collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Variant Glow 'n Show Bright Glow? Or re-hair?! HELP!  (Read 1223 times)

Offline Clipper

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+122)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Clipper
    • View Profile
    • Clipper's Sail
Variant Glow 'n Show Bright Glow? Or re-hair?! HELP!
« on: September 28, 2015, 12:10:04 PM »
Hey everyone,
I recently aquired this pony off eBay from another collector here in the community.
First thing I noticed was her body was different then the normal USA release (was told it is the uk variant body color) and also her pink in her mane is corral colored (baby drummers color).

I got her in the mail and noticed that the purple in the mane and tail was a different texture then the corral color which I was told can happen? Also, the mane is slightly thinner which can be common too.

At first I thought her head was factory sealed, but how can you really tell it is? There are good glues today that can make it look it right ?

So , after about 4 days of starring at the pony and trying to figure out if she was real or not, I popped part of the head open.. Mane seems to be glued in with some sort of hot glue????  I have never seen
Any G1 or any pony for that matter with glued hair this way, only woven. But anything is possible?

Tail had a squeezed washed instead of flat , which me and the other collector who I got this from both have seen this in g1 ponies before.. Although, expecting the metal piece inside the washer it seems to be some weird flat metal and not rounded???
I have also opened my happy glow from my collection, and her hair is woven in her head.. I can provide photos after work.

Does anyone have Input on this pony? Is she factory or is she custom? Are there more like this out there? I think this pony is beautiful regardless, but I just hope I didn't put out a big chunk of money for an alt rehair .
Help!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 12:31:24 PM by Clipper »

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Variant Glow 'n Show Bright Glow? Or re-hair?! HELP!
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 12:33:16 PM »
Based only on the pics of the inside of her head I'd guess rehair.  That's what it looks like when you use a rerooting tool or the knot method. 

Offline BlushingBlue

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 12:52:07 PM »
Well, the mane is clearly not "factory", i.e. machine-sewn. Are you asking whether or not this could've been done in an official capacity by someone at Hasbro, as a mock-up or something? I'm sorry to say that it seems really unlikely; even a prototype would have a machine-rooted mane.

I can't claim to know that there isn't an "official" coral-haired Brightglow variation out there, since the Glowing Magic/Glow n Show ponies have lots of little surprises, but my opinion is that this particular pony is a rehair. :huh:

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 01:29:58 PM »
She looks like a rehair to me as well :) Very cute though!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Clipper

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+122)
  • Clipper
    • View Profile
    • Clipper's Sail
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 02:06:47 PM »
:-/
Ok darn. Should I send her back for a full refund or ask for a partial? What would a rehair even be worth? She's so pretty too. Such a shame. Just FYI the seller is on the arena and is a trustworthy person to deal with. This was just an error and not intentional. I don't want people to think she is selling her ponies all rehaired or something .

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2015, 03:34:47 PM »
She looks like a rehaie, but I think she is very vibrant in those colors. It's up to you if your not happy with her, it makes her unique and charming to me. But you know, I'm not you so
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline lunar_scythe

• factory error Blue Belle
  • Gold Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+84)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2015, 08:25:38 PM »
Clipper, I don't know if you saw, but in the Nirvana forum, there's a thread on rehairs, too!  you might want to PM the ones there who've had this happen, just to check if it's the same seller.
My Army of Bluebelles (New pic coming sooner or later)

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2015, 11:00:30 AM »
definitely a rehair based on the glue

I love the color of her body though-

You can send her back for a refund if you don't want her now that you know she is a rehair. The seller should have disclosed that.  Even if unintentional, the fault still lies with her.  You could also agree to take a discount if you'd rather keep the pony.

No idea what the difference in price would be though.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 11:02:50 AM by Galactica »

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2015, 12:37:04 PM »
Doesn't it usually go that a pony with nice intact hair is worth the most, a chopped or bald one is worth a lot less, and rehairs are somewhere in between?
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Babydoll

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • ★ Instagram Babydoll84uk (Pics of my collection) ★
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2015, 02:00:37 PM »
Hey just want to say it was me who sold the Bright Glow to Clipper but this was honestly a genuine mistake on my part and has never happened to me before. I had purchased her in a lot from eBay & the seller stated this was his girlfriends childhood collection so I didnt even think to check for rehairs. I actually didn't notice Bright Glow's hair (I thought it was just Dazzle Glow & Star Glow who had variant versions) and do not look inside my ponies heads if they are sealed so feel really dissapointed in myself that I couldn't tell she was a rehair. You can see the original auction where I purchased her from here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-RARE-Generation-1-G1-COLLECTABLE-MY-LITTLE-PONY-FIGURES-BUNDLE-JOB-LOT-/221847632572?hash=item33a7263abc&nma=true&si=fuTtAYkraFAgw2dEcIuNvBKCxKA%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Clipper has been so lovely to deal with :heart: and ideally I would like him to return Bright Glow to me so I can issue him a full refund but Clipper would like to keep her so I thought perhaps £10-£15 would be about right for a rehair!?

Also lastly just want to say I am not and have no connection with the (undisclosed) nirvana rehairer as I have never actually rehaired a pony before and if I were to knowingly have one for sale I would definately disclose this in my auctions/sales.

Babydoll~
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 02:03:16 PM by Babydoll »

Offline nhal039

• Trade Count: (+171)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2015, 02:11:09 PM »
hi babydoll, I am the op of the undisclosed nirvana rehair thing, I can say it wasn't you I brought from also :) I must say thou that undisclosed rehairs are much more common than people think, they go unnoticed because buyers and sellers don't even check. Really I think everyone must check cause I bet there are many getting sold as originals

Offline aero_oceana

• Trade Count: (+170)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/aero_oceana
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2015, 02:43:44 PM »
Thank you so much for stepping forward, Babydoll. :) I feel like I have to be paranoid about EVERYONE I buy from now (thanks to all the reports of people buying undisclosed rehairs/undisclosed repinks). Never used to feel that way. At least there is one seller I can definitely add to my "safe list." lol
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 02:45:20 PM by aero_oceana »

Thanks to Sorrow for my gorgeous sig and also for my beautiful avatar!
Formerly known as Aerosmith_Gal.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2015, 01:30:16 PM »
Thank you for coming forward Babydoll *hugs*

Unfortunately something like this can happy with both parties, seller and buyer, being none the wiser. Sounds like you have managed to sort things out. As a ponys she runs around the $20 mark at the moment (she has increased from $15-16 a couple of months ago); as a complete rehair I personally would think $12 ish but re hair value can be very subjective to an individual. 
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2015, 01:42:26 PM »
It's also a really...it's a rehair you wouldn't notice necessarily unless you started to investigate because there are so many hair variations and it would make sense for Bright Glow to have a coral version. I'm really glad it all ended up setttled, and Bright Glow has a home anyway.

Rehairing is getting more common, including alt rehairs. I think there's a real need for rehairs to be marked on the hoof base so that even when the pony gets circulated several times away from the original rehairer, people know. Probably what happened with that lot is that some ponies were bought for a kid off ebay to supplement a collection, and the rehair got into it that way - as people have been rehairing for a long time...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Babydoll

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • ★ Instagram Babydoll84uk (Pics of my collection) ★
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2015, 02:48:27 AM »
hi babydoll, I am the op of the undisclosed nirvana rehair thing, I can say it wasn't you I brought from also :) I must say thou that undisclosed rehairs are much more common than people think, they go unnoticed because buyers and sellers don't even check. Really I think everyone must check cause I bet there are many getting sold as originals
Agreed, I didn't think I would ever be fooled by a rehair but this incident has definately opened my eyes & looks like I may have to get into the habit of breaking neck seals more often just to be sure.

Thank you so much for stepping forward, Babydoll. :) I feel like I have to be paranoid about EVERYONE I buy from now (thanks to all the reports of people buying undisclosed rehairs/undisclosed repinks). Never used to feel that way. At least there is one seller I can definitely add to my "safe list." lol

Thanks hun, this means a lot :hug:

Thank you for coming forward Babydoll *hugs*

Unfortunately something like this can happy with both parties, seller and buyer, being none the wiser. Sounds like you have managed to sort things out. As a ponys she runs around the $20 mark at the moment (she has increased from $15-16 a couple of months ago); as a complete rehair I personally would think $12 ish but re hair value can be very subjective to an individual. 

I know just didn't think it would happen to me :( yes we ended up going with £12.50, I'm a bit rubbish at pricing as I'm so used to Ebays prices so just tried to work out an average rehair price from EBay.;)

It's also a really...it's a rehair you wouldn't notice necessarily unless you started to investigate because there are so many hair variations and it would make sense for Bright Glow to have a coral version. I'm really glad it all ended up setttled, and Bright Glow has a home anyway.

Rehairing is getting more common, including alt rehairs. I think there's a real need for rehairs to be marked on the hoof base so that even when the pony gets circulated several times away from the original rehairer, people know. Probably what happened with that lot is that some ponies were bought for a kid off ebay to supplement a collection, and the rehair got into it that way - as people have been rehairing for a long time...

I know & also from my experience I have found with the Glow n Show ponies (& precious pocket ponies) that their hair streaks tend to be different textures one is smoother & the other seems prone to frizz more.

Yes agreed as had Bright Glow been marked under her hoof this would never had happened. I understand some collectors don't like pen marks on ponies but to me if a pony has been rehaired it is already damaged so don't understand the difference a small pen mark will make. :huh:

Babydoll~
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 06:17:13 AM by Babydoll »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal