collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: The saddest Nirvana pony  (Read 1300 times)

Offline C-Puff

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Fancy Pants Baby
    • View Profile
The saddest Nirvana pony
« on: November 05, 2015, 09:24:20 AM »
So here's a slight story. I've known for many years about ponies unique to other countries (although I was not familiar with the term "Nirvana" before) but I was never aware that South Africa (my home country) had our own unique ponies. The only ones I ever got my hands on were the 'international release' ponies I guess I could call them.

So, a few years later when I was in my early 20s my mom got me 2 ponies (I think, it my have been just this one) from someone. It ended up being a Starshine which was a South African Nirvana pony, but at the time I had no idea what those were so I was extremely confused by her. At first I thought she was a fakie (although I didn't know of many fakies that were direct copies of specific characters) but she has the proper markings under her hooves for Hasbro so I was very confused. I kept her, not sure what to make of her.

So, about a week ago I learned that she's actually a Nirvana pony and, apparently, would probably be worth something.... if it wasn't for the fact that whoever owned her before me must have been one of the roughest children I've ever heard of as she is EXTREMELY damaged in multiple ways.

He hair is severely cut and I can only assume the child hated green because her green streak in her mane looks as if it had been ripped off. The hairplug holes have been completely cut So that even if I had the means to rehair her, I can't. There are highlighter stains on her one side, her one ear has chew marks, there's some scuffing on her face where the plastic has become shiny or in some cases cut into (as if with a kitchen knife) and she has various spots that look like paint spots on her.

Her head also turns but I'm not sure if this is due to her head being removed at some point or if this is just a common thing with SA ponies.

I don't think I will ever sell her, but I was curious what happens to a rare pony's value when it's this badly mangled. Does anyone have any idea what she'd be worth in this sorry state?

Like I said, I don't think I'll sell her. If only because I have a soft spot for abused ponies.
It's just sad that the surprisingly rarest pony I owned is in the worst condition of my collection 8'D

These were taken after a clean.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 09:36:40 AM by C-Puff »

Offline Juliepants

• Crazy Pony Lady
  • Trade Count: (+21)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
Re: The saddest Nirvana pony
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 09:29:57 AM »
I can't help with price I'm afraid, but poor beautiful girl, she just needs a hug!!

Jules x

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 11:21:43 AM »
*hugs for starshine*

I think the opposite :P I think her owner loved her very much to make those changes to her. It shows she was played with a lot and therefore loved :heart:

I have South African Sunlight and her yellow stripe is missing. I think it was not rooted in place very well so it has come out. I think the same is true for your Starshine ^.^ The plastic is quite hard too, so if the plugs were close together, it would look like a tear, my pony is exactly the same.

The SA ponies have loose heads and you can carefully take them off, so again it is nothing untoward :)

You could use a tiny bit of nail polish remover on her random paint marks to see if it will remove them :)

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline C-Puff

• Fancy Pants Baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 11:29:21 AM »
Ah I see! Yes that makes sense for her green streak then. The rip is very clean and she is also made of quite hard plastic. And good to know about the head, thank you  :D I was thinking that might be the case but wanted to be sure and not just presume.

X3 That's also probably very true too. I would like to think she was very played with. Sometimes I forget that damage can mean a pony was cared about very much ^^; but it's very true. That makes me feel much better for the poor thing.

would the nail polish remover damage the plastic in any way or bleach/yellow her? I'm always worried about my own abilities to care of things.

thanks guys!
(let me know if anyone could guess at a price. I'm super curious XD)

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2015, 12:31:46 PM »
If you use the clear or light coloured kind of nail polish remover it shouldn't leave a mark. You can always try a tiny spot under her hoof ^.^ before you try it on her marks :) There is no harm in leaving the marks alone if you don't want to risk removing them :)

I think between $500-800 for her :)

Love pkw xxx

Offline ladygodiva

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2015, 03:07:53 PM »
With good rehair will be suffice
Congrats!sure you can repair! :)

Offline C-Puff

• Fancy Pants Baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2015, 07:37:28 AM »
Thanks so much guys! X3 I have never rehaired a pony before but when I visit the states again I'll buy some nylon and try to rehair her as best I can since her head already moves and should be easier to remove than the other ponies. (I once damaged one of my ponies trying to remove her head and now I'm paranoid).

Her hair is made from some really strange nylon. It's not shiny and soft like a normal pony's. It's more like hair you'd find on a cheap babydoll that's been dyed or something 8D;; but if I rehair her I think I'll use the nice Saran hair instead.

I'll try nail-varnish remover on the bottom of a hoof first, I think. Just to be safe :) i think there's a mark there I can test it on. Luckily none of the spots are close to her symbol or eyes so they'll be safe.

And thanks for the estimate Pinkkittywinks! I'm surprised even in this conditon she'd be considered worth so much! I was think she'd get knocked from thousands down to maybe $20 if I was lucky 8D;;

My mom goes to a lot of Hospice and SPCA charity shops, so I've educated her on how to spot a Nirvana pony from here. Just in case she ever strikes lucky again ;)

Offline shelti

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+1687)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2015, 07:51:20 AM »
Very nice that you have kept her without knowing what she was, she is in rough shape for sure.
 pinkkittywinks, how many starshines have we seen now, 4-5?
I think the South African Parasol I had is still OOAK.
Shel-t* Ponies

Offline lunar_scythe

• factory error Blue Belle
  • Gold Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+84)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2015, 08:54:51 AM »
just remember to keep the nail polish remover away from any paint you want left on, and acetone is the kind you want, non-acetone ones smear the marks all over.
My Army of Bluebelles (New pic coming sooner or later)

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2015, 07:10:20 AM »
Very nice that you have kept her without knowing what she was, she is in rough shape for sure.
 pinkkittywinks, how many starshines have we seen now, 4-5?
I think the South African Parasol I had is still OOAK.

I do believe that Parasol is still OOAK, we've not even seen a "complete" Parasol either.

I think there are now at least five Starsines and as many or more Seashells ^.^

Love pkw xxx

Offline C-Puff

• Fancy Pants Baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2015, 09:16:38 AM »
Ah, thanks Lunar_Scythe. :D I'll make sure to use the right type (We sadly don't have this iraculous product "goof off" that I've heard of. I found an import place that sells magic erasers though :D I'll have to save up for them.)

Interesting! 8D If I see any Nirvana ponies on our local site I'll let you guys know! Even if she's too expensive for me. I enjoy tracking down HTF things far too much X'D even if I'm broke most of the time.

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2015, 01:55:28 PM »
The magic erasers might just work on her marks :) if not I don't think they are too distracting ^.^

just remember to keep the nail polish remover away from any paint you want left on, and acetone is the kind you want, non-acetone ones smear the marks all over.

That's a good point! Good job you mentioned it :bigups:

Love pkw xxx

Offline LadyGuinevere

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+99)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
    • Princesses with Dragons Accessory Survey
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2015, 01:53:23 PM »
Oh yes, she is definitely rare enough that she wouldn't drop that much :) I'd actually be inclined to leave her hair as it is - if you do a partial it will be difficult to match, and it does look like the plugs aren't in great shape which will hinder it as well.

Visit my Princesses with Dragons Accessory Website
Thanks to SDS for my gorgeous avvie!

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2015, 05:34:27 AM »
I agree with LadyG's comment about leaving her hair as it is ^.^

Love pkw xxx

Offline cyberfluf

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2015, 12:45:01 PM »
Normally I am all for restoring to former glory, but with a pony as rare as this one I would leave her as is. Especially because the type of hair is so very different and hard to match, and the holes for the plugs aren't in the best shape either. Congrats on such a beautiful piece in your collection :)
If you have G1 MLP fabric for sale please drop me a line (large quantity even better ;-))

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal