collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: A Way to Get Kinder Eggs Unbanned in US  (Read 5845 times)

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
Re: A Way to Get Kinder Eggs Unbanned in US
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2015, 09:55:25 AM »
Wait..... There are ponies in KinderEggs now?? :sad:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2015, 10:06:06 AM »
I like the little toys in Kinder Eggs and wish we could get them in the US but I do understand why the law is there also.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Buffy

• Trade Count: (+192)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • Buffys Paradise
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2015, 01:21:58 PM »
Wait..... There are ponies in KinderEggs now?? :sad:
Yeah, I haven't seen them(I have seen the eggs, but not the toys in real, because I don't collect them) but they need to be tiny ;-)

Offline Einhornbaby

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+124)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://einhornbaby.contract-killers.de
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2015, 01:35:09 PM »
Here they are :
http://www.kinderueberraschung.de/sonderserie/my-little-pony

Its sad to hear that the eggs are (still) banned from the US :(

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2015, 05:34:13 AM »
Just have to say i have posted kinder eggs to a friend lots in the us without problems, maybe thats the way to go

I was doing some reading about this some months back. US customs, if they find them, confiscate them, and people have been fined thousands of dollars for trying to import them. Some may slip through, but I wouldn't think it's a good idea to risk it, since the person you send to might get in trouble for it.

I don't really know if Kinder are that dangerous. We've always had them here. I remember one incident ever in my lifetime where a kid choked on the toys. That said, there are a ton of things small kids can choke on and they're not banned. Kinder are not banned here, and they do have plastic capsules inside them, have as long as I can recall.

The choking hazard thing is a viable concern, in the big picture, but I just find it deeply ironic. I am fairly sure that more children in the US have died due to playing with guns than have in Europe from eating Kinder Eggs.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline MilkyTaroMochi

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Ivy is best pony. <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2015, 09:30:31 AM »
To this day, I am still bitter than the original US Wonder Ball took ou the toys and replaced it with candy. Took away the whole point in buying them, for me.  xD

I know some months ago, I was using a Japanese anime figure subscription box, and the one month I signed up for, they had put a Super Mario Galaxy Kinder egg (or something like that - a figure in plastic capsule container, inside a chocolate egg/ball) inside each of the boxes.

Upon finding out or hearing that they were banned the US (the group were based in Japan), they made an mini-annoucement about it and then asked if any of us in the States who got our boxes still had that candy inside whenever we recieve it. Mine did, which really surprised me.
Thank you so much for the adoptable, Corona! :D

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2015, 10:41:06 AM »
if you want just the chocolate, they do sell the tiny bars--its the exact same thing.

Far as the toy goes, just get it online.  You aren't going to get the law removed, and they aren't going ot reinvent their egg shape so that the ridges are clear enough for the kid to know something is inside.

ofcorse, I can bring a whole new angle on the parents of the kids that did choke on those eggs--but I wont.

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2015, 10:57:09 AM »
To this day, I am still bitter than the original US Wonder Ball took ou the toys and replaced it with candy. Took away the whole point in buying them, for me.  xD

I know some months ago, I was using a Japanese anime figure subscription box, and the one month I signed up for, they had put a Super Mario Galaxy Kinder egg (or something like that - a figure in plastic capsule container, inside a chocolate egg/ball) inside each of the boxes.

Upon finding out or hearing that they were banned the US (the group were based in Japan), they made an mini-annoucement about it and then asked if any of us in the States who got our boxes still had that candy inside whenever we recieve it. Mine did, which really surprised me.

furuta choco eggs! That's what was at one of my Asian markets :) they have a license with Disney (I'd love to get my hands on the tsumtsum eggs.. Ayeeee)

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

flyawayraven

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2015, 11:49:46 AM »
Wait, what? Kinder eggs are really banned in the US for choking hazards?

Why? And how? When I was little I always HULK SMASH!!'d them with my fists and even then, there was this gigantic capsule inside that was nearly impossible to open, and big enough so a child couldn't swallow it.

Murica, what u doin? Murica, STAHP!

Not quite. :)  They are banned because they're an inedible object inside something edible.

It makes more sense if you look at the history of the law.  Imagine an America where it was legal to mix straw or rocks or basically anything with food to 'bulk it up'.  Then imagine a guy adding raspberry flavoring to poison and marketing it as medicine in the 1930s.  Imagine over 100 people dying and the public saying "WHY IS THAT LEGAL?"

So Congress passed a law saying inedible substances could not be in food items.  It's not that Kinder Eggs are singled out by the US; they just happen to fit the description. They can't just tack on a line that says "But this doesn't apply to Kinder Eggs" because, first, it would be really WEIRD to single out one company and, second, what if Kinder Egg got a competitor?  It wouldn't be fair.

At the same time they don't want to loosen up the law too much because then what if you get a company that's like "KIDS!  We embedded lots of tiny toys right into this block of chocolate, eat up!"  Don't think that someone wouldn't do it.  Remember, this law was put in place to begin with because someone thought, "I'll bet poison makes a great curative."

I like Kinder Eggs, but I don't feel it's worth the time it would take to revamp the law when Americans can get around the restriction by ordering Kinder Eggs from people in other countries anyway.

What LM said. It's not a recent ban nor is it singling out Kinder. It's an 80 year old law preventing it and as LM said adding an exception to it to allow one product isn't going to happen.

I've heard mixed things on people importing them to the US. Mailing can work but if you get a customs officer who's alert they will take them out of the box ad penalize both the shipper and receiver.

And as for people who have attempted to smuggle them (yes that's a thing), no dice. Customs will keep the eggs.

I remember Nestle sort of circumvented this in the 90's with the Disney Wonder Balls because those had a very noticeable plastic ball inside. However, they did eventually get pulled because the ball was just small enough that if a kid popped them into their mouth to open it, it was possible to choke on it.

Offline Purpleglasses

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2015, 12:01:13 AM »
It's funny, I know at least two neighborhood convenience stores in San Francisco have them. As I like to say, you can get Kinder eggs in the US, you just have to know a guy.

I got one with a minion dressed as a pirate recently. I suppose the part of the law that applies to a product deemed safe in most countries isn't very strictly enforced when it comes to simple chocolate eggs.

Princess Lala

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2015, 06:18:56 AM »
I always thought it was funny how we couldnt have kinder eggs but we had Wonderball back in the day. THAT was a choking hazard! I remember I would bite into the chocolate sphere and little sweet tart disney candies would fall out all over the floor! I remember they replaced the toys with the candy, but the candy pieces were smaller than the toy. The issue was actually a non food item inside food, not that it was so much of a choking hazard IIRC. I miss those wonderballs!!!!

I know there is Zaini Surprise (italian brand) and ChocoTreasures (I think NJ brand?) as well as Yowie that are legal here.

Hmmm I want one now. I wonder if ebay has kinder eggs!? :3 I dont care if its the law LOL *been drinking wine and vodka since teenager years*

Speaking of Yowie, Tom Thumbs seem to have them by the registers!!! Ive only been to one store and only one of the checkout lanes have them.

Hey, couldnt people just write on the customs form "gift" or something similar and not hint too much that its specidically chocolate? I wonder if customs employees use x-rays on packages!  xD Couldnt someone also "open" the chocolate and pull out the capsule and ship them that way? Its technically not embedded in the chocolate if its seperated!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 07:17:46 AM by Princess Lala »

Offline Tap Dancer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Dance 'n Prance with me! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2015, 07:18:10 AM »
I've never heard of Kinder Eggs. Is it pronounced "ken-der" or "kind-er?"

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2015, 12:01:34 PM »
I've never heard of Kinder Eggs. Is it pronounced "ken-der" or "kind-er?"

I've always heard it like "kin-durr".

Offline PinkiePosh

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • previously pinkiepony
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Marketplace Store
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2015, 12:09:05 PM »
Wait, what? Kinder eggs are really banned in the US for choking hazards?

Why? And how? When I was little I always HULK SMASH!!'d them with my fists and even then, there was this gigantic capsule inside that was nearly impossible to open, and big enough so a child couldn't swallow it.

Murica, what u doin? Murica, STAHP!

Not quite. :)  They are banned because they're an inedible object inside something edible.

It makes more sense if you look at the history of the law.  Imagine an America where it was legal to mix straw or rocks or basically anything with food to 'bulk it up'.  Then imagine a guy adding raspberry flavoring to poison and marketing it as medicine in the 1930s.  Imagine over 100 people dying and the public saying "WHY IS THAT LEGAL?"

So Congress passed a law saying inedible substances could not be in food items.  It's not that Kinder Eggs are singled out by the US; they just happen to fit the description. They can't just tack on a line that says "But this doesn't apply to Kinder Eggs" because, first, it would be really WEIRD to single out one company and, second, what if Kinder Egg got a competitor?  It wouldn't be fair.

At the same time they don't want to loosen up the law too much because then what if you get a company that's like "KIDS!  We embedded lots of tiny toys right into this block of chocolate, eat up!"  Don't think that someone wouldn't do it.  Remember, this law was put in place to begin with because someone thought, "I'll bet poison makes a great curative."

I like Kinder Eggs, but I don't feel it's worth the time it would take to revamp the law when Americans can get around the restriction by ordering Kinder Eggs from people in other countries anyway.
This is the most interesting thing I've read today!

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2015, 06:44:59 PM »
You know for a while there weren't any issues with the Wonder Ball, which is basically the same concept.  Then, I guess later on they put the toy outside the ball and inside the box because I guess some kids decided to eat it with the toy inside and chocked on the toy--not sure on the actual story just a guess.  Common sense was to open the chocolate ball and see what you got then eat the chocolate.

I guess they think American kids are stupid and will do the same thing. 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal