collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

What generation(s) of MLP do you collect?

Generation 1 (~1982 to ~1995)
118 (33.4%)
Generation 2 (1997 to ~2003)
57 (16.1%)
Generation 3 (2003 to ~2010)
76 (21.5%)
Generation 3.5 (2010)
20 (5.7%)
Generation 4 (2010 to present)
82 (23.2%)

Total Members Voted: 124

Author Topic: What generations do you collect?  (Read 6450 times)

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: What generations do you collect?
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2015, 06:36:55 AM »
I collect G1, G3, and G4.  G1 was my childhood ponies and my first love.  Currently, I most actively collect G4 because they are what's in stores now.  But whenever I find g1 or G3 in the wild, I pick them up.

Offline CloudyGlow

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2015, 07:01:45 AM »
G1, G2, G3, and G4.  I like these gens because I think they are all cute!  They look massively different but I enjoy them all.  I do have some G3.5 on my shelves, but I don't actively collect them.  They are just ones got with other ponies.  Except the TAF Toola-Roola I bought at a thrift store because I'm a sucker for TAF and Toola-Roola is one of my fave ponies.

I think I like G1, 3, and 4 most.  I love G1 because they're like antiques.  I love G3 because they're what I had when I was a teen.  I love G4 because I like to draw ponies in that style, I love FiM, and they're what got me back into all ponies.

Offline unicornprincess

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2015, 07:04:33 AM »
for me G1 only
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank You Dorothy Rose for my adoptable

Offline Doedeardarling

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2015, 07:30:43 AM »
Mainly G1. I do have a small wishlist of G3s too, but I try to keep from adding any new ponies to that. I collected G4s for a little while, but I've fallen out of love with them, and plan to use the ponies I have for custom practise.

Offline Katika

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2015, 08:31:13 AM »
I technically collect them all, but am in different phases for each generation.

G1 and G3 I'm actively trying to complete, but since I'm down to the harder to find ponies for the most part, it's a slow process.

I go through phases where I'm actively after G3.5s, mostly because I want to hurry up and be done with them, but haven't gone looking for them in a while.

G2s I'll pick up if they're either a really good deal or someone is selling ones I don't have alongside the generations I'm actively after, but I haven't gone searching out any G2s specifically yet.

I'm actively after *current* G4s, as in I'm following the brushables and Fashion Styles as they are released.  I was mid-hiatus in my collecting when G4 first came out and it took me quite a while to warm up to them, so I have a pretty hefty backlog of ponies I missed.  I'll get to them whenever the FiM phase starts to sputter out and prices drop :) 

Offline Rainbowrific Renia

• A Pony Lost in the Stars
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Crazy ferret lady!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2015, 08:50:39 AM »
I mainly collect G4 since I got into pony collecting after I started watching FiM in 2011. 

I also collect G1 since they grew on me significantly after joining the Arena. 

I didn't grow up with ponies, so I have absolutely no nostalgic attachment to them.  I was very much a tomboy growing up and My Little Pony fell into the "too girly for me" category (don't judge me, I was a kid :lol:) but now I love them!

I can appreciate G2 and G3, but G3.5 freaks me out, so no thanks.  If I were to start collecting another generation of ponies, I'd probably go with G3 next.
Instagram / Want List

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2015, 08:55:48 AM »
I collect all gens except G3.5 (but I will take them home if I find them at thrift, I just don't actively seek them out).

I grew up with G3 and had some G3 merchandise but not many ponies. I just had some McD ponies and plushies plus posters and a tote because I didn't want to buy girl toys (I was a rough and tumble tomboy  :P)! I got super attached to G4 later in 2011 and then discovered the 80's ponies and realized that wow, I like G1 a lot more!

I don't currently own any G2 but I hope to find some soon because I love them a lot  :)
Avatar was drawn by tumblr user Yomirs, sig by LordBlumiere and Sweetpop!  :heart:

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2015, 09:12:12 AM »
I collect 1 because its what I grew up with and 3 because it got me back into collecting and to a lesser extent I collect  fakies. I tried collecting 4, but I just didn't like them. At least I gave it a shot.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 09:29:08 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2015, 09:12:33 AM »
This is going to be an answer of semantics, for which I apologise in advance ;)

I only collect G1. By collect I mean, properly all out collect. I know that everyone has a different way in which they collect ponies- some collect particular themes, some colours,some specific sets or years. With G1, I collect all of the mainstream releases (by which I mean all HK and China made ponies, plus the NC or Thai ponies sold within the main line). I collect minor variations on those ponies, I collect them mint in package and so on. I also collect some Nirvana ponies, but due to cost, I only pick and choose the ones I like. When I first got into variants there were none around online, and so I was basically buying Italian ponies and putting pics and stuff about them up on my site at the same time. It was something you could do at your own pace and there wasn't a lot of competition for them. Now the Nirvanascape is immense and very expensive in some quarters. I like to try and have one pony or item from each line if I like them - and some favourites - but I probably only have a handful even now.

My prime focus has always been on the UK - what was sold here, what wasn't, how it was sold, when it was sold, what weird things happened here (many ><), what variations existed between here and the other releases, and so on. That's still my collection nucleus, and it spreads out from there. (UK pony stuff is my Nirvana.)

In terms of the other generations, I have some ponies from each. Probably the most are G3, but I don't consider that I'm collecting them per se. With G4 I buy only the ones I like, and usually as souvenirs from my holidays. I won't ever pay more than retail for any G4 item, and I'm not bothered about completion or MIP or any of those things. They're just for fun to me. Same with the dolls. I don't like the FIM cartoon, I find it annoying. I prefer the EQD animation, but I'm not obsessed with it. I like the non Mane 6 morealthough Rarity reminds me of Glory so I like her. I have some that I know are harder to find but that was an accident. I brought Starswirl back from Lille...and Holly Dash I bought for myself as a Birthday present without even knowing she was complicated xD. I don't really consider that the same kind of collecting as I do with G1.

Generation 2, I don't honestly remember what I do and don't have loose in the box in the attic. I keep finding MIP ones I'd forgotten about, so I might have around 40 or so of them, but I don't think it counts as a collection if I don't know what they are. Again, several are from holidays to France and such.

Generation 3 I have a lot of. I went through a phase of wanting to get them all, and had help getting a lot of them but I ultimately got fed up with Hasbro's slanted approach to releases. The fact that the US had most of the exclusives made it hard to trade and therefore meant they cost more to acquire. I lost interest for that reason, and went back to my G1 UK ponies.

I don't like G3.5.

So basically, I collect G1. I have all kinds of fun nicknames for the G2, 3 and 4 ponies I can't remember the proper names for. With G1, on the other hand,I can name pretty much any pony in a blurred ebay photo with ten other ponies covering all but the nose. That's my collection, therefore. The rest are just for kicks ;)

« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 09:14:22 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline nemubones

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • With every mistake We must surely be learning -GH
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2015, 09:45:48 AM »
Mainly collect G1 as that is what I grew up with. I will collect some G3 and G4 if they have color schemes,symbols, or even characters I'm attracted to.

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2015, 12:44:57 PM »
I also collect G1s for nostalgic purposes. I grew up with them as a child and played alot with them.  I purposely set out to only collect g1 ponies but that didn't work very well once I saw the G3s in stores at the time. So then I ended up with G3s but then I started liking G4s. I have told myself to only collect one generation but there's something about the others that I like too but I don't collect G2s or G3.5s. I have ran out of space to display them and I have a few cases of my more special ones. Most of my stuff is in rubber-made containers for the ponies or boxes full of playsets and accessories. I really hope someday soon that I will have my very own pony/craft room. :/

Offline moevelvet

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2015, 12:47:16 PM »
I collect all gens, but I don't have any G3.5 yet, and I only have one G2.  I'm actively going after G1 and G4.
Current profile pic from: http://kero444.deviantart.com/
Ember by Nence

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2015, 01:00:18 PM »
G1 and G2.  I had G1 as a kid and G2 came out after I had started collecting so it was fun to buy them in stores again.  By the time G3 came out I was excited but it got to be too overwhelming so I stopped buying them.  I'm not that fond of G4 so I never really collected them, but I do have a surprising amount of Rarity/Celestia/Luna/NMM/CMC stuff. 

Offline Mirnyj

• Siamese PurrPony
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • A house is not a home without a siamese cat
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in finnish)
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2015, 01:57:40 PM »
The only gen I don't collect is 3.5. They are just too weird looking to me. G1 is my main interest tho. :)

instagram ~ facebook ~ online store

Offline BlushingBlue

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2015, 02:00:33 PM »
G1 and G3 for me. To me, the other gens are too stylized and not "pony-ish" enough. I'm already out of money and space, so I guess that's a good thing. :P

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal