collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: simple restoration advice, please?  (Read 318 times)

Offline C-Puff

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Fancy Pants Baby
    • View Profile
simple restoration advice, please?
« on: November 07, 2015, 02:15:43 PM »
Hey guys, I was just wondering if anyone here has any advice on how to restore the colours on baby Meadowsweet's mane and tail? The one I have still has her colours but quite faded and I'd like to know if I can spruce them up a little bit?

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Also, I have a Rosedust I bought at Comic Con this year with hair bleached all the way to white. I don't live in America so I don't have access to Rit Dye. I read somewhere someone used watercolour paint to repink some hair but I think this would wash out after a wash or so, wouldn't it? Is it possible to use red ink that's been watered down? Or is that a very bad idea?

Lastly, Everyone says that boiling water is a good way to help straighten slight frizz in pony hair but I'm really really scared of doing this as I'm afraid it might damage my poor ponies further. Does anyone have any tips on how to do this properly without destroying my poor ponies? I don't even have a test pony to try it out on. XD;; I love all my ponies too much.

Please let me know if anyone can help. Thanks guys!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 02:17:46 PM by C-Puff »

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
Re: simple restoration advice, please?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 03:13:40 PM »
For your pinking - you can buy good fabric dyes over here - stores like The Range, Hobby Craft and any local haberdashery will have them. As there is a selection of brands (including Rit in some stores) you will need to test out colours to get the shade you want. Remember that the original colour is a true bright light pink. You can also use watercolours (thats what I prefer) - you should never have to wash a ponies hair again so it does not matter that it fades out with more washing.

As for Meadowsweet unfortunately there isnt anything you can do to restore her colour as it has faded. All you can do is dye the colour back. Unfortunately due to her gradient that is going to be very difficult without affecting the rest of her hair. So its very much a judgement call.

Boiling pony hair is simple - get a big bowl of boiling water (be careful :)) and dip your pony's hair into it. It simply helps loosen the nylon and it will slide out of tangles. Its best used for detangling (or hair which is a riot due to having been in curls and waves). For removing frizz, a straightener used on a medium heat for short bursts when the hair is wet and full of conditioner is a better bet. 
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline C-Puff

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Fancy Pants Baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2015, 06:48:26 AM »
Thanks for the advice X3
The problem is the part of South Africa I live is extremely dusty. We have tourists who make fun of us for how often we clean our houses but it's because of the dust XD so my ponies will probably need to be washed once a year or so or they'll fall back into terrible condition just from standing on a shelf like they did last time. This is why I'm worried about watercolour paint just washing out.

Hmm, yeah. I don't know if I trust my skills enough to try and recolour Baby Meadowsweet's hair. I though that might be the case, but if you say it's difficult maybe I should not try it. I might damage her hair or make it a uniform colour by accident.

Ah and thanks so much for the advice on the boiling water! :D that really helps me out a lot! I'm scared of the straight-iron, but I didn't know I could leave conditioner in. That already makes me feel better about it.

Thanks for all your advice and, as always, you patience with me 8D;;

Offline Sapphire-Light

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • http://sapphire-light.deviantart.com/
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2015, 08:11:11 AM »
hmm.. I have Baby Berrytown but her color in the hair is not hard like the normal coloured ponies, I'm not sure but I think is meant to be  that way because the original hair color is white wit an added dyed

Anyways you can make an easy and cheap hair dye using hot water and kook-aid, I suppose you can find that one in South Africa

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2015, 10:55:36 AM »
You should still not have to actually wash your ponies too often :) A baby wipe is enough to ensure their bodies remain clean and the best thing you can buy for keeping pony hair clean (assuming its been washed in the past) is an air duster. A can of compressed air - the same stuff you use to clean a key board is the perfct took for getting dust out of pony hair :)
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal