collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Slightly panicky  (Read 3014 times)

Offline klein

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • Dolls & Ponies oh my!
    • View Profile
    • Pullipsandjunk
Slightly panicky
« on: July 21, 2015, 04:08:27 PM »
This is not pony related but I'm having a bit of panic attack about this and could use some advice. Lately I've been focusing on downsizing my doll collection, I had the dolls listed up on various doll forums/facebook groups and my website. Someone contacted me via my website last week, they wanted to buy a DD head from me for $350 including shipping within the US. We worked it out via email, they paid on the 16th and I shipped on the 18th. I messaged them with the tracking number on Saturday after I got back from the post office and said according to the receipt it should be there Monday (yesterday). They messaged me today saying that the package had not arrived and that the tracking number was not working (maybe I copied it over incorrectly from the receipt? It's possible I guess?) and asked if I could double check the tracking number, not a problem! I sent them the tracking number again and I checked it on USPS's website before I did to make sure it was actually working. I wouldn't be worried if the package decided to take an extra day or two to get to the buyer as USPS has been a bit fickle lately for lack of a better word (I shipped something via priority to a friend in MA and it took a leisurely tour through most of New England before getting to her  :pout: ) BUT the tracking number is saying that it was delivered yesterday. The package was sent to the buyer's shipping address as provided by paypal that I also confirmed with the buyer before shipping. They have not replied to my email yet but I'm slightly panicky now as I don't know what could have happened.

Offline flying_narwhal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Etsy Store
Re: Slightly panicky
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 04:38:22 PM »
I've been in that situation before both as a buyer and seller so I know how worrying it can be! It is a such a horrible feeling when something says "delivered" but a buyer says it was not.  And USPS has been fickle lately, I agree.

A few of quick questions that might help in giving advice:

1. Did the tracking show the item delivered to the city/zip code the buyer provided?
2. Was there signature confirmation for the package?
3. What type of address was it? (such as PO, residential, etc)
4. Did you print out a label online (through paypal or USPS's website) or was the address handwritten on the package and then postage purchased at the PO?

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 04:45:51 PM »
Oh goodness. I always worry about this stuff and after a scare ages ago I never ship anything without signature confirmation, even if the buyers complain I just won't sell to them without it. Because that's the only way to know for sure. I've been on both ends of this, and in either situation it's awful. I hope this gets resolved quickly and maybe the carrier just put the package in a weird spot. I found a package that was marked "delivered" two weeks later because they put it under my porch...like seriously I would never have found it if I wasn't weed eating around the porch.
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline klein

• Dolls & Ponies oh my!
    • View Profile
    • Pullipsandjunk
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 04:46:15 PM »
1) It does show as delivered to the zip code that was provided by PayPal and confirmed by the buyer.

2) No signature confirmation unfortunately.

3) Residential  address, when I checked the tracking number it says something to the effect of left in mailbox.

4) I hand wrote the shipping label, I remember I double and triple checked the address as the street address was spelled a little weird ie. Greene but the buyer confirmed that is was correct.

Offline flying_narwhal

• Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Etsy Store
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 06:10:04 PM »
1) It does show as delivered to the zip code that was provided by PayPal and confirmed by the buyer.

2) No signature confirmation unfortunately.

3) Residential  address, when I checked the tracking number it says something to the effect of left in mailbox.

4) I hand wrote the shipping label, I remember I double and triple checked the address as the street address was spelled a little weird ie. Greene but the buyer confirmed that is was correct.

That info helps, thank you :) It is a a good thing that it shows delivered within that zip code- if the worst case scenario happens and a case is opened [which I hope won't happen!!!] this will work in your favor. Save that PO receipt as well.

Ok, here is my general response for these types of situations, should your buyer come back and say they did not receive it (I've had this happen a few times so I saved my response in case it happened again to save some time):

"Hi there, I am extremely sorry to hear that you did not receive your package despite being shown as being delivered... I definitely shipped the item out promptly and carefully packaged, I want you to know that. I will do my best to help you with this terrible situation.

Have you checked in with other family members in the house and neighbors? I would also advise you to go to or phone your physical post office and inquire with them as well. The item was sent in [PUT DIMENSIONS OR DESCRIPTION OF PACKAGE HERE, like type of box etc] if that helps in the search. I know this is a hassle and I apologize, but possibly someone at the Post Office might remember the package or have more information for us? Be sure to bring a tracking number as well. Perhaps there was a notice left for the package rather than attempted delivery and the item was marked delivered in error at some point. Unfortunately, USPS is not always the most reliable of services.

In the meantime I have filed a complaint through USPS' website regarding the matter. If you have the time please do the same:
http://faq.usps.com/adaptivedesktop/faq.jsp?ef=USPSFAQ&dest=EmailUs

I will be sure to let you know right away as soon as I hear back about my complaint and will keep you up to date as I try to help resolve this matter. Please do let me know if you gather any new information on your end, it would be greatly appreciated and hopefully we can track down this missing package. If you believe the package was stolen from your mailbox or property it is important to file a police report as mail theft is a serious crime and there may be a pattern of missing packages in the neighborhood.

Again, I am very sorry for the inconvenience and that there has been an issue with the package. I appreciate you letting me know that there was a problem and hope that we can resolve the issue to your satisfaction."

Feel free to edit and use this if you need to- I know that when I have been in these situations in the past that I am so frazzled and upset that I don't write everything I'm thinking coherently or clearly when responding to the buyer (which is why I saved a general template for such a message).

I will say that in the every case I've had where the buyer responded, the package was eventually found or "mysteriously" appeared.

Keep us posted on the situation, I'm hoping that everything works out!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 06:11:55 PM by flying_narwhal »

Offline klein

• Dolls & Ponies oh my!
    • View Profile
    • Pullipsandjunk
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 03:35:24 PM »
I didn't hear anything else back last night so I was kind of hoping that meant she found the package was maybe a bit embarrassed about it and I wouldn't hear from her again (not unusual lots of buyers don't let me know when stuff arrives and/or leave feedback anymore  >_< ).

Unfortunately that does not seem to be the case, I received an email back from the buyer a little while ago they still have not received the package and that they have given it an extra day. They said they believe the post man may have delivered the package to the wrong house and are going to check their local post office tomorrow to see if they know anything. I replied using the great template you made flying_narwhal thanks so much!

I'm going to my local post office tomorrow and see if they can find anything out on their end. I have no idea what paypal will do in this scenario.

Offline shelvesofwhimsy

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Shelvesofwhimsy
    • View Profile
    • Toy Collector & Miniature Maker
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 04:36:45 PM »
I think since you have the proof it was shipped with tracking you should be covered.
I know USPS messes up all the time so it was probably something on their end :(

Offline klein

• Dolls & Ponies oh my!
    • View Profile
    • Pullipsandjunk
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2015, 08:55:47 AM »
The buyer went to their local post office this morning though it shows as delivered it was not in fact delivered, the package is in the process of being returned to me and I will re-ship with required signature upon arrival. No idea what could have gone wrong but this hopefully sounds like it will have a happy ending here in a few days  :)

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2015, 12:26:28 PM »
Probably they misread your address (I think you said you wrote the label by hand?) and it is coming back as non-deliverable.

I would strongly recommend printing the label through paypal or through USPS.com if they paid by personal payment.  That way the buyer gets a link to the tracking number and the system automatically picks the form of the address that the USPS system will scan in as correct.

Good luck!

Offline flying_narwhal

• Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Etsy Store
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2015, 03:19:10 PM »
I hope it arrives safely back in your hands soon! I think the signature confirmation is a good idea  :)

Offline klein

• Dolls & Ponies oh my!
    • View Profile
    • Pullipsandjunk
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2015, 05:15:24 PM »
The package arrived back to me today, the address was completely blacked out so I'm honestly not sure what happened. I'm going to ship it out again tomorrow with a signature required for delivery this time.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2015, 02:25:05 PM »
The buyer went to their local post office this morning though it shows as delivered it was not in fact delivered, the package is in the process of being returned to me and I will re-ship with required signature upon arrival. No idea what could have gone wrong but this hopefully sounds like it will have a happy ending here in a few days  :)

Sounds like a post office issue. Our post depot has been known to sign for parcels which has caised all kinds of fun. Maybe it was undelivered because they couldn't find the right number.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2015, 07:30:49 PM »

Sounds like a post office issue. Our post depot has been known to sign for parcels which has caised all kinds of fun. Maybe it was undelivered because they couldn't find the right number.

This, I had a new phone signed for by a regional PO worker once, not even my local PO. What a hassle that was!

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline klein

• Dolls & Ponies oh my!
    • View Profile
    • Pullipsandjunk
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2015, 09:07:09 PM »
I shipped it back out this past Saturday and it was safely delivered today! I still have no idea what caused the issue.

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2015, 04:20:52 AM »
Good to know it arrived safely this time :hug: :bigups:  it does seem to be a PO issue/ mess up - or perhaps they couldn't find the number as the others suggested /were too lazy to ask or look harder..  but I guess we'll never know for sure and its all resolved now thankfully

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal