collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Welcome Swedish/Scandinavian members! [English thread]  (Read 3294 times)

Princess Lala

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Welcome all Swedish members! [English thread]
« Reply #60 on: November 09, 2015, 06:53:15 AM »
Oh i can answer ALL those for ya and please feel free to ask  more! I love exchanging things about Sweden and America!
Trying to be as detailed as I can lol!

Spoiler

Wall to wall carpets, they do indeed  get dirty! xD I vaccum multiple times a week because i brush my hair a lot and husband gets food crumbs on it. I just have a short length carpet on my floor and the corners I have to constantly vaccum up fuzzballs and dust bunniez! I perfer hardwood floors shiny and waxed, i personally HATE  carpet! xD if i spill even a drop of soda on it it stains because its creame colored and it has to be cleaned immedietly. I have to take a spray cleaner and scrub with a wash cloth until it pretty much leaves a hole in the carpet! It makes me feel like Cinderella! There are electric  carpet shampooers that look like vaccum cleaners but they are big and expensive!

I had carpet in my bathroom when i lived in my second house as a teenager! Indeed it is WEIRD! Heck, it weirded me out and aaaah it stinks after a while and can mold! Good old tile or vinyl for me please!

I have never seen a bathroom with a sofa inside it near the toilet LOL gross! Maybe if it was a studio apartment? Some public bathrooms may be large and have a waiting bench inside but other than that I cant think of a bathroom like that! For me ive got a decently sized bathroom with a big sink, a toilet, and rectangle bathtub- but no closet!

As for shoes, for the most part everyone i know takes them off at the door! I have always taken my shoes off near the entrance or kick them off in my kitchen for the ferret to run after them LOL! I know I step in weird stuff outside i dont want that tracking all over my carpet! xD

As for walk in closest.... I have a huge one and i spend most my time in it!! In fact my entire MLP, Disney doll, and zelf collection are organized all in my walk in closet! Most one bedroom apartments ( even some studios!)  here have them but I feel like only newer houses do.

Lets see.... for aluminum  soda cans they typically come in one size here, around 12oz for a coke can! For a soda like those plastic bottles you buy at the gas station, those are about  I wanna say... 20 fl oz? So maybe a 1-liter at 33 fl oz sounds about right. A two-liter is around 70 floz! Thats just too much soda unless there is a party!

Edit: Hmm ok for a medium fountain drink at the movies.....  At 0.5 liters, thats about 17 fl oz am i right? I have a shampoo bottle at 18 and for a medium to me personally thats small! xD Granted I always get the second largest tub of popcorn so I get thirsty! LoL! But I try to be a little healthier and get Powerade rather than soda at the movies xP

Heehee this is crazy fun answering questions!

Oh! Someone also said on the internet its weird us Americans eat baked potatoes topped with cheese! Is that weird in Sweden? I cant think of a better thing for a baked potato besides salt, pepper, and shredded cheese!

Also the thing about America putting bacon on everything is true! We have a place here called Jack in the Box that had a bacon milkshake (groooosss) and a bacon cheeseburger with bacon strips, bacon ranch, and the beef patty had bacon in it. America has bacon flavored chips, candy, popcorn, chapstick, its crazy. On the salad isle in grocery shelves we have a 4ft section just for bacon toppings. Personally i dont like bacon! xS
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 07:35:03 AM by Princess Lala »

Offline Teddy

• MLP Tales Goddess
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Mother of Ducks
    • View Profile
    • Teddy's Place
« Reply #61 on: November 09, 2015, 10:25:30 AM »
Maybe it's just me, but the taking off the shoes right when you walk in the door to someone else's house is still really odd for me. I forget ALL THE TIME here when I go to other people's places and really hope I haven't offended anyone. No one has said anything to me yet, though. I do realize after a few minutes, but it's just really weird to take off my shoes at someone else's house. o.O
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Click HERE to visit my MLP Tales site!

Offline TickleMePink

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 09, 2015, 10:47:28 AM »
Maybe it's just me, but the taking off the shoes right when you walk in the door to someone else's house is still really odd for me. I forget ALL THE TIME here when I go to other people's places and really hope I haven't offended anyone. No one has said anything to me yet, though. I do realize after a few minutes, but it's just really weird to take off my shoes at someone else's house. o.O

My dad´s irish and he always uses shoes indoors, so for me that´s totally normal. No problem if you wanna wear shoes at my place anyways.  :cool:
:lovey: Yes to dance beneith the diamond sky with one hand waving free :lovey:
Thanks to Nence for my avatar!
Formerly known as gredelingrrrl

S.o.a.r.

« Reply #63 on: November 09, 2015, 11:54:18 AM »
Ah yes, carpeted floors seems to be pretty common in American homes; as well as hotel rooms.

When I lived in San Francisco for three months as an exchange student, my host family had carpet throughout their house. Although they didn't always wear their shoes inside the house; from time to time they were off. But not in August when I first arrived. I think I kept my shoes in my room since they didn't have a designated place for the shoes in the hallway like we do in Sweden. I however always walked around in my socks when indoors and only put on shoes when going out. Anything else feels unnatural for me.

That was one of the things I wondered the most about when I grew up watching American tv-shows; why did all the characters run around with their shoes on indoors?

Also, everything is BIGGER in America! Especially in the restaurants; the kids' menu is almost bigger than an adult size menu in Sweden. I do however LOVE your soda sizes! I miss the Xtra Large soda size at SF Bio so much!

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #64 on: November 10, 2015, 07:09:11 AM »
Shoes inside and hard to clean carpets sound like a perfect match, lol.

Baked potatoes with cheese is not something I've heard of.. we do have a thing called hasselbackspotatis, which is when you slize one side of the potatoe and butter it and put it in the oven, take it out and sprinkle cheese over and bake it a while again, but they're ordinary potatoes and usually served with meat. With baked potatoes we usually have cold mashes with tuna or chicken.

Omg bacon! I love bacon but some things I've seen are so weird! I was linked to a site that sold bacon mayonaise and bacon toothpaste amongst other thing and I felt like backing out slowly.

s.o.a.r. and to think it was coca cola themselves that cancelled that size because of peoples huge intake of sugar. I still can't believe people actually bought it. For me a small one (30 cl) is enought XD. I remember two brothers once who bought a blockbuster menue each with XL-drinks.. granted they were like two meters tall and really wide but still.. :blink:

Offline Annichen

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • So Soft Pony
  • G1 MLP 4 life
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 10, 2015, 07:12:24 AM »
I'm Norwegian but was a member over at Druvdalen many years ago :)

S.o.a.r.

« Reply #66 on: November 10, 2015, 07:52:46 AM »
s.o.a.r. and to think it was coca cola themselves that cancelled that size because of peoples huge intake of sugar. I still can't believe people actually bought it.
:lol: Well, good of The Coca Cola Company to cancel the size since it is very large. But with my Coke Zero addiction, I sure liked that size very much! Sometimes during the longer movies (around 2h) I managed to finish up the XL soda and go back out to the "kiosk" to buy a medium size soda... :blush: 

Offline StarZetRaven

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • Your average G2 collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 10, 2015, 08:04:01 AM »
I'm Norwegian but I'd like to say hi :)

Say, there's a thing I've been wondering. There are so many swedish mlp collectors, but so very few norwegian ones in comparison. What happened in Sweden that didn't happen here? I was born in 94 so I don't know how g1 spread here.

Less collectors means few people to talk to but less competition too. Unless we're talking flea markets, because norwegian flea markets are vicious and unforgiving :P

I'm selling g3s on a norwegian selling site (it's like tradera, only far less ponies) but I market it towards parents more than collectors because well, there are almost no collectors here.
(I live in Oslo though which isn't that far from the border so if anyone visits Norway they could pick some up ;) )

Whoever said norway was expensive though - yeah, it is. And Hasbro just raised the price of g4 singles to 129NOK and I'm outraged.
ladywaterfall.tumblr.com

Princess Lala

« Reply #68 on: November 10, 2015, 08:07:37 AM »
Quote from: S.o.a.r.

That was one of the things I wondered the most about when I grew up watching American tv-shows; why did all the characters run around with their shoes on indoors?

Also, everything is BIGGER in America! Especially in the restaurants; the kids' menu is almost bigger than an adult size menu in Sweden. I do however LOVE your soda sizes! I miss the Xtra Large soda size at SF Bio so much!

Ditto! im always wearing socks or slippers indoors, never shoes in the house! My grandma (from Germany) is the same way, same with my real mom. We grew up with shoes at the door on a special mat and always running in socks! A lot of my friends that come over do it too and we also wonder why people in TV walk around in shoes LOL! On the couch too!? xD

TIS TRUE! In dinners I ALWAYS order a kids size and this became a custom when I moved to Texas!! Im serious! Dinners and resturaunts (excluding fast food) will give you a menu and water, but then bring out a free appetizer like chips/salsa, rolls, or breadsticks for free that fill you up as you wait for the entree. Then lets say you order a salad or plate of food- you get it and it comes with extra sides like fruit, biscuits, etc than it shows in the picture! Plus a drink with so many refills! That AND our portions are bigger! 0_o Unless you eat at Disney World then all meals are pretty small.

OMG a Norwegian! *waves* My family is from Norge! We just ordered a whole case of Kvikk Lunsj for the holidays!!
EDIT: JEEZE 120 crowns for a brushable!? Thats about $14 USD! xD tell ya what.. ever want to trade me a one of those amazing blueberry Freia kvikk bars I will send you over brushables!  :biggrin:
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 08:14:43 AM by Princess Lala »

S.o.a.r.

« Reply #69 on: November 10, 2015, 10:23:47 AM »
I'm Norwegian but was a member over at Druvdalen many years ago :)
Oh how fun that you've found your way back here again! Welcome back! ;)

Say, there's a thing I've been wondering. There are so many swedish mlp collectors, but so very few norwegian ones in comparison. What happened in Sweden that didn't happen here?

Whoever said norway was expensive though - yeah, it is. And Hasbro just raised the price of g4 singles to 129NOK and I'm outraged.
Hello and welcome! ^.^
I haven't realized there were more Swedish collectors than Norwegian but my first guess is that maybe more ponies were released here in Sweden for some weird reason? Or that the MLP culture is bigger here but then again why?

And I've heard that it's very expensive to live in Norway; the salaries are higher than in Sweden but then again everything is more expensive so it evens out. I just looked up the Swedish prices of G4 singles on BR-Leksaker and it's currently 99,90 SEK so it's slightly lower than in Norway but not by much.

TIS TRUE! In dinners I ALWAYS order a kids size and this became a custom when I moved to Texas!! Im serious! Dinners and resturaunts (excluding fast food) will give you a menu and water, but then bring out a free appetizer like chips/salsa, rolls, or breadsticks for free that fill you up as you wait for the entree. Then lets say you order a salad or plate of food- you get it and it comes with extra sides like fruit, biscuits, etc than it shows in the picture! Plus a drink with so many refills! That AND our portions are bigger! 0_o Unless you eat at Disney World then all meals are pretty small.
Oooh! I do love the free refills in America! Except on IKEA, we don't get free refills here in Sweden! It's usually only about 5-10 SEK for a refill but still. And the prices at Disneyland are an outrage!  :shocked:

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #70 on: November 11, 2015, 02:09:14 AM »
I remember your name Annichen. :)

I think we had about three or four members from Norway at druvis, but they kind of dissapeared. We also had one or two from Denmark and a couple from Finland. Yeah, I don't know why we're more collectors in sweden but prices is a good guess, I think.

Offline Teddy

• MLP Tales Goddess
  • Mother of Ducks
    • View Profile
    • Teddy's Place
« Reply #71 on: November 13, 2015, 07:59:35 AM »
So fun to meet other collectors here in Scandinavia! I've also heard how crazy expensive it is to live in Norway, but how the jobs pay much better than Sweden. Apparently lots of Swedes actually travel over to Norway every day to work? Is this true?

Anyway, I just wanted to share that due to this thread, I got to meet S.o.a.r. in person today! We met up and traded a few ponies. ^-^ We didn't get to talk much because I was working, but it was so nice to meet another collector over here! It was short but sweet, S.o.a.r.! ;) We really should set up a pony meet over here one day. It would be so fun to hang out with other collectors for awhile!

S.o.a.r.

Re: Welcome Swedish/Scandinavian members! [English thread]
« Reply #72 on: November 13, 2015, 10:29:09 AM »
So fun to meet other collectors here in Scandinavia! I've also heard how crazy expensive it is to live in Norway, but how the jobs pay much better than Sweden. Apparently lots of Swedes actually travel over to Norway every day to work? Is this true?
Yup! My big brother's girlfriend, who's a nurse, travelled daily from Sweden to Norway to work at a Norwegian hospital because of the high salary. They live pretty close to the Norwegian border, so she could always come every night and save more money that way by not having to live part-time in Norway.

Anyway, I just wanted to share that due to this thread, I got to meet S.o.a.r. in person today! We met up and traded a few ponies. ^-^ We didn't get to talk much because I was working, but it was so nice to meet another collector over here! It was short but sweet, S.o.a.r.! ;) We really should set up a pony meet over here one day. It would be so fun to hang out with other collectors for awhile!
Yeah, it was too bad we didn't get a chance to talk longer! This was my first time meeting a fellow MLP collector and the first American I've met here in Sweden. ^.^ And I once again wanna thank you for my lovely ponies! The Teeny Tiny ponies are especially adorable and I'm so happy I have a complete set now! :lol: I hope you're satisfied with your ponies and I'll gladly do business with you again! ;) And a pony meet in Stockholm sometime next year should be doable since I think quite a lot of members live in the Stockholm area.

Offline Teddy

• MLP Tales Goddess
  • Mother of Ducks
    • View Profile
    • Teddy's Place
« Reply #73 on: November 14, 2015, 03:14:00 AM »
Yeah, it was too bad we didn't get a chance to talk longer! This was my first time meeting a fellow MLP collector and the first American I've met here in Sweden. ^.^ And I once again wanna thank you for my lovely ponies! The Teeny Tiny ponies are especially adorable and I'm so happy I have a complete set now! :lol: I hope you're satisfied with your ponies and I'll gladly do business with you again! ;) And a pony meet in Stockholm sometime next year should be doable since I think quite a lot of members live in the Stockholm area.

Wow, I didn't know I was the first fellow collector you've met! Let me know if you ever want to fika or something (you know, and talk for more than two minutes, lol). I think I'm pretty harmless. ^-^ And I LOVE my new ponies!! They are beautiful, and I especially love Jazzie! I'd never actually seen any of the Roller Skate ponies in person before, and she is just gorgeous. Those colors! They are all standing here on my desk next to my computer right now. Thank you so much! And I would totally be there for any Stockholm meets in the future. :)

S.o.a.r.

« Reply #74 on: November 15, 2015, 11:02:06 AM »
I LOVE my new ponies!! They are beautiful, and I especially love Jazzie! I'd never actually seen any of the Roller Skate ponies in person before, and she is just gorgeous. Those colors! They are all standing here on my desk next to my computer right now. Thank you so much!
Oh, I'm so glad you like them! So happy that they went to a good home! :lol:
Tabby and Honey Pie have gone home to my other ponies at my parents' house to be with their sisters, Whiskers and Giggles. And Shoreline has been reunited with her set sisters as well! ^.^

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal