs.  I actually named them all when I reviewed that episode.  Captain (Optimus) Crab, Second, Stink Eye, Low Rider, and Bob.

And yay for the Wind Whistler love.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2015, 05:58:06 PM »
Never grew up with the G1 cartoon, but I do think that it's better than Friendship is Magic in various areas.  That being said and all, count me in the Wind Whistler is one of my favorite characters train.  I also like Heartthrob just because how romancey she is.

As for favorite episode, it's probably "Fugitive Flowers" for me.  I blame Optimus Crab.  :P

Tee hee. Lobtimus Prime.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Wildshadow

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Favorites of all time? Surprise, Danny and Spike!
    • View Profile
    • https://www.instagram.com/kriticosium/
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2015, 09:25:19 PM »
Of course I'd love The Great Rainbow Caper, my favorite pair are the stars in it! XD "can you tell me what this is over here?!"

Another fave of mine is Spike's Search! Love how they didn't have to rely on showing the ponies all the time and such ^.~ Which Spike makes my duo into a trio! I enjoyed the song him and Weston sings in that episode.

I love the songs in the episodes and LOVE that, well as far as I know, the voice actors also sang their parts instead of getting someone else to sing it, makes the characters feel more real to me. Which makes me sad with FiM getting someone else to sing parts. Also I loved singing as a kid, even though I knew I didn't sound too great, so hearing slight imperfections in the singing in the episodes made it feel right XD Still love trying to mimic each character singing =D

Anyway! I love so many of the episodes I usually say I love them all XD I know most of them by heart =3

Thanks Starscout for the sig and Shaiyeh thanks for the avatar  :heart: Ombyshadow

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2015, 09:40:54 PM »
Yes. Yes! YES! Y E S!!
Finally more people who are on this
autistic Wind Whistler train!!!

Been there a long time ;) although I very much doubt in the 80s it had that connotation, esp since the Aspie diagnosis didn't really exist till the 90s (sort of like the patronising Jem ep about learning to read, in which to me Roxy is clearly dyslexic).

I do not remember any crabs. I guess it shows which eps I remember and which I don't ;) Now I want to watch it though!

I'm pretty sure the voice artists did sing for the ponies. Some of the singing is a bit awful though ;) I also find it ironic that some of the speaking voice artists from Jem sing for MLP - and other things - just fine, but not for Jem...lots of crossovers there!
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Lore-Lei

• Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2015, 11:11:07 PM »

Tee hee. Lobtimus Prime.
Oh God, my stomach. I think I found which episode I'll watch next.

The Revolt of Paradise Estate-Beezen is a crummy villain, but iloved the episode anyway, especially with Baby Cuddles.
Agreed. Watched it yesterday and it was great, if grossly exaggerated with the whole 'Paradise Estate needs renovation' thing.

On a side-note, who thought it was a good idea to give Cheeries Jubilee that voice? It sounds dreadful.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 11:12:48 PM by Lore-Lei »

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2015, 03:05:31 AM »
"BOOM BOOM BOOM"

The condition of Paradise Estate (and it being Paradise's job to fix it) is more in line with Paradise's backcard story that it's an abandoned manor Paradise and North Star run across than the movie's origin story for it (the Moochic conjured it).

They didn't really have a name for it, but people knew the asocial intellectual archtype.  The one who was academically brilliant but inept in social situations.  They just hadn't discovered it was caused by differences in the brain like autism.  So, Aspie Wind Whistler still has some weight.

Have you gotten to through the door where we learn of Heart Throb's...taste?
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Wildshadow

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2015, 05:55:26 AM »
Loved that part with Paradise going "BOOM-A"! Always wanted an animated Livejournal icon of that part when it was on her doing that XD

Aww I love Cherries Jubilee's voice, very different ^.^ OH NO! Now I have the Fresh Coat Of Paint song in my head D= I'll have to listen to it again XD have to sing all the songs!

Thanks Starscout for the sig and Shaiyeh thanks for the avatar  :heart: Ombyshadow

Offline Lore-Lei

• Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2015, 07:07:25 AM »
"BOOM BOOM BOOM"

The condition of Paradise Estate (and it being Paradise's job to fix it) is more in line with Paradise's backcard story that it's an abandoned manor Paradise and North Star run across than the movie's origin story for it (the Moochic conjured it).

Yeah, that sounds a lot better to me as well. As for Through the Door, no, not yet.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2015, 08:00:53 AM »
"BOOM BOOM BOOM"

They didn't really have a name for it, but people knew the asocial intellectual archtype.  The one who was academically brilliant but inept in social situations.  They just hadn't discovered it was caused by differences in the brain like autism.  So, Aspie Wind Whistler still has some weight.

I have always hated Through the Door, its personally one of my least favorite episodes.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Wildshadow

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2015, 08:43:34 AM »
When I first saw Discord I automatically thought of the dragon that was the monster they where afraid of in  Through The Door.

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2015, 11:23:46 AM »
I have always hated Through the Door, its personally one of my least favorite episodes.
It's a bad car accident.  It's terrible.  It's horrific.  However, it's so terrible and horrific you can't help but watch this spectacle of awful writing.  You can't believe it's that bad.  You can't believe they really go there.  You have to see it for yourself.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal