collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Any way to pre-identify Squishy Pops?  (Read 3979 times)

Offline Katika

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Any way to pre-identify Squishy Pops?
« on: July 29, 2015, 01:57:50 PM »
Okay, I'm not big on blind bags at all, but was feeling sort of down yesterday and randomly picked up one of the Squishy Pop balls.  Tiny little Scootaloo was in there and she's pretty much the cutest thing ever and I decided I need more of them.  I know with blind bags, there is a way to decode who is who before purchase.  Is there any way to do that with these little gems, or is it completely random? 

Please forgive me if this has already been addressed; I tried doing a search, but didn't come up with anything.

Offline mopthebunny

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Oooh, who lives in a pineapple under the sea?
    • View Profile
Re: Any way to pre-identify Squishy Pops?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 02:24:31 PM »
I would be interested to know, too :P
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Signature by LordBlumiere

Offline Aquatic Neon

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 02:31:56 PM »
I also have been wondering I got a couple free both were ponies, I liked them so I bought a couple more and they were dumb keychain things I was so unimpressed.

For Sale Wants

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 03:22:45 PM »
Sadly, I don't believe there is.  I've bought...way too many of them and they are all identical.  Be prepared to end up with a lot of beads in your search for the ponies, though.  I bought 22 of them the last time I picked some up (I live an hour away from the nearest store that sells them so I buy a lot at once because I don't make it there very often) and only 10 of them were ponies. 

Kudos on getting Scootaloo, though.  I got Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom but haven't gotten Scootaloo yet. 

Post Merge: July 29, 2015, 04:36:02 PM

So, in observing the balls closely, I've noticed that there are two small circles.  One has the numbers 1-5 and the other has the numbers 1-12 and there is a small arrow pointing at a number.  I don't know if that is the identifier or not without buying more and trying to figure it out, but that's the only difference I've seen in the packaging.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 04:36:02 PM by Pokeyonekenobie »

Offline Katika

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 04:48:27 PM »
Sadly, I don't believe there is.  I've bought...way too many of them and they are all identical.  Be prepared to end up with a lot of beads in your search for the ponies, though.  I bought 22 of them the last time I picked some up (I live an hour away from the nearest store that sells them so I buy a lot at once because I don't make it there very often) and only 10 of them were ponies. 

Kudos on getting Scootaloo, though.  I got Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom but haven't gotten Scootaloo yet. 

Post Merge: July 29, 2015, 04:36:02 PM

So, in observing the balls closely, I've noticed that there are two small circles.  One has the numbers 1-5 and the other has the numbers 1-12 and there is a small arrow pointing at a number.  I don't know if that is the identifier or not without buying more and trying to figure it out, but that's the only difference I've seen in the packaging.

Okay, well, I'm set on buying more of them this evening :)  I'll do my best to keep track of this as I open them (I was planning on seeing if they weigh any different between balls on my gram scale, too) and post results, if there are any to be shared :)  Thank you for giving me a possible place to start!!

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 04:55:55 PM »
It would be good to know if that is how to determine ponies vs beads because I have no use for the beads at this point.  I am repurposing the balls by painting them to look like pokeballs and I want to try customizing the ponies but the beads?  I just don't know what to do with them.

Offline CoonhoundBetty

• Skeen's Minion
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • SAHM/Wife of an artist/word nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 06:23:17 PM »
I actually got Scootaloo, Sweetie Belle, and Apple Bloom for my daughter on Ebay. I ended up returning a handful of the balls because all they contained were beads--out of 5 balls, only 1 had a pony. That's pretty crappy to do to a kid, and $2.99 is a LOT for 2 or 3 beads.

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 06:29:18 PM »
I actually got Scootaloo, Sweetie Belle, and Apple Bloom for my daughter on Ebay. I ended up returning a handful of the balls because all they contained were beads--out of 5 balls, only 1 had a pony. That's pretty crappy to do to a kid, and $2.99 is a LOT for 2 or 3 beads.

They're only $1.99 here, but I agree, that's a lot for stupid beads that nobody wants.  I think Hasbro would do better to do all ponies like the blind bags.  I wouldn't even mind if they were recolors.  It's still better than beads.

Offline CoonhoundBetty

• Skeen's Minion
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • SAHM/Wife of an artist/word nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 06:31:25 PM »

They're only $1.99 here, but I agree, that's a lot for stupid beads that nobody wants.  I think Hasbro would do better to do all ponies like the blind bags.  I wouldn't even mind if they were recolors.  It's still better than beads.
Oh, maybe they are the same here; I just remember being so angry when my daughter earned them for good behavior and then opened them to find.........beads. Major letdown there. Target let me return them though, no questions asked.

Offline Katika

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2015, 07:41:50 PM »
Holy smokes, guys!  They're only $0.97 at my local Walmart!  Unfortunately, out of the dozen or so that I checked, the 1-5 numbers only pointed to 2 and in the 1-12 ones, they only pointed to 10 and 11.  I had *thought* the one that I had at home (Scootaloo) was pointing at 9, but when I opened the other two balls, the 10 ended up being another Scootaloo, but the 11 was Sweetie Belle.  I have no idea if I'm on to something and should have tried to tough out digging through the bin longer, but these numbers are *tiny* and I was starting to get a headache.  I may go back and check some more in a few days after a few more are hopefully bought to see if I can find different numbers :)

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2015, 09:45:54 PM »

Hasbro doesn't make them. They are just a licensed product like the Funkos.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2015, 10:24:22 PM »

Hasbro doesn't make them. They are just a licensed product like the Funkos.

Well, they should still stop with the beads if nobody wants them.  They'll sell better if people know they're getting a pony.

Offline Seachanger

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2015, 11:14:25 PM »
If you shake the ball and feel/hear something move inside it's usually beads. The ponies don't do that. That's my very sophisticated method. :lol:
Thanks devonshireRed for the avi!

Offline Katika

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2015, 11:22:23 AM »
I'm now 5 for 5 on getting actual ponies out of these things... all of the balls have had the 1-5 pointing at 2.  I used Seachanger's shake test and bought two more today, both with the 1-12 arrow pointing at 10 (since that's pretty much the only number they have at my Walmart) and BOTH of the two I bought today were Scootaloos.... So could this mean that 10's are Scootaloo?  I wish I had other numbers to buy so I could test this out some more, but they don't seem to be selling very well, and I can't get into the bin through the top to do better digging :/

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2015, 11:13:44 AM »
I cant say I have seen anyone identify any concrete codes as yet but it sounds hopeful, Katika. Hopefully someone else is able to help out with a similar story!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal