collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: prices Prices - how high shal you go?  (Read 2388 times)

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
Re: prices Prices - how high shal you go?
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2015, 02:23:25 PM »
I really love to buy here and the collectors and sellers are friendly and super. Though sometimes I cant get X pony. I just chalk it up to supply via demand. I cant go garage selling too much I dont have a car. Online shopping is more appealing and available to me. :/ I have payed alot recently for ponies but its not just the high prices its the fact I if want a certain pony and I will buy it.

Offline LightingElectricDream

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Collecting Since 2002 -
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2015, 03:10:47 PM »
I do agree with a lot of you. As far as ebay is, yes in a biding war the price will way up at times much more than normal. And it's buyers choise to pay that much.

I am more so knocked over by the -buy it now- price

And truse me I don't mind paying..it's more that I feel others don't have the same option as my self.

I just wish that the prices would have stayed about the same for most,
And that the commons would stay low as well.

I am thankful that we have a amazing comunity and I love you guys everyone!
I hope I didn't anger anyone and I am sorry if I did.

It's a little scary that maybe oneday I won't be able to collect anymore.
And I don't want to loose my mlp pals cus of that reason.
But I also know that there wil always a mlp comunity.
 :grouphug: :deathhug:
:accomplished:

Offline Marlin

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2015, 06:48:42 PM »
I think demand is always going to play a factor. I can't believe how much mimic for example has gone up in the last year alone. I thought she was already overly pricey around the $50-70 mark but she now repeatedly sells on ebay well over $100. *watches my chance of ever scoring that pony flutter out the window, lol*

I can't help but feel the pony market is so comparable to the housing market (in my country at least). Great for the seller - poos for the buyer, lol  :lol:

Offline Mermaid

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2015, 10:34:09 PM »
Here's some more food for thought:

Some ponies have come down in price tremendously! I just got baby Billie and the other two for less than $15 each. Now back on the day I bought them for $40 plus and sold them around that much too! Other ponies that have come down in price are the euro/German babies with exception of baby heart throb they've all dropped around $15-20 in price. I recently bought a Nbbe baby ribbon (my Grail pony) from tiggums for around $40. I never got her in the past because she was always $60-75! Other ponies who have dropped in price: baby berrytown and co, sea side babies, German rainbow ponies, and others.

But others have increased too the euro flower pony set comes to mind. I remember getting tulip and snowdrop for under $10 back in the day. Now they are sitting around double that.

The pony market is crazy!
Thanks to calico star for my avatar!

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2015, 10:45:55 AM »
I find that I get better prices here at the Arena when buying from other collectors.

The rising prices scare me too, especially because most of the ponies I need now are the uncommon and expensive ones. Ponies used to be a fairly cheap hobby and now it's very expensive. :(
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2015, 05:34:43 PM »
As has beensaid - you need to factor in the long term for some of these ponies. Remember when Baby Hopscotch was a $200 pony? Or, more recently, when Oakly and Leaper were $100+.

G1 ponies dont have a retail value - a seller can charge what they like and a buyer can pay whatever they want. A high price is not "wrong" - its simply what someone wishes to sell something for.

Unfortunately I do dislike threads which perhaps make sellers embarassed to ask what the are asking for. At the end of the day, if someone does not like the price they dont have to pay it. And if not a single collector will pay, then the price will eventually drop. But no doubt someone may come along keen enough to pay. And that person should be allowed to do that with no worries and no concerns about being judged for over paying.

Pony prices, as a collective and as individual ponies, go up and go down. Its going to be influenced by everything from the actual world economy to popular culture. Pony prices are set by an average of what people are willing to pay but such prices are very much a rough idea - ponies will always go higher or lower than this.

Right now, I agree a lot of ponies are priced higher than they would perhaps even have been 12 to 6 months ago. But those prices are high because people are willing to pay them. Dont get me wrong, sometimes I raise eyebrows at a price, and then am very grateful I already have that pony in my collection. But I have had just as many experiences looking at an average price and cringing because I spent much more (at the time the average).

No one here has the right to say someone is over charging or over paying - a seller and a buyer can do as they wish after all. So no I dont personally agree with the idea of a "community message" about lowering prices. It works both ways - you may need to pay more for a pony but if selling you would be able to charge more.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline mimicsno1fan

• Trade Count: (+119)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2015, 02:17:29 AM »
As has beensaid - you need to factor in the long term for some of these ponies. Remember when Baby Hopscotch was a $200 pony? Or, more recently, when Oakly and Leaper were $100+.

G1 ponies dont have a retail value - a seller can charge what they like and a buyer can pay whatever they want. A high price is not "wrong" - its simply what someone wishes to sell something for.

Unfortunately I do dislike threads which perhaps make sellers embarassed to ask what the are asking for. At the end of the day, if someone does not like the price they dont have to pay it. And if not a single collector will pay, then the price will eventually drop. But no doubt someone may come along keen enough to pay. And that person should be allowed to do that with no worries and no concerns about being judged for over paying.

Pony prices, as a collective and as individual ponies, go up and go down. Its going to be influenced by everything from the actual world economy to popular culture. Pony prices are set by an average of what people are willing to pay but such prices are very much a rough idea - ponies will always go higher or lower than this.

Right now, I agree a lot of ponies are priced higher than they would perhaps even have been 12 to 6 months ago. But those prices are high because people are willing to pay them. Dont get me wrong, sometimes I raise eyebrows at a price, and then am very grateful I already have that pony in my collection. But I have had just as many experiences looking at an average price and cringing because I spent much more (at the time the average).

No one here has the right to say someone is over charging or over paying - a seller and a buyer can do as they wish after all. So no I dont personally agree with the idea of a "community message" about lowering prices. It works both ways - you may need to pay more for a pony but if selling you would be able to charge more.

I think this sums up my feelings exactly

Offline ValeofSpring

• Trade Count: (+90)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2015, 06:24:57 AM »
I think the rising prices are a good thing in that it's the sign of a strong and growing fanbase for MLP (particularly G1). I'd rather be part of a thriving community than one that is dying away. So while I understand the frustration, there is a positive flip side, and yes, as has been said the prices are continually in flux.

Also we all need to make sure to distinguish between high prices and what is actually selling. I've noticed that on eBay (especially lately) many ponies (and playsets--the Pretty Parlor has suddenly become commonly listed at $90, even without all the pieces!) are listed too high by sellers with little or no experience with MLP, and most of these ponies do not sell. The author of this thread is noting ponies like Bubbles, Gusty, etc., *selling* for high prices, which is different than them simply being listed for high prices--an important distinction!
Looking for CF Minty, excellent condition! (and maybe Snuzzle and Blue Belle)

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2015, 06:56:21 AM »
So it's not just me. :/ I think it's part of the reason I haven't bought many ponies lately, is that I'm always on the hunt for a bargain and the few G1s that seem to get newly put up on eBay are priced so high!

Oh well, I can just buy here. Prices tend to be better and I can support people in this community. :P
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline Haruna

• Ninja Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Many thanks to Nence for my beautiful avatar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2015, 08:00:46 AM »
I am more so knocked over by the -buy it now- price

Yeah, I totally get what you mean! It's so common now to see a pony listed as a buy-it-now three times her worth. I've watched auctions like that in the past, hoping the seller would reduce the price when she sees it doesn't sell. One of the annoying things is the option sellers have to relist the item automatically three times if it doesn't sell. (nothing against sellers, I am one; I just see this option when I list, though I never choose it). That usually means the item stays at its high price for at least three weeks.  -_-

Here's some more food for thought:

Some ponies have come down in price tremendously! I just got baby Billie and the other two for less than $15 each. Now back on the day I bought them for $40 plus and sold them around that much too! Other ponies that have come down in price are the euro/German babies with exception of baby heart throb they've all dropped around $15-20 in price. I recently bought a Nbbe baby ribbon (my Grail pony) from tiggums for around $40. I never got her in the past because she was always $60-75! Other ponies who have dropped in price: baby berrytown and co, sea side babies, German rainbow ponies, and others.

This is true. :) Some ponies that used to be expensive are not nearly so bad anymore.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal