collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Do ponies with combs/brushes sell better?  (Read 750 times)

Offline jrr74

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • when life hands you lemons, make lemonade
    • View Profile
Do ponies with combs/brushes sell better?
« on: August 17, 2015, 12:18:11 AM »
I am starting to think about getting rid of my G1 collection and was wondering if they are more likely to sell if they have their brush or comb?  I would have to purchase these items so do I invest more money to increase my chance of someone buying them?  I know when I was buying, I could care less since I did not plan on displaying my mlps with their brush or comb. 

Thank you,
Jodi

P.S.  If anybody wants to buy my whole collection for $2500, includes Rapunzel, Mimic, both sets of Pony Friends and about 150 other ponies plus the pretty parlor, show stable, dream castle (all near complete) and then the waterfall...had to try ;)  Good night all
ISO Greek babies  ^.^

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Do ponies with combs/brushes sell better?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 12:31:44 AM »
Depends on the brush/comb, but generally no, it doesn't add a lot to the value of the pony, likely less than you'd pay to acquire it. Fully complete +NM condition, sure, definite value increase, but that's usually brush/comb, ribbon, possibly a sticker and possibly accessories as well.  Quite a number of collectors either don't collect brushes/combs or aren't fussed one way or the other if they're included, and the majority of brush/combs aren't super valuable even bought separately.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline daffodil101

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 04:14:57 AM »
I'd agree.  There are some combs that are sought after, like the candy cane ponies lollipop brushes or the princess ponies' glitter picks-- but again, I'd either sell them separately (I've seen them go for $10 sometimes), or else if you have the complete accessories to sell with the pony.  But in general it doesn't make a difference.

Offline jrr74

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 05:49:04 AM »
Thank you both for your responses.  I have bought some but will definitely quit.
ISO Greek babies  ^.^

Offline katrine2309

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Every day is someone's birthday - celebrate it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 01:54:21 PM »
Yes, if you don't already have them - I wouldn't spend my Money on buying brushes just for re-sell... Good Luck though! :)

Katrine
Visit my Flickr for doll & pony pictures!

My wantlist - pony wear, backcards & puffy/flat stickers

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 02:05:15 PM »
Complete ponies with all their accessories can often run for higher than the sum of their parts. But they usually have to have a few accessories and harder to find items. Seldom, unless its an unusual one, does just a comb or a brush add more value than their individual price. If you sell, just sell as you have - there is very little point in investing in more items that you are just going to sell on again. After all if you are buying in order to add value...then other collectors could just think the same and go the less expensive option of buying separate comb plus pony. 
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline jrr74

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 05:58:54 AM »
Thank you so much both for additional advice.  So unless the accessory is an valued item, or I have all of the accessories for that pony (which of course is hard to impossible to find), STOP buying, I am just throwing my money away. 

A  little poorer but wiser,

Jodi
ISO Greek babies  ^.^

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2015, 03:07:35 PM »
Even valued accessories will often sell for more by themselves rather than with the pony - it all depends on the item, and who happens to be looking at the time; collectors looking to complete an existing pony they already have vs. collectors who don't have the pony OR the accessories and want both.  Condition is very important too, generally if someone is looking to pick up a 'complete' pony with all accessories, they don't want one they'll have to upgrade later on down the line. 

If you're looking to turn a profit, it's generally more profitable to put that extra time into proper cleaning/grooming so you get nice sale photos rather than trying to track down accessories that you may not even make your money back on.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal