collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Starlight and Melody...Rehair or Not? PC?  (Read 652 times)

Offline Whippycorn

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
Starlight and Melody...Rehair or Not? PC?
« on: November 08, 2015, 02:44:48 AM »
I've got a Tales Starlight and a Great Skates Melody with haircuts and I'm trying to decide if I should rehair them. I'd love the community's input.  :)

Melody has a tail and mane trim and a forelock cut. She might not look too bad once she's styled.

Starlight is worse, she has a mohawk and only about 2 inches of tail. She's the one I'm most tempted to rehair... ^^;

Anyway, I was wondering whether I should just sell them as is (how much are they worth with haircuts?) or rehair one or both? They're in pretty good condition otherwise!

**** ARENA SALES ****

**** EBAY SALES ****

Offline Eternia

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • MOC Mimic
  • The girliest
    • View Profile
    • Oat Couture
Re: Starlight and Melody...Rehair or Not? PC?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 08:33:17 AM »
They are your ponies,  do with them as you please. Whatever is going to make you happiest.
My Wantlist! Connect with me! Facebook Tumblr Flickr Instagram=oatcouturepony & charmingplastics
No girly swap this year!

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 09:08:41 AM »
If you're planning on selling them, it seems that it's usually better to sell without rehairing if it's just a trim. For more serious cuts, like your Starlight, I don't know...it probably depends on how sough-after or rare the pony is and just what the haircut looks like and if you can find a buyer (I've seen some cuts that actually looked kind of cute, but not everyone would agree).

If you're planning on keeping them, then yeah, whatever you like.

PuddingPie

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2015, 09:14:22 AM »
yeah, generally if you plan to sell them (or if you think you might want to later) it's best to keep them with the original hair. the value goes down a lot when they're rehaired.

personally i keep mine with the expectation that someday i'll fall out of love with Ponies and will want to sell them, so  no matter how bad the haircut i keep them as is. but if you're going to keep them for yourself, your children, someone else's children, etc., go right on ahead doing whatever you feel is right!

Offline Whippycorn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2015, 11:18:05 AM »
Thanks for input :)

For more serious cuts, like your Starlight, I don't know...it probably depends on how sough-after or rare the pony is and just what the haircut looks like and if you can find a buyer (I've seen some cuts that actually looked kind of cute, but not everyone would agree)

Yeah I agree, In fact I'm currently selling a Posey with a bob cut, which I think suits her  ^.^ (and no way will I ever remove still pink hair from a pony!  :blink:)

But Starlight's cut really is short and not cute, poor girl!

I don't plan on keeping these two (I wanted another pony from the lot) so I guess I should just clean them up and let their forever owner decide about the hair.
**** ARENA SALES ****

**** EBAY SALES ****

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2015, 12:23:34 PM »
That's what I would do if I were going to sell. I admit, I don't know what the value would be either way, but even if you did a really fantastic alternate-color-rehair, which seems to often add value, to me the increase in price is rarely worth the time and effort needed to actually do the work of rehairing. But maybe that's just me.

Offline Whippycorn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2015, 12:40:49 PM »
No, you're probably right Elisto. Especially as it normally takes me several hours to do a full rehair!
**** ARENA SALES ****

**** EBAY SALES ****

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2015, 02:28:39 PM »
I personally don't see why people get weird about rehairing anyways. As long as the seller mentions it, what's the issue?  I mean people pay for alt-hairs and not everyone feels confident in restoring. They're your ponies, if you wanna make  your girls beautiful again, go for it!
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Whippycorn

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2015, 03:18:18 AM »
Yeah, thanks, I'm not normally concerned about rehairing common ponies but I'd never dare rehair an expensive nirvana. I think maybe these two are a bit hard to find so in a funny grey area for me! :huh: Oh, the responsibility!  :P
**** ARENA SALES ****

**** EBAY SALES ****

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2015, 06:14:30 AM »
I personally don't see why people get weird about rehairing anyways. As long as the seller mentions it, what's the issue?  I mean people pay for alt-hairs and not everyone feels confident in restoring. They're your ponies, if you wanna make  your girls beautiful again, go for it!

Because you can't count on a seller to mention a rehair.  They may not know if they didn't do the work themselves.  They may forget they did it.  Or they may just be plain unscrupulous and lie about it.  Regardless, there are a lot of buyers who refuse to accept ponies with rehairs.  I'm one of them.  If I bought a rehair that was presented as original and I found out about it later, I'd be furious.  It ISN'T a big deal if a seller states a pony has been rehaired because you can just not buy it, but you just can't count on that all the time. 

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2015, 07:27:17 AM »
How short is Melody's tail?  Those ponies came with very short tails, so that they wouldn't get tangled with the wheels of their skates.  So depending on the length it might not have been cut.

Here's a picture of Hip Hop off My Little Wiki to give you an idea.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 07:30:30 AM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Whippycorn

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2015, 08:14:42 AM »
That's interesting Lady Moondancer, I didn't know that! Her tail looks slightly shorter than the one on your HipHop, so I think it has been trimmed but not as much as I thought! :)

I have decided I will just let them be, and stick to only rehairing common ponies with buzzcuts.  :lol:

p.s. My rehairs are always marked  ;)
**** ARENA SALES ****

**** EBAY SALES ****

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2015, 02:21:02 PM »

Because you can't count on a seller to mention a rehair.  They may not know if they didn't do the work themselves.  They may forget they did it.  Or they may just be plain unscrupulous and lie about it.  Regardless, there are a lot of buyers who refuse to accept ponies with rehairs.  I'm one of them.  If I bought a rehair that was presented as original and I found out about it later, I'd be furious.  It ISN'T a big deal if a seller states a pony has been rehaired because you can just not buy it, but you just can't count on that all the time. 

Truth!

I do agree they are your ponies so you should do as you with with them but the fact that you mark them up as rehairs is very much the key :) Its so sad we have to think about this factor when weighing up rehairing.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal