collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Do you buy all g1 Ponies that you find?  (Read 3473 times)

Offline DalaPony

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Do you buy all g1 Ponies that you find?
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2015, 06:33:22 AM »
Yes, always. I hardly ever find ponies in the wild, so when I do find them I definitely don't leave them behind!

Offline Flitter

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2015, 07:24:15 AM »
No. Shortly after I first started collecting ponies in 2011 with G4, I saw some G1s at a thrift store and picked them up at about $2-3 each. I took them home and cleaned them up and realized I didn't want to collect G1. I ended up selling them at a slight loss (they were common ponies and had some condition issues). So, unless I see something like MOC or that I recognize as a sought after pony I'd leave it now. It's not worth the trouble of cleaning and shipping and maybe breaking even to get them only to pass on. It'd be different if I collected G1 myself I'm sure. Though if they were in pretty bad condition I might leave them anyway.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 09:37:12 AM by Flitter »

Offline Tropical_Sunset

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2015, 07:40:31 AM »
No.  I used to buy pretty much all of the G1s I found and clean them up and try to sell them for cheap to get them circulating in the community.  Unless the pony is rare, super popular or nirvana, it's not really worth it to buy them.  I've had a pile of clean, unwanted G1s in my house for years.  They just don't sell, not even at $1-3.

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2015, 07:55:47 AM »
There aren't many G1 collectors around here, so yes, most of the time.  Unless it's super common in good condition, then I leave it for someone else's pony hunt!
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Ninox

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2015, 01:01:14 PM »
I was originally going to say that I only left one behind once, and that it was a tailless Parasol in an $8 bag full of non-MLP items, but looking back, I realize there are several occasions where I've passed on a G1, usually when I've seen them for sale in a couple of vintage/antique stores.

In those cases, I either already owned one or more of the ponies, they weren't on my wishlist or they didn't really "jump out" at me, but to be honest, in some cases I didn't feel comfortable with the idea of buying up all the G1 ponies in sight, even if I could afford to and had the space for them in my apartment. I just feel like leaving a few behind, just in case someone else who secretly still loves ponies finds them and decides to get them for themselves...and in a lot of cases, they disappeared from their stores in less than a week or two. ^.^
Looking for these two little Soma fakies:

(photos by Angervo and littlefox)

My Sales Thread

Offline Wind~Whistler

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • You got a twinkle in your eyes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2015, 01:20:33 PM »
YES! I don't have many G1s go start off *hides 15 or so G1s* so I mainly pick them up! The only pony I passed up was a moldy, rusty, hair cut, missing tail and plugs, rubbed symbol, grubby Starshine.

My best bargain was when I got Little Flitter, Tex with his hat, MINT Gingerbread AND Nice condition Princess Tiffany for 5 dollars  :dropjaw: :faint:
AKA Wind~Whistler on the TP 

http://www.ponylandtours.com
Thanks to Philly for my avi!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2015, 05:13:55 PM »
I've actually started taking ponies BACK to the community around here, if I know it's one that isn't going to sell online easily. If we go carboot selling, I try to keep the ponies back until the dealers have done their rounds. You can tell a dealer from a collector by the fact they buy Peachy, and they ask you if you have all the rare ponies, because they're in it for the money.

I really want to take ponies back because we took so many out of the area, and in case there are kids or local collectors who aren't online or can't buy them online. I only ever have a few, but they always sell. The last carboot we did, I had some really battered buildings that we gave away, but to this one family I sold a Grooming Parlour and Peachy, Sundance, Lickety Split, Sprinkles, a bunch of G3 stuff and there was so much excitement about it that I felt really glad I'd taken them with me.

Maybe I'm a bit mad, but my sister and I stripped this area of ponies for six or seven years. It's the least we can do to put some back into the market, so if I get common ponies in lots, that's where they now go. I think there are five or six ponies in my box at the moment destined for the same trip, if and when the weather is good enough.

I'd love to have some common US ponies to take, because I had a spasm myself when I found Glory and Moondancer at a carboot sale here, where they had no right being, but import costs are now prohibitive.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 05:17:26 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline buttonso

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2015, 05:22:48 PM »
I've actually started taking ponies BACK to the community around here, if I know it's one that isn't going to sell online easily. If we go carboot selling, I try to keep the ponies back until the dealers have done their rounds. You can tell a dealer from a collector by the fact they buy Peachy, and they ask you if you have all the rare ponies, because they're in it for the money.

I really want to take ponies back because we took so many out of the area, and in case there are kids or local collectors who aren't online or can't buy them online. I only ever have a few, but they always sell. The last carboot we did, I had some really battered buildings that we gave away, but to this one family I sold a Grooming Parlour and Peachy, Sundance, Lickety Split, Sprinkles, a bunch of G3 stuff and there was so much excitement about it that I felt really glad I'd taken them with me.

Maybe I'm a bit mad, but my sister and I stripped this area of ponies for six or seven years. It's the least we can do to put some back into the market, so if I get common ponies in lots, that's where they now go. I think there are five or six ponies in my box at the moment destined for the same trip, if and when the weather is good enough.

I'd love to have some common US ponies to take, because I had a spasm myself when I found Glory and Moondancer at a carboot sale here, where they had no right being, but import costs are now prohibitive.

Thats cool of you to, well, release ponies back into the wild, so to speak :D

Offline Haruna

• Ninja Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Many thanks to Nence for my beautiful avatar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2015, 06:30:32 PM »
The last carboot we did, I had some really battered buildings that we gave away, but to this one family I sold a Grooming Parlour and Peachy, Sundance, Lickety Split, Sprinkles, a bunch of G3 stuff and there was so much excitement about it that I felt really glad I'd taken them with me.

I love it when you get to sell to someone who you know will really appreciate the ponies. ^.^ It's a very good feeling!

I usually buy every G1 I see (which isn't often), but I can think of a few instances when I didn't; once was when I left a Moondancer and Parasol in an antique store because they were both about $10 and I had them already, and the other time was when I saw a Skydancer (or Firefly or someone in that pose) who had been sloppily painted red and given horns and black hair. I felt so mad when the guy selling it described it as a "pony of the apocalypse" or something. :pout: I badly wanted to rescue the poor thing so that someone could properly customize it, but $5 was too steep for me. Maybe I should have saved her, though :/

Offline Lady.Arachnia

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I, Myself, am Strange and Unusual...
    • View Profile
    • Boutique Gothique, Very Unique Gothic & Fantasy Wear & Jewelry
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2015, 11:12:39 PM »
I already posted on this tread....but that is what I also do indeed if I'm on a flea market or something like that! If the price is right, I ask the seller *Do you have more of these horsies/things* I never call them ponies ;-) and sometimes they say *Yes, look*....and pull a box of them from somewhere. Mainly fakies, or super commons, or in not THE best state. But mostly if I ask how much for all and the price is right I take them all. I just could not leave them there....ending up bought by parents who don't give a sh*t and gave them to their snotty children *sorry I'm not a children person* who torture them, with markers and scissors! And then say...*Oh well they only came from the flea market so I just trow them away!*

That's why I save as many as I could, just to bring them back into the community! ^.^

Thank you Artists for Itsy Bitsy Spider Pony! xxx

Offline starrypawz

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Nothing is True, Everything is Permitted
    • View Profile
    • http://starrypawz.deviantart.com
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2015, 12:15:22 AM »
I did when I first started collecting, I haven't actively collected for a while but now I tend to be a lot more discerning, like provided they can be cleaned up fairly easily I'm likely to grab them. It's also pricing, as I made mistakes like paying 2.50 for really grotty common ponies from someone at my local bootfair that was an antique dealer type person so generally if it's too expensive and I know it's a common pony I'll pass.

If you ever see a NARU starrypawz on Ebay it is in no way connected with me! Ebay handle is stella_lupus

Offline Aienhime

• Trade Count: (+14)
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2015, 07:52:36 AM »
I buy all gen1 I find, usually, unless they're really outrageously priced, like E10 for a Peachy or so. I usually leave gen2-4 behind, unless they're rare ponies, but I can't help but save all gen1 I run into! I think that's why I have 4 Cherries Jubilees now... :p

Offline Baby Crumpet

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • Never too many Tex's!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2015, 08:27:03 AM »
Yes! I come from a small town, so finding ponies doesn't happen often. {Saying that, recently I've had an influx of ponies from a local charity shop.} I don't generally get G1's, and if they're doubles I still get them to pass on to my sister. Luckily for me, most of the ponies I've found have been in nice shape or cleaned up well, so I don't feel too bad about spending on them.

:glitter: Thank you to Nence and starrynights for my signature and Trinity for my avatar :glitter:
Wishlist

Offline Haruna

• Ninja Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Many thanks to Nence for my beautiful avatar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2015, 08:55:45 AM »
I wonder if someday we'll be saying "I buy all ponies every time I see them!" since G2-G4 will someday be much harder to find in thrift shops, etc. (not to mention G1!)

Offline 01mlplover

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2015, 09:05:23 AM »
Defiantly! I can't leave any ponies behind lol

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal