collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Any tea experts out there? :)  (Read 1061 times)

Offline The Little White Horse

• Trade Count: (+52)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
Any tea experts out there? :)
« on: October 28, 2015, 04:08:04 PM »
Hi all! :)

So I know it's a bit early, but I'm already hunting for gifts for my fiancé. I'm on a fairly tight budget this year so it's best to get a head start.  ^.^

Earlier today he confessed that he loved tea but never bought any from the shops because he doesn't like the ones in packet. (Not sure if I'm making myself clear). So I thought, why not get him some from a tea shop that sells really good tea? Sure, except that I have no idea what to get.

So really my question is, what would you guys recommend? What are your favourite teas?  ^.^

Thanks for any help!  :biggrin:

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
Re: Any tea experts out there? :)
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 06:03:24 PM »
Oh, man. That's tricky because everyone has different tastes. I know I'm insanely picky about the teas I like. My favorite right now is a korean roasted corn tea.

Can you get a tea sampler/assortment? Like something that includes all sorts of different teas to try so he can pick his own favorite. My tea shop has something like that.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Kiwi

• Hippity Hoppity Site Admin
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • ~ Squeewi ~
    • View Profile
    • Kiwi's Paradise
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 06:13:05 PM »
I would recommend a sampler pack - gives lots of variety to try.

Might help to know where you are, or what stores you have nearby, to give specific teas (there is a DavidsTea thread already in OT).
 Kiwi ref sheet :bunny: *BUNNIES* :bunny: Avatar: Thank you SDS!

Offline Honeycomb

• Looking for BB brushes and bandannas!
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+137)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Wanted: MIB FT Baby Tic Tac Toe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 06:37:29 PM »
I only like non-flavored teas nowadays. Pure green tea.
Does he like those?

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 07:00:01 PM »
Oh, man. That's tricky because everyone has different tastes. I know I'm insanely picky about the teas I like. My favorite right now is a korean roasted corn tea.

Can you get a tea sampler/assortment? Like something that includes all sorts of different teas to try so he can pick his own favorite. My tea shop has something like that.

I was thinking about that, but I don't have any shops in my town that do that. Is there anywhere online that allows that?

I know that he likes green tea, black tea, and orange flavours.

I would recommend a sampler pack - gives lots of variety to try.

Might help to know where you are, or what stores you have nearby, to give specific teas (there is a DavidsTea thread already in OT).

I should have mentioned that, I'm in France. :)

I only like non-flavored teas nowadays. Pure green tea.
Does he like those?

Yeah he loves green tea. :)

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Barnacle is my first mate!
    • View Profile
    • Video Games as Literature
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 07:13:37 PM »
Ah, I guess I'm not a tea expert since I usually drink it from the little packets. And I think tea shops are often independently owned (there really aren't any around here where I live -- just lots of coffee shops!).

I can say that my favorite brands are Tazo and Stash. I wonder if either of them are sold loose...?

Offline Kitkumi

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • My life is my story.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2015, 07:26:25 PM »
In my own tea escapades earlier last week, asking for advice and everything, I ran across an online store named Adagio Teas and they are the most amazing place I have ever seen. They do this cool thing where they do 'fandom tea blends' for pretty much EVERY fandom known to man, plus they have a wide selection of basic teas. I can't explain it at all, but I really suggest checking it out. The prices I thought were pretty good (we got a lot of neat sample teas for not a lot of money) and I've liked everything I've tried so far (the fandom blends break down what is in them so I could pick and choose based on what I knew of my likes). The only thing is I don't know if they would ship to France.

Thanks to Moonflower and Amenoo for my avi/sig

Offline Honeycomb

• Looking for BB brushes and bandannas!
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+137)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Wanted: MIB FT Baby Tic Tac Toe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2015, 07:41:09 PM »
You might then want to try out some small Asian tea shops selling loose leaf green tea. Not sure your town or city has those. Or order online (for example from China, lol).

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2015, 01:48:49 AM »
Peoples taste in tea is so varied, I can suggest any flavour I like and your fiance might hate them all. Which is why I would also suggest sample packs. But if that's not an option.. how about next town over? Maybe if you google there might be a french or european site that sells tea?

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2015, 02:43:17 AM »

I was thinking about that, but I don't have any shops in my town that do that. Is there anywhere online that allows that?

I know that he likes green tea, black tea, and orange flavours.

:) yes! Try online if you can't find in stores. I really think a sampler pack is perfect for this gift.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2015, 11:11:53 AM »
Davids Tea does do seasonal samplers--and will ship out if you are interested.  Though, the teas are usually flavoured and if he likes straight teas it may not be an option.

I would suggest trying to pry his mind a bit.  See what kind of tea he likes.  Falvoured or non? Black, white, green, rooibos? Matcha? Herbal?

Loose leaf over packeted is just the tip of the iceburg <3

ETA: Somehow I missed one of your posts.  Earl grey is black tea with an orang-ish flavor...but you either love or hate it (to me its peppery but others swear by it)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 11:13:39 AM by melodys_angel »

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline Cutekitten

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2015, 11:20:57 AM »
You can also try Kusmi tea, it's an online store and it's available in France. I also agree with what everyone says about getting a sampler. Maybe you can even get a tea infuser as well.

Offline Sumire

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2015, 11:22:21 AM »
My favorite tea brand is from France, it's called Mariage Frères. Their teas are amazing! Another French brand I like is Kusmi Tea. I've bought loose leaf tea from both places. Kusmi has the most adorable stacked tea tins if you buy a sampler of their teas.
If wishes were horses, they'd be My Little Ponies.
Thanks to moonflower for my adorable adoptable!

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2015, 08:32:48 PM »
I just try whatever looks interesting.....

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2015, 06:40:15 AM »
Ah, I guess I'm not a tea expert since I usually drink it from the little packets. And I think tea shops are often independently owned (there really aren't any around here where I live -- just lots of coffee shops!).

I can say that my favorite brands are Tazo and Stash. I wonder if either of them are sold loose...?

I actually haven't heard of either of those brands, but I'll have a hunt next time I'm out.

In my own tea escapades earlier last week, asking for advice and everything, I ran across an online store named Adagio Teas and they are the most amazing place I have ever seen. They do this cool thing where they do 'fandom tea blends' for pretty much EVERY fandom known to man, plus they have a wide selection of basic teas. I can't explain it at all, but I really suggest checking it out. The prices I thought were pretty good (we got a lot of neat sample teas for not a lot of money) and I've liked everything I've tried so far (the fandom blends break down what is in them so I could pick and choose based on what I knew of my likes). The only thing is I don't know if they would ship to France.

I completely missed your post (feels silly for starting a new topic ^^). I'm going to check it out now, sound pretty cool. Could be just what I'm looking for. :) I could always get help if they only shipped to the US so I'm not over-worried about that.

You might then want to try out some small Asian tea shops selling loose leaf green tea. Not sure your town or city has those. Or order online (for example from China, lol).

We do have one asian shop in my town. *marks it down to check it out*

Peoples taste in tea is so varied, I can suggest any flavour I like and your fiance might hate them all. Which is why I would also suggest sample packs. But if that's not an option.. how about next town over? Maybe if you google there might be a french or european site that sells tea?

I know, that's why I asked for advice here, just to really give me a good guideline as in what exists, and where to look because I'm really not a tea drinker.
With all the advice I've gotten here things are taking shape. ^^

Davids Tea does do seasonal samplers--and will ship out if you are interested.  Though, the teas are usually flavoured and if he likes straight teas it may not be an option.

I would suggest trying to pry his mind a bit.  See what kind of tea he likes.  Falvoured or non? Black, white, green, rooibos? Matcha? Herbal?

Loose leaf over packeted is just the tip of the iceburg <3

ETA: Somehow I missed one of your posts.  Earl grey is black tea with an orang-ish flavor...but you either love or hate it (to me its peppery but others swear by it)

I'm really beginning to be convinced by the idea of these sampler packs. :)

I have be trying to pry his mind, but it's hard because he usually figures out when I'm planning to offer him something. lol  :lol: I've managed to find out that he loves black, green. White he has never tried. And he loves Earl Grey. ... So progress is being made. :)

You can also try Kusmi tea, it's an online store and it's available in France. I also agree with what everyone says about getting a sampler. Maybe you can even get a tea infuser as well.

Yep, Sampler is definitely what I'm going for. And I was thinking about getting an infuser too.
I will look it out. :)
I'm so glad you've all been able to help me out.

My favorite tea brand is from France, it's called Mariage Frères. Their teas are amazing! Another French brand I like is Kusmi Tea. I've bought loose leaf tea from both places. Kusmi has the most adorable stacked tea tins if you buy a sampler of their teas.

OK... I've lived in France for 15 years, and had never even heard of them lol *adds to list to check out*.

I just try whatever looks interesting.....

If it were for me, that's probably what I would do. :)

Thank you all for the advice! It has been really helpful! :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal