collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: OH my, facebook  (Read 7354 times)

Offline MoondancerMilkyWay

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • you've got to pony while the pony is pony!
    • View Profile
Re: OH my, facebook
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2015, 11:22:31 AM »
My dog has her own account. I go by an alias...I guess it really depends on if someone reports you or not?
~I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more ponies! I gotta have more ponies!~
"I'm not going to buy every Malibu Stacy with a hat"  - ponyqueen

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2015, 04:11:38 PM »
Not sure if it's being reported that does it. I never posted inappropriate images or said super offensive-inappropriate things. I'm still blocked out. :o(

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline xeevee

• Trade Count: (+159)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://x-eevee.deviantart.com
« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2015, 03:01:40 AM »
No, I don't think so.  I think they're just slowing going through all the accounts and if the name looks fake they're contacting you.  If you have a fake name like Alice Smith just as an example, they'd probably leave you alone.  All the fake names I've seen who have had to change have been things like Mlp Forme, Mustbe Jewell, Pixi Dixi, Mylittlepony FanWorld.  All very obvious fake names. 

It's also been very slow.  The first person on my list who had to change their name it happened to at least a year ago.  There are a lot of accounts they check.  And now that you've been noticed, they are going to check what you do very closely.  So I am not sure Photoshopping anything will count.  Facebook aren't dumb.

They only thing I would suggest is start a new account with a normal sounding fake name attached to an email that you haven't used.  She how that goes.

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2015, 01:21:51 PM »
Being reported definitely is part of it. Trans people have normal names but still get locked out of their account and asked to prove it. The reporting is most likely done by a family member.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Barnacle is my first mate!
    • View Profile
    • Video Games as Literature
« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2015, 02:23:32 PM »
Being reported definitely is part of it. Trans people have normal names but still get locked out of their account and asked to prove it. The reporting is most likely done by a family member.
What are they reporting, though? Is there some McCarthyist link to click on to report your friends and family members for having the "wrong" name? I just don't understand how or why people would report such a thing...

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2015, 03:00:12 PM »
I had no family members on my account at all. Oh well, I was too obvious, LOL. Come on that name was French!! I've caved and the regular account is getting pony peeps added in. I'm going to go a bit crazy for awhile (not knowing who anyone is on the arena that I've added), but it'll be OK. (Like I do not think I will add in 200 more friends on top of the already existing real life friends/familiy on there.)
Sooooooooo if in fact you want to be my friend and are not a spambot droid out to eat my cheese (I've already added in people that I could remember some may be you already!) you are more than welcome to pm me and I'll send you my FB info. Smiles all around.

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2015, 03:47:40 PM »
Sorry, I was more or less talking specifically about family members of transfolks.

But yes, anyone can report your profile for a number of things. When you go to the [...] button on the upper right hand side and click 'report' it gives you these choices-

What's wrong with this account?
This person is annoying
This timeline is pretending to be me or someone I know
This timeline is full of inappropriate content
This is a fake account
This profile represents a business or organization
This timeline is using a fake name
This profile is underage and should not be on Facebook

And it doesn't have to be someone even on your friends list. The option of reporting is public.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 29, 2015, 08:52:26 AM »
I've read this has also been an issue for Native American/First Nations people who's real names include colors or animal names and FB's algorithms pick them up as fake. My understanding is that FB does have some kind of software for identifying potentially fake names, so it's probably a mix of that and others reporting accounts.

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Barnacle is my first mate!
    • View Profile
    • Video Games as Literature
« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2015, 10:48:15 AM »
Facebook just shouldn't be doing this. People should be allowed to call themselves whatever they want. This whole situation sounds like Facebook is trying to collect all the personal information that they can so that when they take over the world and make us all their Matrix-like slaves they have what they need for their evil plot.

Of course, I'm semi-serious (I'm all serious on the privacy invasion issue) but no one ever listens to me...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal