collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

What's your gender?

Male
Female
Neither
Both
Other (feel free to specify!)

Author Topic: I'm going to be nosey! Gender identity...?  (Read 12556 times)

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: I'm going to be nosey! Gender identity...?
« Reply #60 on: August 28, 2015, 12:08:28 PM »
I feel as though I identify as a female, but I am grossed out by my own girly parts.  No offense to anyone here, but I am actually grossed out by the whole female reproductive system and have a hard time understanding why some find it attractive. Maybe it's because I am straight? I shouldn't find myself to be gross, however. Sometimes I just think it's low self esteem and what someone said to me a long time ago....

I'm pretty hard on myself. And I feel like I am not feminine enough for a straight male to find attractive. I don't think I even know how to be feminine.

And in saying all this, I'm a hardcore feminist. I sure am full of contradictions.
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

Offline Corona

• Eohippus Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Japanifornia Attorney Spokespony
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 28, 2015, 12:59:53 PM »
TMI ahead and slightly embarrassing confession.

Biologically female. But I've grown up feeling like both a boy and a girl, and feeling physically I'm missing something. Mentally, I'm mostly girl but physically I want to be both. I tried to stave off labels as much as I could because for the longest time I didn't feel like I had to compartmentalize me.

Then I took on the labels and I think I'm actually worse for it. "Bigender" was the closest thing I could find but still, even after taking that label I couldn't find a single person who felt the same way I did. It's just led to more frustration than it did before I found the label.

I feel kinda gross and nervous of being judged just writing this down. So uh, yeah.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Duster reference]

Offline Prince_Sunbeam

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+52)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 28, 2015, 01:36:44 PM »
Labels are generally there to help other people understand how you are, not to help you understand yourself

I really like how that was put. It really accurately describes how I currently feel about labeling myself in terms of gender. Certainly at other points in my life (for me, high school and junior high) having a label made me feel so much more comfortable and confident in who I was, and gave me a sense of community. So I fully understand and appreciate/respect both sides of the label argument.
Of course life is just always so complex! My sex is male, AFAB. I express my gender visually as very masculine&burly, though my personality falls between the lines. If anything I more embrace arbitrary sexuality based labels. I identify as gay (bear), even though Im going to marry a ciswoman next year. None of the labels really mean anything, its more of a comfort zone /community thing for me I guess!
Also, none of this leaves this thread. I know nothing is ever truly private on the internet but I think we can all at least try to respect that this is a safe space to discuss a pretty private topic. I dont think anyone irl will be googling my username but this is one of the only times Ive been open about this stuff online since I live 'stealth'
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 01:38:22 PM by solsticeadam »
Back after at least 4 years away!

Offline Lady.Arachnia

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I, Myself, am Strange and Unusual...
    • View Profile
    • Boutique Gothique, Very Unique Gothic & Fantasy Wear & Jewelry
« Reply #63 on: August 29, 2015, 02:02:22 AM »
I'm a girly girl.....but I am not the type who cries when a nail broke off!
I like to garden without gloves, if there needs to been painted I take the brush at hand, if I want a hole in the wall I get out the electric screwdriver and made it myself!
I'm at home a construction worker wearing a dress with make-up and nail polish!

Thank you Artists for Itsy Bitsy Spider Pony! xxx

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 29, 2015, 05:42:54 AM »
I really like reading about all your gender identities, everybody! But I'm starting to wonder if I should add a dictionary of sorts to the original post?

Only because I see a pretty significant flucuation of people speaking of "transgendereds" or "cissexuals"
+ those who don't know what certain gender terms mean, I feel it'd be helpful but I also don't know if the mods would take it as snobbiness or something.  :whoa:

Ah, the joys of being scared of everything all the time... :stressed:
WishlistChecklistSalesPonysonaCommissions

Offline The_Loner

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • My Little Pony fan
    • View Profile
    • Dream Planet - The Toys
« Reply #65 on: August 30, 2015, 04:18:28 AM »
I really like reading about all your gender identities, everybody! But I'm starting to wonder if I should add a dictionary of sorts to the original post?

Only because I see a pretty significant flucuation of people speaking of "transgendereds" or "cissexuals"
+ those who don't know what certain gender terms mean, I feel it'd be helpful but I also don't know if the mods would take it as snobbiness or something.  :whoa:

Ah, the joys of being scared of everything all the time... :stressed:
I think that might be helpful for those interested. I know I find it confusing with all those different terms.

Offline Jupetto

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
  • Trouble maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 30, 2015, 07:34:40 AM »
I identify as male but born as female. Therapy suggested I might be autistic too so 'male brain' might make sense. :P (I'm not diagnosed) I don't like talking about it or engaging in communities because I feel like it's more of my own business, but to each their own.

Always looking for AJ stuff!

Offline Rosencrantz

• Shakespearian Tragedy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I like shiny things
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 30, 2015, 12:38:19 PM »
I'm a guy, and have been since I was 7.
 (backcard by Ivy!)

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 30, 2015, 09:36:13 PM »
I don't like that whole "male brains" idea because didn't science prove that male and female brains are the same. Anyways I have known more fellow autistic people who are asexual than transmen.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline gold.standard

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 30, 2015, 09:40:39 PM »
I don't like that whole "male brains" idea because didn't science prove that male and female brains are the same. Anyways I have known more fellow autistic people who are asexual than transmen.
Yeah, as an autistic person (and also asexual, so I'm chiming in) myself, I really don't like the whole "male" brain thing. It hasn't been proven, and it really just shoves fem and nb autistic people under the bus. It also just reenforces the gender binary which is a social construct not a biological thing. So yeah . o. Thank you for saying something!
I love art and ponies so much!!

Currently seeking ponies: Galaxy, Dewdrop Dazzle, Flitterheart, Twinkleshine, Sweetie Swirl, Sweetpop, Cherry Treats, Buttons, Baby Lucky Clover, Swirly Whirly, Tutti Fruiti, Sweet Clover

Offline The_Loner

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • My Little Pony fan
    • View Profile
    • Dream Planet - The Toys
« Reply #70 on: August 31, 2015, 03:09:55 AM »
Yeah, as an autistic person (and also asexual, so I'm chiming in) myself, I really don't like the whole "male" brain thing. It hasn't been proven, and it really just shoves fem and nb autistic people under the bus. It also just reenforces the gender binary which is a social construct not a biological thing. So yeah . o. Thank you for saying something!
I'm positive that male and female brains are the same but what they mean is there are some differences in how males/females think eg. that males should be more attentive to details and females better at the entirety of things/situations. Of course you can't say all males and females are like this but it does make sense in the matter that autistic people are very attentive to details and often less good at entireties. Either way I'm just repeating what I have been told, I am in no way an expert and I'm the last person to apply the same yardstick to everybody. Everyone is an individual. I just found that it might explain to me why I feel like I do but who knows.

Also just wanted to mention that being asexual is unrelated to gender identity but I find it interesting that there are so many other autistic people on here who feel gender neutral/transgender/asexual.

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 31, 2015, 05:29:25 AM »

Also, I feel that it(talking about "male/female" brains) can come off as cissexist because it's sorta implying that your brain will always correspond to the gender you were assigned. So ya know.

I'm quite tickled to see so many other users are autistic as well! It makes me feel so giddy. We should all be buddies. :relaxed:
WishlistChecklistSalesPonysonaCommissions

Offline Prince_Sunbeam

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+52)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 31, 2015, 07:16:49 AM »
I feel the need to point out that the poll says "Gender Identity" and we're perpetuating that Male and Female are gender labels. They are sex labels.
Not trying to be rude. I just feel like its a misrepresentation for everyone who may not be as informed about gender options to list male or female as options at all.
Sex has the options of male, female, or intersex.
Gender contains the vast spectrum of everything from binary masculine to binary feminine and has absolutely no relation what so ever to the sex categories.

Just reread this and I feel like it came off more pretentious than I meant for it to. Just trying to be informative. I love everyones unique expressions and the way they choose to define them selves- or not to! It can just do a disservice to the non-cis community to construe "gender" as male/female/other (aka putting it into cis terms for them to understand better as opposed to using what ever terms work for you as an individual)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 07:23:19 AM by solsticeadam »
Back after at least 4 years away!

Offline moevelvet

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 31, 2015, 08:08:29 AM »
I was reading an interesting discussion the other day about autism and gender.  It basically said that since autistic people have problems with social functioning, and gender is essentially a social construct, that's why a lot of autistic people experience gender differently and struggle with the gender binary.

(And yes, I agree!  We should be buddies!)
Current profile pic from: http://kero444.deviantart.com/
Ember by Nence

Offline gold.standard

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 31, 2015, 08:50:26 AM »
I'm positive that male and female brains are the same but what they mean is there are some differences in how males/females think eg. that males should be more attentive to details and females better at the entirety of things/situations. Of course you can't say all males and females are like this but it does make sense in the matter that autistic people are very attentive to details and often less good at entireties. Either way I'm just repeating what I have been told, I am in no way an expert and I'm the last person to apply the same yardstick to everybody. Everyone is an individual. I just found that it might explain to me why I feel like I do but who knows.

Also just wanted to mention that being asexual is unrelated to gender identity but I find it interesting that there are so many other autistic people on here who feel gender neutral/transgender/asexual.
Ah, thank you for clearing that up. If it helps you understand yourself, I completely get that!  :)
Yeah, I've always found it really interesting too!
My best friend is autistic and is aro-ace with some gender feels. And another good buddy of mine is autistic and is aro-bi, and is non binary. Out of my friend group, about 80% of us are autistic, and roughly half of us experience some sort of gender feels and aren't straight.
Clearly this isn't something that can be applied to all autistic people, just my personal experience.
I love art and ponies so much!!

Currently seeking ponies: Galaxy, Dewdrop Dazzle, Flitterheart, Twinkleshine, Sweetie Swirl, Sweetpop, Cherry Treats, Buttons, Baby Lucky Clover, Swirly Whirly, Tutti Fruiti, Sweet Clover

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal