collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Odd G1 Schoolhouse Play set?  (Read 1614 times)

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Odd G1 Schoolhouse Play set?
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2015, 07:39:50 PM »
This has been rather interesting, thanks for sharing.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2015, 08:06:34 PM »
The MIP Spring Song was from a special release - it was an actual boxed set featuring Spring Song, Sunnybunch and Sky Rocket - not so much an "added extra" :)

Interesting. I have heard about these kinds of issues but this is one I haven't seen. Do you remember if it was store specific or just at the end of the line in some areas of the country?

Isn't that the mysterious Scrub-a-Dub Tub set?  I'm pretty sure it was those ponies it came with.  So they could have a bathtub party??  I GUESS???

Anyway, I remember someone talking about it on the MLPTP years ago and I was flabberghasted when it turned out to be true and not just a rumor . . . She had the box for the set and, yep, those ponies were pictured on the box and everything.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 08:09:20 PM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2015, 08:22:54 PM »
Yeah, pretty sure as well it was a special boxed deal with the Scrub-a-Dub tub that included those three. (such weird choices, Hasbro!)
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline nemubones

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • With every mistake We must surely be learning -GH
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2015, 09:34:51 PM »
Thank you everyone  for the help on solving this little mystery. I'm super happy to own this play set finally as its super cute and having the box too! :lovey: I wonder if they did this with the Kitchen play set too?

They did it with surplus ponies a lot. I have a Baby Nightcap from a Kitchen set in this way.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 I thnik I heard the twins from that Slumber set also appeared in this kind of release and with Kitchens.

Also, UK stores liked to do their own combination offers. I remember Argos with Snuzzle and Baby Bow Tie's Stroller (go figure) and with the Kitchen, Woolworths did an offer in 1992 whereby they physically folded and shoved a Teeny Weeny pony ON CARD inside the playset, because I got my Little Rattles (Whiskers) that way with my kitchen. Such an inappropriate choice of pony but I guess she was small enough.

Isn't the MIP Spring Song also from one of these kinds of releases?

Like LadyG, I didn't know Lemon Drop was one of those used but it doesn't surprise me since the School was out at the same rough time as ShowStable II with CHinese Lemon Drop. Lemon Drop was a very popular pony in Europe, apparently >.> at least Hasbro thought so. Show Stable II is often called the German Stable or Pony Haus, because some websites have called it that, but it's actually a pan-European issue under the original playset name so it's not at all odd there'd be Chinese Lemon Drops in circulation in UK boxes.

I know Mum and Dad got my Lemon Drop from Hasbro around this time to go with my 2nd hand stable and she was Chinese, too - I imagine they had a lot of them, especially since the 2nd stable is a lot less common here than the first. So Lemon Drop isn't a US import like some of the otherswhich honestly makes a lot more sense than Baby Nightcap (who didn't get a proper release here but a lot of end of like releases ><)

The box is the normal UK box. It's the same as the one I had from childhood, only less abused (which is probably why it looks different!)

One question: Nemubones, does your playset come with a bell pull rope? For some reason mine never had one from new although it was listed on the box.
Yeah, it did come with a bell pull rope, Taffeta. It was a cornflower blue cord when cut doubled as the bell pull rope and used to make the jump rope as in the instructions. That's funny about the getting Whiskers with your kitchen playset! :lol:  Wonder why the Cookery or School ponies weren't included in their proper playsets?

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2015, 12:35:48 AM »
With the tub?! I need to see this box, I am now stupidly curious since that definitely never came out in my area. It is rather like the Snuzzle parlour to me...an unexpected playset release to mop up excess stock?

Hm, mine only ever had enough bkue for the skipping rope. There was never a bell pull option which I always found odd. I remember as a kid going through everything and the instructions but no luck.

Unattended baby ponies ib the kitchen was clearly a theme...

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2015, 03:04:16 PM »
Initially I would have said it felt like something to soak up stock but its a very deliberate set. I believe it was a store exclusive at the time but I dont recall which store...I want to say Sears if memory serves.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2015, 04:12:07 AM »
That would explain why I never saw it before! Are there any pics of it with box around on the net somewhere? Really very curious now. I have some sears scans from catalogues but earlier than this...
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 04:14:01 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2015, 08:23:03 AM »
Someone posted a pic in this thread:

http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,371896.0.html

Yeah, it feels like a store exclusive to me too.  I think all the leftover stock was sent to Hasbro UK.  AFAIK we didn't get anything like extra ponies added to sets.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 08:24:55 AM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline buttonso

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2015, 08:30:12 AM »
What a cool set, in such great condition! How interesting!  :biggrin:

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2015, 08:41:21 AM »
Someone posted a pic in this thread:

http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,371896.0.html

Yeah, it feels like a store exclusive to me too.  I think all the leftover stock was sent to Hasbro UK.  AFAIK we didn't get anything like extra ponies added to sets.

Thanks, LM! I hadn't seen that before, but it looks neat. Though you wonder how they all get in the tub (onsen style?) . Maybe there was a polite queuing system (British style, minus the impatient tutting!)

Its not a UK set though, right? Box has US spelling of colour and the style of packaging looks more like the US playsets from that time (as opposed to borders). That would make Sears very possible...but a UK store carrying it would have had to import it anyway.

As for leftover stock, we really did. I actually like that Hasbro used us as a dumping ground. It proves mlp was still popular here at the end of line, as discount G1 ponies were still being found in some remoter locations as late as 1996-7 and I found the bed and crib set and the kitchen in tru in Birmingham in 2000 when I was a student. I am still sure the new moulds in 1994 meant they planned to go on, but got cut abruptly, rather like happened with Jem...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2015, 02:47:02 PM »
I was going to say "no its a US set" but I actually have a feeling its Canadian. I need to dig out my old references to say for sure.
Loa is my love god!

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2015, 02:54:05 PM »
I thought Canadian packages were generally bilingual?
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2015, 03:54:53 PM »
I know thats the law now...and I could be well off but I think it was the late 70s that that law was put in place (so not sure on that one but recalling some age old documentary I watched :P). What I dont know is if certain things got away with it due to how and where released.

I know it was a store exclusive and I know it was North America. I dont know why I vaguely remember a Canadian connection :P But with the packaging I am probably misremembering that part for sure.
Loa is my love god!

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2015, 04:07:03 PM »
Sounds like we need a Canadian to clarify! I have some fashions on bilingual cards and I remember someone's childhood pics of Princess Misty in a bilingual box. I have seen others over the years but dunno if it was all stuff in Canada or just some...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Starfall

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • Keeping Australia Post afloat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2015, 07:39:19 PM »
So I'm kinda confused and curious as today I finally got my European Schoolhouse play set and it came with a MIB Lemon drop with it. Were there some countries that included her in this play set? From what I've seen and read there was no pony included with this but my box has a sticker with "pony included" and was still sealed when I got it. Any thoughts on this?

My childhood one in the UK did too! I have a feeling the box was in French.
Tinsel rehairer extraordinaire!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal