collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Command Hangers By 3M, Advice Needed  (Read 615 times)

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
Command Hangers By 3M, Advice Needed
« on: August 01, 2015, 06:25:20 PM »
Has anyone used these?  I read some reviews on amazon but it didn't help me decide.  I bought a package at CVS that has 18 small hooks with 24 strips.  I have a small nightmare before christmas collection and I wanted to hang the reaction figures I have, (which are in the package) on the walls surrounding the bureau where the other things are from my collection.  The packages aren't very heavy in my opinion.

I've read horror stories of people taking the strips off and it taking the paint off.  Also, stories of people hanging the hooks up and a short time later their picture frame or whatever comes crashing down and breaks.  I probably should have researched before I spent $10 on this package but, I don't want to put nails on the wall and the commercials make it look so easy and convenient. 

I have also read good stories too so that's why I'm confused and need advice.

Thanks in advance.   

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
Re: Command Hangers By 3M, Advice Needed
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 07:02:25 PM »
Well..... I've had mix results. Sometimes, they hold amazingly well with no signs of loosening even with a heavier item. Sometimes they come off perfectly with no issues with the paint getting pulled off. Other times, even with a relatively light item, it comes crashing to the ground in a matter of days/hours. Other times, they pull the paint right off the walls. Most of the time, they work well for us, but not always, so for something important, particularly if it's something that can't be replaced, I really wouldn't recommend them.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline nessy_86

• Trade Count: (+93)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 07:03:57 PM »
They tend to pull flat paint off the walls and not the glossy paint (learned that from experience). I use them for many different things and haven't had them fall off except for with one item that was too heavy for them.

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 07:12:21 PM »
Thanks for responding. :)  My issue is worrying about the paint getting ripped off.  My parents wouldn't be too happy about that.  If the figures fall they would just fall onto my bureau.  I had thought about just taking some scotch tape and folding it around itself and putting a couple of pieces on the back of the figure boxes and sticking them to the wall but if I have them like that for a while the tape may tear off the back of the packages of the boxes.  I personally am not a MIB/MIP collector but they look great with the backcards and I have one figure which was a 2014 comic con exclusive early bird special.  I only paid $15 for it from a third party seller on amazon, while everyone else was charging $20-plus but until I can have more room to display the figures I'd rather keep them in their packages.  I totally feel like I wasted $10 on this and I didn't save my receipt, because I figured these wouldn't be a big deal.  I didn't open the package but maybe I'll just skip the idea of using them and give them to someone else to try.

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 10:02:19 AM »
haven't used them personally but that's good to know o.o

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline pony_magick

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2015, 08:51:46 PM »
I have used them lots and have no trouble at all over the years with paint coming off. The only trouble I've had is not letting it sit for a while before hanging things, as it made them fall off the wall.
I am a Dreamer/So a Believer

My want list.

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 11:52:21 AM »
I have used them lots and have no trouble at all over the years with paint coming off. The only trouble I've had is not letting it sit for a while before hanging things, as it made them fall off the wall.

Thanks. :)  Maybe I could try one or two and see what happens.

Offline elvenwine26

• Super Secret Squirrel
  • Trade Count: (+143)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2015, 08:58:30 AM »
Totally ripped the glossy paint off one of our walls at work, but not off the cabinet walls.  It's very hit or miss.
"How much for the horse tornado?"
"Sir, that's a carousel."
"I must have it!"

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2015, 02:01:35 PM »
I tried to use the kind that have the nail-like thing for hanging pictures. I followed the instructions that said to clean the area you were going to put the Command item on before using. When I did that it took some of the paint off the wall and if I remember correctly it didn't hold the item (large picture) very well either.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline kestral_kitsune

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • "We're all Mad here."
    • View Profile
    • my deviantart
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2015, 04:49:56 PM »
my work place has those banned from use because they tore up the walls, they don't seem to hold at all if your walls are textured or painted, or they hold so well that they take half the paint/dry wall with them D:. It was a pain trying to do a dismissal clean and have to wait for maintenance to come patch walls.
art page
Kestral ref!!   want list
designs for sale and commission information

thanks to SDS for my sig

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal