collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Need rehair help in hard plastic ponies  (Read 896 times)

Offline Sapphire-Light

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • http://sapphire-light.deviantart.com/
Need rehair help in hard plastic ponies
« on: November 16, 2015, 05:14:09 PM »
I'm looking for advice on rehearing two G3 ponies that have chopped mane and tails

Is January Carnation and Starflower, the problem is that the plastic on them is very hard like the ones in G4zillas, but I can only use the needle and tread method for rehair, however the pony's plastic is so hard the needle can't get inside the hair plugs

You see I live in central america and can't use the tool and glue gun method because the only glue guns sold here are ones that use a very sticky/messy silicone type of glue that can't be used for ponies and I can't buy another type of glue gun online because the glue bars used for them will fall into the banned items at customs

So I can only use a rehair method that doesn't use glue and I could tie knots inside of the pony

Offline Roogna

• Trade Count: (+594)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://roogna.deviantart.com
Re: Need rehair help in hard plastic ponies
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 05:31:05 PM »
you need a tool to widen the plugs. I've used big safety pins. I've seen other people use big push pins. Something metal, pointy, and straight that will stand up to you pushing it through.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

DeviantArt Etsy

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2015, 06:09:16 PM »
What I do is make hair plugs using the knot method and then I use a push pin to widen the hole and thread a loop of fishing line through to pull the hair plug through.  Most customizing websites say you should use wire to pull it through but I've found that wire breaks way more often than fishing line (plus where I live fishing line is cheaper).  Once the pony has a new head of hair I use a paintbrush to brush some white glue (I use mod podge brand but I think any clear drying glue would work) inside along the hair plugs to keep them from unraveling and help hold them in place.  By using the paint brush you generally don't get so much glue that it drips out of the hair holes.

You have to remove the head, but the G3 heads generally come off pretty easily.  So far that method has worked on G1, G3, G3.5, and G4.  I haven't tried it on G2, but I think it would work for those as well. 

Offline Sapphire-Light

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 02:48:59 PM »
Thanks for the help, I'm not sure if I'm able to get fishing line because hobby or sport fishing is very rare here, and I don't live near a coast or lake, however I use dental floss instead of thread for sewing

As for making the hair plugs bigger, do I need to soften the pony first wit hot water? since one time I tried to make wider hair plugs on a 4-Speed wit a small utility knife but the entire  hair plug line opened (in both sides) so it was like in Barbie horses and I had to use super glue when I finished

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 08:06:56 PM »
I've never had to soften them, but if you want to I don't think it would hurt anything.  I usually let the pin sit for a few seconds just to give the hole time to stretch.  Once you remove the pin the hole will usually shrink back to its original size after a couple of minutes.  If you don't have a push pin or a safety pin, a small nail would probably work.  You don't want something so big that it will stretch the hole too much or it will tear. Dental floss should work the same as fishing line. 

Offline daisyd

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Daisy's Crazy Crafts
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2015, 10:04:51 AM »
If the plastic is really hard, then a short soak in hot water will be very helpful.

As far as widening the hair plug holes, I use needles when I rehair, so if the hole is too small, I just push the needle in and out of the hole a couple of times to widen it a little. It nearly always works  :)
Thank you *wyvernchick* for my lovely avvie!

Offline gemini_pony

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • <3 Pony Time!! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2015, 01:54:24 PM »
Thanks for the help, I'm not sure if I'm able to get fishing line because hobby or sport fishing is very rare here, and I don't live near a coast or lake, however I use dental floss instead of thread for sewing

As for making the hair plugs bigger, do I need to soften the pony first wit hot water? since one time I tried to make wider hair plugs on a 4-Speed wit a small utility knife but the entire  hair plug line opened (in both sides) so it was like in Barbie horses and I had to use super glue when I finished

I use floss instead of fishing line works just as well.

Offline Sapphire-Light

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2015, 07:37:27 PM »
Thanks for the help , I just got some push pins so I will experiment first wit Starflower because she's not a rare pony like January Carnation, lol  :P

I'm going to give them alt rehair colors

Offline Sapphire-Light

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2015, 11:53:59 AM »
Bad news, i tried to take Starflower's hair, I used first boiling water to try to soft her but the plastic is so incredible hard that I was only able to take the off tail and the green section of her mane

I used long nose pliers but it was impossible for me to take the purple and the pink sections of the mane because the plastic is so stiff (even wit the boiling water) that I wasn't  able to pull the glue from the inside of the head using the pliers   :cry:

I think the only solution would be to cut the rest of the mane wit shears and from the above glue a yarn like material  over the hair plugs :shrug:

Offline daisyd

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Daisy's Crazy Crafts
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2015, 04:44:56 PM »
Maybe try dissolving the glue with some acetone? Pour a little inside the head and rub it into the gluey ends of the hair with something like a toothbrush (if you can find one that fits inside the head).
Thank you *wyvernchick* for my lovely avvie!

Offline Sapphire-Light

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2015, 07:50:55 PM »
Maybe try dissolving the glue with some acetone? Pour a little inside the head and rub it into the gluey ends of the hair with something like a toothbrush (if you can find one that fits inside the head).

Would nail polish works too?
Another problem is that the pony's pose has the neck twisted and I can't reach the first hairplugs at the top of the head wit the long nose pliers  :(

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal