collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: The Wonderful World of Accents  (Read 2886 times)

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
Re: The Wonderful World of Accents
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2015, 10:29:40 AM »
Took me awhile to get what you were referring to (ive been in PS for too long >>)

Yes, everyone has an accent--you just cant hear it unless you are hearing yourself as a recording (and that is creepy, trust me!  Im usually 'I don't sound like that!')

Do I hear it when im somewhere else? No, and people cant pin me down unless I say 'eh' (which is funny.  Its the American 'huh' or 'what' and its made out to be something soo much more)

That said, I usually subconsciously adapt and can take on the local accent without realizing it after a few days of being immersed.

ETA:  I got pinned down for being a valleygirl one night when I was dead tired and on a voip program.  We thought that it was hilarious since im not even from the west coast.

I think they said I was using 'like' a lot.  I cant remember.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 10:36:02 AM by melodys_angel »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline Kiwi

• Hippity Hoppity Site Admin
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • ~ Squeewi ~
    • View Profile
    • Kiwi's Paradise
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2015, 03:59:41 PM »
:lmao: MA = valley girl :haha:

I guess to others I'd have an accent, but of course don't notice it locally.
When we went to Nashville on vacation, I noticed we did all start picking up a bit of the accent from there. Took a few days to wear off.
 Kiwi ref sheet :bunny: *BUNNIES* :bunny: Avatar: Thank you SDS!

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2015, 04:25:16 PM »
I like to listen to pretty much any accent for a little while...but after three years in a different country (England) the accent I heard most there started grating on my nerves.  I felt bad about that.   :huh:  I never picked up a British accent while there, either.  I had an Australian housemate for a few years while living in Missouri, and I don't think I got tired of his accent, but he was not very talkative or loud. 

I grew up in southern Ohio in the USA, and always assumed that I had a straight up midwestern American accent.  But in college in the US, and in the UK, and where I live now people often think I am Canadian or from Minnesota or something.  I don't know.  I've only been to Canada once, for a few days, and I've never been to Minnesota, or Wisconsin, or nearby.  I guess I'll just have to admit I know nothing about accents!   :lol:
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline Einhornbaby

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+124)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://einhornbaby.contract-killers.de
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2015, 10:19:37 AM »
I speak Standarddeutsch (standard german aka written german). Its the german variant that it used for official paperwork and such.
My german though might still be influenced by my heritage. My maternal grandmother as well as my mother and my aunt are czech and speak a different variant of german. My mother has lost her accent over the years but my aunt still has it. My grandma (she passend away in 2011) spoke Standarddeutsch with a czeck accent too but she also spoke baurisch (a rare south german dialect, related to bayrisch/bavarian) with her brother.
My paternal family speaks a mixture of Ostfälisch (which can be heard in Hannover, Hildesheim, Braunschweig, Goslar, and Göttingen in Germany) and dutch so I think my german might still carry signs of this all.

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2015, 01:23:06 PM »
We all have an accent to someone. I live in the Midwest US and I am sure down south they can tell I'm more northern. But then again, I'm not extremely northern. My ex boyfriend's dad is from Connecticut, and he definitely had a northern accent that was noticeable.

I am definitely attracted to Scottish accents. I think they are extremely attractive on the men especially. :P

I also like the Japanese accent. I think it's cute.

Our family friend married a girl from Mexico and I think the Spanish accent is also quite charming.
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2015, 03:36:31 AM »
I have a Northen accent or twang as my non-northern friends call. If you think of Jon Snow or Eddard Stark, that's the sort of twang I have.

However I do live in the North so I guess it's to be expected.

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline zombienixon

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Pink Pony Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2015, 07:59:14 AM »
Oddly enough, even though I've lived almost my entire life in South Carolina, I have almost no distinguishable Southern accent. It's a tiny bit more pronounced when I'm talking with someone with a noticeable drawl, or if I'm tired, but other than that, you wouldn't know I'm from the South just by hearing me speak.

As a matter of fact, I have had some co-workers ask where I'm from because of my lack of an accent.

Offline SnorkMaiden

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2015, 01:34:35 AM »
When speaking English (which I do most of the time, naturally), I have an accent that people find hard to place. I think when I first came to the UK, my accent was more decidedly German, but as I interact with people from all over the world, my accent has changed to reflect that. Sometimes, I like to make people guess where I'm from when I first meet them, but they hardly ever guess Germany. I've heard American, Canadian, South African, Australian, Nordic etc. etc.

When speaking German, I don't have much of an accent. I think it's because the city where I grew up has a large university and a lot of international business, so there's not much in terms of a "local" accent. When I visit Germany and meet my elderly relatives, many of which have a rather thick local accent, my own accent grows a little thicker, but I think that's a case of subconscious adaptation.

Offline Tap Dancer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Dance 'n Prance with me! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2015, 02:43:03 AM »
Most of the time I don't really have much of an accent. Some might say I have a soft southern drawl. I was born and raised in Virginia.

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2015, 12:19:45 PM »
In Rhode Island most people speak without R's in words.  Instead the R's are replaced with A's.  Hmm let me think....lots of people here like clam chowder so you might here "clam chowda" or instead of car you might hear "caa".  I don't really think I have a typical Rhode Island accent.  I had one person from Rhode Island ask me where I was from and I'm like "I'm from here".  I lived in Kentucky for about 7 years and relocated back to Rhode Island about 10 years ago.  When I lived in Kentucky I developed a slight southern accent so I don't know if I still have it a little and have my sort of Rhode Island accent and they're mixing together.

Offline BethyVic

• Let It Be/Peace & Love Pony
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • There is still a light that shines on me
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2015, 08:36:00 PM »
I have always lived in Minnesota, and I have a Minnesota accent, although not as pronounced as some.  I don't usually notice it unless I am around people from different parts of the country or world.  I like all kinds of accents, especially British/Scottish. I would love to have one of those.
[email protected]

*Looking for MOC Starflash and her comb loose, MOC Peppermint Crunch and MOC Sky Rocket (sparkle) all US versions*

Offline octocorn

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Don't dream it, be it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2015, 04:02:42 AM »
I'm from the South, so I have a slight southern accent.  It gets way worse if I'm tired.  Usually people around here tell me I don't have an accent, but if you go up north people can peg me from the South immediately.  I think half the people from this area sound like Apple Bloom though, so compared to them mine would be nonexistent, lol

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2015, 03:00:43 PM »
Being someone who lives near Liverpool, I wish American movies would portray a wider variety of British accents, not just London posh or cockney X3.

Or something disturbing a la Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins.

My best friend (who comes from Stoke) reckons I sound Londonish. My accent changes slightly depending on the people I'm living around, though...I pick up stuff really easily, probably because I study languages and stuff (I dunno?) I'm Birmingham born but I don't sound Brummie. When I did that radio interview about MLP years back I remember a lot of people commenting on my "typical" British accent, but I've also been asked if I'm Australian, American, South African...so yeah. Who knows.

I like the Southern US accent (I had a friend from Georgia :D). I also like the Welsh accent, it's very pretty.

In Japanese, I love Kansai-ben and Oosaka-ben (which I can now understand at fair speed, albeit not quite as fast as regular "standard" Japanese). Some of the other Japanese dialects are harder to follow.

I don't really listen to accents so much as the language spoken in other countries and the sounds those make? I think Mandarin sounds very pretty, and Polish is soft and swishy.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Thrice

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • I drop science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2015, 10:57:31 PM »
Boring California accent here.  :)

Offline Portobella

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
  • Is it about my cube?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2015, 07:02:45 AM »
I've got a hybrid of Australian, American & British accents. I lived in Australia for most of my life, but took subjects at school on speech & communication which forced me to pronounce words properly, so I sound British/American at times. My partner is American, which also contributed  :P  Like some others here, I sound Australian to Americans, and American to Australians :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal