collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What do you think of the new smartphone mark thingies?  (Read 2151 times)

Offline Honeycomb

• Looking for BB brushes and bandannas!
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+137)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Wanted: MIB FT Baby Tic Tac Toe
    • View Profile
What do you think of the new smartphone mark thingies?
« on: June 15, 2015, 11:13:09 PM »
For lack of better words. I don't know how to say it. Scan the hoof with the smartphone and get a smartphone pony game.
I think it's the biggest rubbish I have seen on toys. Shouldn't toys actually promote to play with THEM? Instead of playing computer games?
If I were a parent, I'd acetone it off directly, or not buy them for my kids at all. Totally counter-productive for kids play and education.
What's your opinion?

Offline MiRaja

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://lilmissroadrage.livejournal.com
Re: What do you think of the new smartphone mark thingies?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 12:07:49 AM »
It's just another Hasblow Gimmick in a very long line of gimmicks. 

It's why Hasbro has managed to stay in the game despite poor quality for almost 100years now. . .  Gimmicks and adapting to new technology and the market around them. 

The original MLP lines certainly had their own long list of gimmicks, this is really no different. 

Offline BerylBreeze

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 12:41:56 AM »
I could care less about the app, and think the mark is sort of cute but tacky compared to the G3 heart hooves.
The thing I don't get is - why does EVERYTHING have to have some sort of app with it nowadays? It's like you need a phone and apps just to do anything now.

Offline Noxxbunny

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 02:06:18 AM »
The original MLP lines certainly had their own long list of gimmicks, this is really no different.

Pretty much this. This is the gimmick of the time right now.

And I don't blame Hasbro for going for this angle. It's just what's popular and where the money's at right now. Just like always, there needs to be a "wow" factor to draw kids into an otherwise "plain" toy and app games get a lot of kids hook, line, and sinker when it comes to what they choose to beg their parents for in the toy aisles.

Though, it will be super lazy on their part as usual. They're just going to re-release the same ponies all over again, and now kids have a new bargaining chip when it comes to convincing their parent to buy them their millionth Pinkie Pie. "But mooooooom, my old pony doesn't work with the game! This one is new!" But hey, that's business. I'll just be buying any re-released ponies that I don't have.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 02:09:54 AM by Noxxbunny »

Offline Dreamer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 02:09:03 AM »
On one hand I like them as a bonus feature and as an extra symbol (okay not a heart hoof but in some ponies is not a big black glitched heart but in a pastel color that suits them). Plus let's admit it, I like gimmicks!

On the other hand I understand that people think of them as Habro wanting a piece of cake from the Skylanders' success.

But I would have to see the app before I made more opinions. I would love it if it was like a virtual pet app like Tamagotchi or Pou.

Offline Goanna

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 02:49:30 AM »
I don't mind that much. In terms of the physical marking on the pony, it could be worse. G4s have had a lot uglier designs than a simple heart on one leg  :P
I also think maybe it could be a good thing: what if they release a whole lot of new characters, so that they can be in the game?

Offline Rainbowrific Renia

• A Pony Lost in the Stars
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Crazy ferret lady!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 06:19:11 AM »
I also think maybe it could be a good thing: what if they release a whole lot of new characters, so that they can be in the game?

That's what I'm hoping for!

As for the game itself?  Ummm... it's dumb.  I'm not sure how much fun kids will have with it, but I was sorta hoping for something cute and entertaining to pass the time.  The voice acting is pretty bad, imo.  I just uninstalled it last night.  I do look forward to the new characters that have already been shown and hope that more will come after. ^.^

Also, I'm not sure if this is the worst thing to happen to toys.  More than anything they're promoting playing with the toy itself and getting another use out of it by being able to play with the same character in a game on a mobile device.  Very gimmicky yes, but not all that terrible.  I mean, Skylanders, Disney Infinity, Amiibos, in a way they're kinda similar to that.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 06:30:44 AM by MoonbeamStar »
Instagram / Want List

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2015, 07:00:42 AM »
Mmm, its nothing that hasn't been done before with other toys. I know there's a line of very cute animal plushies that do something similar.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2015, 07:13:32 AM »
I don't even own a cellphone... that should tell you my feelings on the matter. 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2015, 09:23:05 AM »
I don't have a smartphone or anything (I have an old flip-phone..) so I can't use the app anyway. -shrug-

It doesn't really bother me that they're doing the Zapcodes, I just wish they were under their hoof or somewhere else less visible.

Offline CupidStrikes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Angry little slice of pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2015, 09:53:54 AM »
I think it's cute! Most children these days have smart phones or at the very least have access to the internet, so pretty much every single toyline is trying to capitalise on this.

I don't see how it's counter-productive for a child's play time or education, it's just a different way of playing with toys. I haven't downloaded the app (I have a Blackberry so I imagine it's not compatible), but I think it sounds cool, and I think the zapcode markings are pretty cute, though granted they could be nicer in a different colour but I don't think they would scan well otherwise - which is the more important part :lol: I really hope it works out and is fun for children to play with.
Idly searching for: loose, good condition G4 Blossomforth, Starbeam Twinkle, Plumsweet. TTM Celestia doll's wings Within UK or EU only, please.
Will also take in Pretty Pony Club (UK magazine) fakies.

Offline silverdragon54

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2015, 09:56:06 AM »
The thing I don't get is - why does EVERYTHING have to have some sort of app with it nowadays? It's like you need a phone and apps just to do anything now.

This, this, this, all of my this. I don't own a smartphone, I'm developing an irrational hatred of people enslaved by their smartphones, and I intend to keep using my old dinosaur cell phone until it disintegrates. :P

If they put the code on a card inside the package I wouldn't mind, but I don't want yet another freemium game designed to make kids spend their parent's money rubbed into my face every time I look at my ponies! I think my MIB collecting days may be over for the foreseeable future. Those codes are getting acetoned off.
Will make custom plushie for MIB Fashion Style Applejack. PM for details!

See my pony art here!
My items for trade
My wanted list
My plushies!, Handmade plushies for sale!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2015, 11:58:01 AM »
I could care less about the app, and think the mark is sort of cute but tacky compared to the G3 heart hooves.

Agree with this. I remember seeing a baby-safe cover for a Smartphone in one of the shops round here a few years ago, when shopping for gifts for my cousin's children. It was for ages 0-18 months. I really don't think that a kid needs a mobile phone till they're in secondary school at least...they certainly don't need to be playing with them at age 0-18 months.

Unfortunately I think that makes me "old" in my mental perspective - but I really think that imaginitive play as kids these days is more restricted as toys do so much and there are so many computer games instead. I work with a lot of students who struggle with seeing the bigger picture in particular circumstances. I am certain that there is a cause and effect at work here - if you don't train that part of your brain, then you just don't end up using it.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Malicieuse

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • All gen collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2015, 12:13:17 PM »
I only know that the models used in the Equestria Girls app are terrible.
http://www.mlpmerch.com/2015/06/equestria-girls-app-available-on-apple.html#

Just look at those eyes and arms....Uaagh...

Offline gabumon

• Daddy Sweet Celebrations
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2015, 12:16:02 PM »
I think anything getting kids under the age of 10 to use ipads/tablets/smartphones is bad.  Kids need natural play to develop their brains properly.

The argument I hear is "but I don't want my kid to be out-of-touch with technology.. they will need it when they're older".    To That I say... technology is getting easier to use (to learn) every year, there's no way a 10 year old who hasn't used a tablet PC is going to be behind academically/professionally if they' haven't used a device before.

I don't hear anyone saying they wish they would have taught their kids more Apple IIe in the 80s.

Shame on Hasbro for promoting mind-rot of youngsters.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal