collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: First time Dollyhair buy...what should I do?  (Read 1197 times)

Offline PrincessStarlily

• Ponyland Historian
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Jeremiah 29:11 - God has a plan for you!
    • View Profile
First time Dollyhair buy...what should I do?
« on: May 27, 2015, 03:28:49 PM »
Hi everyone! :art:

So, for a while I've had this darling unfinished custom by YellowCat--and she's been sitting bald in one of my bins for months, awaiting new hair! I've decided it's about time to give her some locks, and wanted to ask questions about your experiences with Dollyhair before I decide to buy.

On the DH nylon page (I assume that's the blend used for ponies?), there's an option to buy a "My Little Pony hank" for $3.12. Would this be enough to root a Core 7 G3 with standard length hair or longer (mane and tail)?

There's also an option to buy the same amount of hair in a blend of 2-4 colors. Have any of you purchased blends, and how did they turn out for you? Photos would be great!

Lastly, would you recommend buying straight from the site or from a customizer here on the Arena?

Thanks for your help! :hug:
Starlily
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to Storm.Runner for my avatar and SDS for my sig!
Painted LaceMelody RoseJuniper JoyStarlily

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: First time Dollyhair buy...what should I do?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 03:43:33 PM »
Yeah they give you a lot of hair, the service is pretty good, I've bought from them and didn't wait longer then maybe a little over a week tops. I think there's a dollyhair trade thread somewhere around here and you can buy from an arena or tp member too.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 03:45:18 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline PrincessStarlily

• Ponyland Historian
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 03:57:58 PM »
Thanks, Leave a Whisper! What about color matching? Do you trust the online pictures? I'm just a teensy bit concerned that the hair won't look exactly like what I want. :blush:

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 04:10:39 PM »
For me, the MLP hank is definitely enough for a regular-length G3 or even a G1. 

I have purchased two blends of two colors each (black and blue, black and burgandy) but I haven't used them yet so I don't have any photos, sorry!  I think I prefer to buy solid colors, myself.

I usually wait until I need several colors to buy from Dollyhair.  If you only need one hank, I would check here first in the dollyhair trade thread.  Would probably save you on shipping!  But also, Dollyhair will send you samples of i think up to 5 hair colors if you request so with your order.
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline Kazzellin

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 05:20:49 PM »
For me, if I want the pony to be the equivalent of a SLH (Super Long Hair), I cut the hank in half and use it that way. Depending on the pony, you can normally get two done with that hair. More ponies, if shorter hair. Just keep in mind you need about 1" of added length to wrap it around your finger for the tool method.

I've rarely had any problems with Dollyhair. I think the only time we did was when she was caring for a family member and left someone else in charge? Something like that. Very friendly folks, regardless. :)

I've never bought one of their blends, since I tend to blend my own, but I haven't heard from anyone having issues. The photos tend to be quite accurate in my experience. I don't know that she has dye lot issues, anyway; never heard of that being the case. :)
My creativity keeps running into a lack of time and resources.  :cry:
I'm also available via twitter at @Kazzellin :)

So many projects!! What do I want to work on? :awake:

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 08:13:11 PM »
Thanks, Leave a Whisper! What about color matching? Do you trust the online pictures? I'm just a teensy bit concerned that the hair won't look exactly like what I want. :blush:

The color match seems to be good, but I personally am not always the best judge of matching color online  till I get it, but she's good about mentioning when a batch has come lighter or darker and when a batch matches or comes pretty darn close.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Katika

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 09:16:20 PM »
I like to rehair thick, so I usually buy two hanks per pony, just to be safe.  I've never had to use both full hanks on a standard rehair job, but it's nice to know I have it on hand :)

If you're looking at a color that you think might already be on a Hasbro pony, you can usually shout out to customizers here to ask which pony X color matches.  For those that aren't already on ponies, you can sometimes get better matches from other artists if they compare them to eye colors or colors used in preexisting symbols.  Monitors vary in the way color is shown, so I always like to have a solid match to a standard, physical object to go off of too :)

Offline Loona

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2015, 01:02:29 PM »
If you're looking at a color that you think might already be on a Hasbro pony, you can usually shout out to customizers here to ask which pony X color matches.  For those that aren't already on ponies, you can sometimes get better matches from other artists if they compare them to eye colors or colors used in preexisting symbols.  Monitors vary in the way color is shown, so I always like to have a solid match to a standard, physical object to go off of too :)
I wanted to recommend something like this too. when looking for colour matches I usually do a Google picture search for something like "rehair/reroot [Dollyhair hair colour name]", and it usually brings up several pictures showing rehaired ponies, and the simply rehaired, otherwise not customised ones are usually a nice base for colour comparison because you can check their colours in your own collection and then compare, or do further picture searches that might compare the rehaired pony to the one you want to customise.

another good thing to do is to check a matching site to find out which pony's hair the colour is an exact match to (if a match is not listed on the DH site), which you can then check IRL on a pony you own that has that hair colour.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 01:04:03 PM by Loona »

My lovely awareness adoptable was created by HollowZero.

Offline PrincessStarlily

• Ponyland Historian
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2015, 01:04:13 PM »
Thanks for your help, everyone! I'll definitely have to do a few Google searches. :) I also posted in the Dollyhair trade post, so hopefully someone has the colors I'm looking for.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal