collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: I just got a super rare Takara Playset!!! Does anyone speak Japanese??  (Read 2354 times)

Offline MLPforever

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Like Fluffy Bottom Plush on Facebook!
    • View Profile
    • Fluffy Bottom Plush
Hey all!

So I just got a SUPER rare Japanese, Takara playset. It is covered in Japanese writing. I have three separate questions.

First: Does anyone here speak Japanese?? Your help in translating would be SO appreciated and would lead to great advances in pony science!

Second: Does anyone here know how I can get in touch with the person in charge of mylittlewiki? I have tried to email her with no success. I love mylittlewiki and I want to make sure that this playset gets added to the wiki, as well as my other Takara girl, who isn't on there yet either.

Third: This is a long shot, but does anyone know of anyone who might some takara clothing to sell? I will soon have three Takaras but only two will have decent outfits! I have already spoken with shelvesofwhimsy and Spikethedragon, but they don't have anything else for sale at the moment.

Thanks so much pony people! Here is the link to my brag thread with photos of the playset: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,372724.0.html
Check out my etsy shop for beautiful handmade plush animals! Commission me for your own tiny MLP plushie! And please like Fluffy Bottom Plush on Facebook for special discounts and progress photos!

https://www.facebook.com/fluffybottomplush

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline shelvesofwhimsy

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Shelvesofwhimsy
    • View Profile
    • Toy Collector & Miniature Maker
Re: I just got a super rare Takara Playset!!! Does anyone speak Japanese??
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 10:09:07 AM »
I think that PrincessLuna can translate Japanese, but not 100% sure that's her full username :)

Good Luck!! I would love to know what everything says for the advancement of Pony History!

Offline Corona

• Eohippus Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Japanifornia Attorney Spokespony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 10:12:18 AM »
I can read Japanese as well. It'll take a little time though. There is one other member I'm blanking on who is fluent.

Duster reference]

Offline MLPforever

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • Fluffy Bottom Plush
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 10:39:42 AM »
Thanks Corona!
Check out my etsy shop for beautiful handmade plush animals! Commission me for your own tiny MLP plushie! And please like Fluffy Bottom Plush on Facebook for special discounts and progress photos!

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 11:11:07 AM »
This set is just so adorable! I really enjoyed looking at the wonderfully detailed pictures you have taken ^.^

So kawaii!!

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 10:11:03 PM »
My husband has an app that can easily translate.  I saved your pictures - can I help?  :)

edit: It might take a few days because you have so many pictures but I will do my best!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 06:37:40 AM by lovesbabysquirmy »
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline MLPforever

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • Fluffy Bottom Plush
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2015, 07:17:07 AM »
My husband has an app that can easily translate.  I saved your pictures - can I help?  :)

edit: It might take a few days because you have so many pictures but I will do my best!

Sure! I got a message today from someone who thinks they can translate it, but you are welcome to try as well! Sometimes people come up with different ideas of what a phrase means, etc. I'd love to see them all!

flyawayraven

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 08:36:10 AM »
I think Bandit Pony can as well? Looks like we're not short on Japanese speakers here! :D

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2015, 07:40:56 PM »
I bet if we all put our heads together we could do this pretty well.  :)
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2015, 01:01:42 PM »
Don't use an online translate...Japanese has a very different structure to English and it will probably make less sense after than it does now.

I speak Japanese and can read it but itvlooks like you akready have a translator.

It is very sweet though. Some cute conversation on the box between Milky and Pinky!
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline MLPforever

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • Fluffy Bottom Plush
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2015, 01:09:11 PM »
Don't use an online translate...Japanese has a very different structure to English and it will probably make less sense after than it does now.

I speak Japanese and can read it but itvlooks like you akready have a translator.

It is very sweet though. Some cute conversation on the box between Milky and Pinky!

I actually haven't found anyone who has translated the outside of the box yet. If you'd like to take a crack at it, I'd appreciate it very much! The only things that have been translated so far is the inside of the playset--the little "fashion T.V." and the "sign" hanging to the right of it. Nothing on the box has been translated yet!  ;)

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2015, 01:27:34 PM »

I actually haven't found anyone who has translated the outside of the box yet. If you'd like to take a crack at it, I'd appreciate it very much! The only things that have been translated so far is the inside of the playset--the little "fashion T.V." and the "sign" hanging to the right of it. Nothing on the box has been translated yet!  ;)

I wonder if my supervisor would include it as research work for my PhD as it does involve translating Japanese text and horses. (It's certainly more interesting than reading the last chapter of my current theory book, mind you).

I may not do all of it, but I'll do the cute conversation if I can find the pictures again. Give me a second, will come back and edit here shortly.
Spoiler
Pinky (to Milky, about her daisy chain) Waa, Mirukii! Tottemo suteki  ne! (Wow, Milky, that's really awesome!)

Spoiler
Milky (to Pinky): Pinkii! Hayaku! Omekashi Hausu de omekashi shichaou! (Pinky! Hurry up! Come inside the "Make Up House" and lets do (our) make up!

(Omekashi is a weird word to me >.>. I'm so used to hearing Japanese people just say "meeku" XD)

Spoiler
Here Milky is definitely trying to be cute, as she refers to herself in the third person. (this is something Japanese kids, especially girls, are supposed to do...it's generally considered "cute" and "innocent" I think...)
Milky: Kawaii heaa-akusesarii ga ippai de Mirukii dore ni shiyou ka? Mayocchaou!
(There are so many cute hair accessories, which ones should Milky use? I can't decide!*

*This literally means "I'm lost", but that's what she means in context...

Above the picture of the accessories it just says "Accessories that are included inside" which is self explanatory.

Spoiler
On the different images: "O-sanpo" (A walk)
O-dekake (Going out)
Supootsu (Sports)
Konna ni iron na shurui ga aru no yo! (There are so many different styles!)

The text in the bottom left by Pinky is just her name in Katakana (ピンキー or Pinkii)

The instructions on how to handle the hair accessories and stuff are fairly self explanatory from the images? They can be translated, if you need, but really they just say what the pictures show, which you already kinda figured out ;)

The name is Omekashi Hausu (おめかしハウス), which is literally Make Up House, or, I think your guess of Beauty Parlour would be the most logical English alternative :)

I've just done this quickly from screen to screen so hopefully I didn't mistype anything. It's almost entirely in kana anyway, which makes it easier in some ways and harder in others...;)
Spoiler

Edit to add: Actually, the box says O-share na Ponii to Omekashi Hausu - Fashion Pony and Make Up House. Just to be strictly accurate. ;)
Underneath it says "Iron na kami-asobi ga dekichau no!" (You can do all kinds of hair styling!)

Takara are clearly very modest. Down the bottom left hand corner, under the inset photo it says "Ooki na doressaa ga suteki deshou!" (roughly translated as "Isn't the large dresser great?!")
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 02:23:35 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline MLPforever

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • Fluffy Bottom Plush
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2015, 07:25:47 PM »
OMG wow, thank you so much Taffeta! That's amazing!!! It's so awesome to know what it actually says, as well as the context behind everything! I never would have thought of one of them talking about themselves in third person! Sometimes translations involve more than just words--there is cultural context to think about as well!

Any other writing you see that you'd like to translate, please go for it! I plan to put a spoiler on my original brag thread with photos where I write the english translations right beside the japanese words. I will be sure to credit you, as well as the people who translated the stuff on the inside of the playset for me!

Offline Tiggums6

• Valkyrie of the Victory
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2015, 08:57:37 PM »
Nice!
Remember kids....don't drink and ebay...

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2015, 04:52:43 AM »
I'll try and have another look at it later :)

I used to do this with manga sections as the context and style of speech and stuff always conveyed other nuances. I would say the overall tone of the text is casual/cute and child aimed. It is mostly written in the phonetic script that small children learn before they learn kanji, so I guess it is targeted to them to read themselves.

I didn't mention it before but Milky's name is at her feet too, like Pinky's, in katakana.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 04:55:53 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal