collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Paint problems  (Read 510 times)

Offline Doedeardarling

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Paint problems
« on: May 19, 2015, 03:00:36 PM »
I don't usually do fbrs, because I like to touch my ponies and the paint just doesn't feel right, but I had a bait with cancer I wanted to give a new life to and I decided to give it a shot. But now I have a problem. The paint (+varnish I coated it with to protect it) keeps getting dented and chipped by the most light touch of anything with an edge. While I can do touch ups now, I was going to give this custom as a gift to a friend, but I can't gift something that doesn't stand a chance surviving the transportation. So, if not to save this custom, then to avoid this sort of thing in the future, I need advice. Is the problem with the paint I am using, or the varnish, or is this just something that happens with fully painted ponies?

Offline Dreambaker

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
    • Ask Dream Baker
Re: Paint problems
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 09:37:19 PM »
Could you tell us which paints and varnished you used? Also how did you prep your bait?
Currently looking for the "Concerned Pony" fakie

Offline Doedeardarling

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 08:25:12 AM »
Acryllic paints and varnish, matt, water thinned. I soaked the bait in Vanish (oxyclean) in hopes of evening out her color, before deciding that I was going to paint her, other than that and a good wash with hot water and soap, I didn't do any prepping. She's a G1 BBE.

Offline Whippycorn

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 09:13:01 AM »
That's a shame.

More questions...how did you apply the paint? thin layers? one thick layer?

**** ARENA SALES ****

**** EBAY SALES ****

Offline Doedeardarling

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 11:37:35 AM »
Thin layers, but lots and lots of them because I wanted the surface to be as smooth and paint stroke free as possible.

Offline Whippycorn

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 01:06:18 PM »
Hhm... I think usually that method is quite robust (as long as you have enough layers). I wouldn't expect it to mark so easily once sealed, unless the quality of paint wasn't good. :huh:

The only thing I can think is to try a different sealer and hope it will provide better protection...hopefully someone more knowledgeable will have some ideas.
**** ARENA SALES ****

**** EBAY SALES ****

Offline Uninu

• Glows and sparkles in the dark
  • Trade Count: (+80)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 01:21:51 PM »
I have had that problem sometimes. Adding a sealant level before the FBR has helped, but I use spray sealants and not wet sealants. The problem may be the sealant or the paint or the bait - the sealant may be cracking the paint or the paint may not be suitable or the bait may have some oil or something in it to make it cause the cracking. Hard to say which is it, so maybe try different things?

Offline Dreambaker

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
    • Ask Dream Baker
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 09:17:34 PM »
I meant what brands did you use. I always give my bait a quick wipe down with acetone to remove any mold release (make sure you wash it after) and that helps the paint stick. Also I use Windex to thin my paint, instead of water which seems to help with adherence. Make sure you let every layer completely dry before the next and I would even suggest waiting a full 24 hours after the last layer before adding sealant.
Currently looking for the "Concerned Pony" fakie

CeciliaB

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2015, 03:24:33 AM »
Without knowing which paint and varnish brands you used it's hard to say for sure but I think they're the problem, other or both. I made a custom once that had the same problem. I mixed some cheap acrylic paint with Game Color paints for her and for some reason those too didn't work together. I've used both on their own too and they've worked well. My custom turned out fine after I varnished her though.

Other thing that came in to my mind is this: how about timing? Did you paint and varnished her in one go? Maybe your paint wasn't try enough before applying the varnish? I never apply varnish the same day I've painted my bait, I wait over night even if the paint's supposed to be try in 10 minutes or so. 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal